I feel like my right hand is missing

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by littlekiwi, Mar 21, 2020.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

(not literally!).

My nearly 4 year old laptop has always been a bit temperamental especially starting up programs. I never know if im going to get one copy of a program open or six (think I dealt with the two culprits that were causing most of the issues behind the scenes) but more recently using large folders (which my scrappy stuff is) and PSE is torture to the point I'm not interested because it takes so long for my laptop to do anything after maybe 10-20 mins - its annoying because Sunday nights I have hours to scrap. If I could complete a layout without tearing a body part off it would be ideal, I don't scrap a lot as is because of health so want to take advantage of when I can.

Windows 10
    Photoshop Elements 15
    My hard drive is a 1tb one and its about half full

I don't know whether to pretty much stop using my laptop til I get ram or what really. Right now this laptop is only semi useful for internet browsing and word documents unless I'm really lucky.

2. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Oh girl, no advice here, but I am suffering from really really slow machine and crashing PS CC.

3. littlekiwi

@Dalis, luckily mine doesn’t crash yet.

Dalis likes this.
  4. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

When my cpu starts dragging, I can tell it is time for a reboot of our router and/or modem. Sure enough, tonight DH discovered router needed re-booting (they do from time to time). It is pretty new, but he will be ordering a new modem tomorrow I think. I don’t use a laptop, so don’t know if they face this issue.

5. littlekiwi

Because I use an iPad mainly for recreational bits doubt that’s the issue. The issues are from starting up and I shut down everything properly

6. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Mine is crashing EVERY SINGLE DAY! Obviously when I try to save! The good thing is that the cloud at least saves some version of it!

7. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

How much of ram do you have?
    While a full hard drive affects things, half full should be fine. Slow programs are usually a ram culprit not a hard drive culprit.

Tree City likes this.
  8. littlekiwi

I’ve got 8 now, want 16.

9. littlekiwi

I should update, I disabled and/or deleted some programs that I didn’t need or want that were starting up when I turned my machine on and since then my laptop has been much faster and more efficient. I’m still planning on doing a RAM upgrade at some point but for now it’s all good.

Tree City and bestcee like this.
  10. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Glad to hear it!