I could cry...

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Frumpje, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Frumpje

Frumpje Summer is made for memories

pffff, I just send out an e-mail to the school of my boys to tell them that I'm going to change the eldest to another school in the middle of schoolyear...
    This is what I really hate about parenting... How do you know that you are really doing the best thing for them?
    I'm not sure if he will feel better at the new school. He doesn't even want to leave his friends!!!
    But the new school is so much more person-oriented and not grades-oriented.
    He is going from a school with 400 kids to one with 80 kids, but still... is it a better school? If 400 choose for one school, why only 80 for an other school.

So even if my heart tells me I'm making a good decision, my heart jumped up and down, my stomach turned around and my whole body started itching... and... I could cry!

Juliestcyr likes this.
  2. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

HUGS mamma! I don't know what to tell you to be truthful. It will probably be hard for you and him at the beginning, but there is a reasoning behind the change you are making and mamma's know best!

bbymks5 and Frumpje like this.
  3. lizziej

lizziej Active Member

As @Dalis said, there's a reason why you are making the change, and something told you it was the right thing to do; you are fortunate to be able to make that change. If had wanted to do something like that, I wouldn't have had a chance, because my son goes to public school, and it about takes an act of Congress to go to another public school. Then there's private school, and those are expensive. Keep us posted on how it goes! Hugs to you!

Frumpje likes this.
  4. Frumpje

He's going from a Catholic school to a Christian/Evangelic protestants school, both are paid buy the governement, so it's no private school for sure.
    I'm not sure how hard it will be to change him schools, some articles say you can only change in september and otherwise you need a politician to agree with it, other articles state you can change kids whenever (before the age of 12).
    I think we will hear it soon if it's a problem, but the new school is welcoming him on Monday (we have springbreak now...)

lizziej likes this.
  5. kimingvtx

kimingvtx I'll try anything once!

Hugs Mama! The best advice I ever got about parenting is to love them! If you love them that's 99% of it! You are doing what you feel needs to be done. (I also told my kids who are now 30 and 26 yo that if I didn't screw something up -- they wouldn't have anything to write a book about or talk to their therapist about.) :)

Frumpje likes this.
  6. dawninskip

dawninskip Well-Known Member

Mum always knows best ... trust you'll make the right decision for the right reasons. Hugs :heartlub

Dalis and Frumpje like this.
  7. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

Sending hugs and prayers your way. I know it is difficult when our children have to go through periods of change even when it is the right thing.

Frumpje likes this.
  8. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Hugs from this side too.
    It is never easy and then we second guess ourselves as well.
    Mama's know best - trust your gut!

Frumpje likes this.
  9. JillW

JillW I love lavend ... zzzzzz ...

Sending you lots of hugs and positive vibes!!!

We moved our son from a public school to a private one over spring break (back in 1998!) because he was getting bullied at school - and no one (including the principal) did anything about it! We had visited the private Catholic school months before and were planning on pulling him out at the end of the year, but changed plans since things were getting so out of hand. The Friday before spring break I asked him to pack up all of his personal belongings from his locker and not say anything to anyone about leaving the school. He never told a soul ... and he never went back.

I knew it was the right thing to do but I felt the same way you did ... sick with worry ... hating that he was going to have to 'start over' (he was in 7th grade) and make new friends. He really did not like it at first, but after giving it awhile and making a few friends, it got better. I could see the change in him almost immediately though - his self confidence start coming back and he was actually laughing and smiling again - so I knew we'd made a good choice. By time HS rolled around, he was super close to all of his classmates and made some life long friendships those years.

It might be bumpy for you all, but have faith - !! This might be the best move ever!! Keep us posted!

kimingvtx and Frumpje like this.
  10. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I agree with what's been said already. Hugs and any decision made from the heart is the right one.

11. Juliestcyr

Juliestcyr Grammar nerd and proud of it

@Frumpje , I am going through the EXACT same thing. A long, long story. When it comes down to it, despite feeling trepidatious, I know in my heart this is the right decision for my daughter.

Frumpje likes this.
  12. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Hugs! It's hard - on so many levels! Trust your decisions, and talk to your son. Keep us posted on how it turns out! (We previously moved to change school districts for educational needs and reasons, and it turned out to be the best decision for us!)

13. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

Exactly what Dalis said! Wish I had something wise to say though.

14. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

You go mamma! You know in your heart why you are doing it.
    And don't worry about the number of kids at each. There could be all sorts of reasons for that from teachers, principals, perceptions, or even just plain old status quo.

I hope it goes well for both of you on Monday!!

15. Frumpje

Thank you all for the kind words! It's so heartwarming to read them... I don't want to write anything on Facebook, because I don't need al the critic or people talking behind or backs (a whole lot of them are people we know from that school offcourse). We need all the support we can now to help us in this new chapter.
    Just got an e-mail from the new principal welcoming us to their school, telling that all the kids and the teacher really like my little boy, that I don't need to worry of all the classes he is going to miss because of testing in hospital... Oh, you cant belief how much I liked reading that! All sleepless nights came of my shoulders for a brief moment.

So sorry for all mom's here who are experiencing the same things here! I hope we all can give our childrens a better, safer, more fun school/life.

xxx

lizziej, kimingvtx and enjoyyourpix like this.
  16. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Big hugs to you. Parenting is so hard and we're always wondering if we are doing the right thing. Trust your gut and hang in there. It may be a little difficult at first, but it sounds like the new school is very warm and inviting. Kids tend to be much more resilient than we think sometimes and I'm sure he will adjust well. I changed schools several times before high school and it's a bit rough at first, but it will be ok, and if the new school is better able to meet his needs it will all be worth it :)

Frumpje likes this.
  17. wombat146

wombat146 Check out my kilt! And my turret!

It's a big decision to make but only YOU can decided what is best for YOUR child! Always trust your mother's instinct. Even though it will be hard to begin with I am sure that he will soon make new friends and the new school sounds very caring as well. Good luck to both of you and a big hug as well!! xoxox

Frumpje likes this.
  18. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Sending ((HUGS)).

We can only do what we think is best at the time. Follow your mama instinct! But you can also have a good cry, too. Any change, whether positive or negative, is stress . . . so having a cry will help you release that!

19. LynnG

LynnG Designer

Good luck, I really hope it works out. This stuff is HARD. (I have only recently stopped myself thinking 'what if we had tried that school' regarding my eldest and she is in her 20s) :faint2

20. Juliestcyr

Juliestcyr Grammar nerd and proud of it

@Frumpje, I have a question. How honest were you with the former principal?
    The situation for us is, that if I felt we had a really great school, we'd stay. But the principal kinda sucks and my kid is stuck in a very particular bad situation. (A bully who is also her cousin on her birth mom's side (I'm step mom, but they live with us full time, and only see mom a couple times a year). The bullying is impossibly cruel, and sadly, the Cousin-Bully's mom is just completely ineffective. No matter how much the teachers try to intervene, he is beyond caring about whatever consequences he has been given.)