Hybrid Artists Wanted! What are your top three hybrid projects?

Discussion in 'Hybrid Pad' started by ArmyGrl, Jun 25, 2022.

Select the top three hybrid projects you are interested in:

Poll closed Jul 3, 2022.
  1. Pocket Pages

25.0%
  2. Scrapbook Pages

25.0%
  3. Art Journal/Collage

68.8%
  4. Greet Cards/Holiday Cards

18.8%
  5. Travel Notebooks/Mini-books

87.5%
  6. Planners

25.0%
  7. Loaded Pockets

18.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

Perfect! :agree:agree Thank you for the feedback. I am a fussy cutter. One topic I'd love to discuss in the future is "cutting devices" of all sorts - from electronic ones like the circuit printers to fussy cut options. We'll be sure to develop theme and color challenges too!

2. ArmyGrl

Oooooo--yes, keep saying it out loud! Put those intentions out there to the universe. And I do hope you'll share this creative process with us - I'd love to see the photo frames from books!!!

3. MishSpar

MishSpar Well-Known Member

This is exciting! I would love to see prompts from the Polly's!
    I would also love to be involved in swaps also.

I like the challenge of turning digital products into physical pieces. Recently I turned a digital background paper into fabric, that was really fun.

ArmyGrl likes this.
  4. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

I am actually using acrylics right now. My husband bought me 24 colors plus metallics and he showed me how to water them down so that they act more like watercolor - yet they are more color fast, which is a pain in the keister right now because I'm learning and I want to change the edges of some of the paint - but as soon as it's dry - it's dry!! LOL

I did notice that. As far as I am along right now (which isn't far), I wind up gesso-ing TOO. much and just cover my paint instead of enhancing it.

Patience is a skill I don't know much about when I'm learning. My mom used to tell me that I was BRUTAL on myself as always expect me to know how to do something the first time I try. I am working on this...I took a page out of my journal to just play and I found myself finishing it and gluing it back into. my journal. (This was my Day 4 page). I coudln't NOT add to my journal, so I have to start looking at my journal as the place I "play" rather than the place I put my "finished" products!!

I don't have any inks or stencils right now. I spent quite a bit of money getting me set up with what I have, so those will have to wait a bit. I am seeing that they are used MUCH more than I thought they were as I'm watching more and more process videos.

I play and then I forget what I did!!!!

That's a great idea. I forgot about that. I didn't want to sign up until I had some mixed media tools, and now that I do, I can do that course.

Hope that helps a bit Susie, but if you have any other questions then ask away, always happy to help people out. :)

Attached Files:

wombat146 likes this.
  5. wombat146

wombat146 Check out my kilt! And my turret!

HAVE FUN!! :)

6. ArmyGrl

Michelle, do you have a picture? We'd love to see the fabric piece!!!! And learn about your process too! I adore mixed media art and textile arts!

7. MishSpar

MishSpar Well-Known Member

I made this gnome with it! I used sublimation, which is a heat transfer method where the images are “infused” into the material you are altering rather than adhered with a vinyl iron-on base. The background of the gallery image is the same one I used for the gnome. Color is off but that's my poor photography skills.

[​IMG]

I can make a separate post with my set up and how I learned about sublimation if anyone is interested!

To get set up for Sublimation it is an investment. Once you have all of the tools, you will have the ability to create complex, full color artwork that can be heat transferred to anything made from polyester or poly coated.

For this gnome, I transferred the digital background paper onto a white sweat shirt then just cut the pattern pieces out of it.

Imagine taking one of your favorite baby themed digital paper packs and creating some fabric with them, then making a little baby quilt with the fabric you created? You could even make little appliques with digital stickers or other elements, pocket cards, etc. Just transfer those onto fabric too and fussy cut! Then either hand sew the appliques on your quilt squares or even use something like Heat-n-bond to apply.

I’m thinking about creating big letters with digi paper and elements, and then transferring on to a porch sign board! I will probably stain or paint the board and then apply a few layers of modpodge. Supposedly, a sublimation transfer will go on top of modpodge. I’ll let you know how that turns out!

Karen, ArmyGrl and tanteva like this.
  8. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

@MishSpar - I am part of a Crafty online community and we have a project coming up that require printable fabric. I think we are making a pillow but I am excited to try something like this!

9. ArmyGrl

Yes!!! Please share when you can:yesss

10. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

What?!?!? Lost?!?!? Like the movers lost your boxes, or they got damaged? Either way that is just awful. I would be sick about it too! That's a lot of money! I'm so sorry that happened to you!

11. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

That is so cool! I probably shouldn't have read this because now I am intrigued! I love the adorable little gnome you made!

12. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Well, with my limited supplies, ie, Mod Podge, scissors, glue and my Traveler's Journal, I created this page for a new Journal Insert.

[​IMG]

MishSpar, ArmyGrl and Pachimac like this.
  13. ArmyGrl

It is fabulous @Cherylndesigns I love your use of bright colors! And it goes to show - use what you have on hand!

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  14. ArmyGrl

A big “THANK YOU” to those who participated in the hybrid poll. Traveler’s Notebooks and Mini-Books were the #1 picked items to explore. Yay! I was already in the process of making a paper-bag junk journal of sorts. Now, I back-track and provide more information into how this paper-bag journal came to be. In addition, using envelopes, I will provide an alternative project you may create. Along the way, we’ll discuss tools and materials used. We’ll exchange information that can help all of us be better crafters…or at least get started :giggle.

If you have ever made a book or journal from scratch, you are very welcome to share your creation once the Hybrid Happenings thread is launched! There are many ways to create a book or journal and I look forward to the exchange of ideas and to learn about new tools or techniques from you.

In the beginning stages of a creative journey, I encourage you to think about:
    1. Intentions—what do you intend to create and why?
    2. Materials and design—what size, how many pages, design style?
    3. Color palette and digital scrapbooking supplies to use.

Please keep in mind that having too much to choose from can hinder the creative process. Its like having too many programs running on your computer at the same time – the computer runs extra slow! Our brains are like that too. Selecting your materials and colors ahead of time, and even pre-printing your digital papers and elements, can help you create through intuition and from the heart. Pull out what you are going to use - and put away all those extra supplies - out of sight, out of mind!

So, gather up your intentions...will you make a Traveler's Notebook, a mini-book that can hold your ephemera bits, or a mini-junk journal? And think about the supplies you'll need along the way. Remember to look around your house - turn that trash into treasure!

Look for the paper bag journal how-to-guide in the coming days! I am super excited and hope your join me on this creative journey!

tanteva likes this.
  15. Cherylndesigns

I decided to just go for it while I'm replenishing my stash - I'm making a list on Amazon of what all I don't have anymore. I realized that I lost all of my watercolors, too. :(

16. Cherylndesigns

Thank you ALL for the inspiration and the push for me to work on some of my projects. Don't judge me LOL - I KNOW you won't. Remember our yearly Document Your December? I did this for the last 3 years and I just got incentivized - thanks to all of you - to get mine printed and I've got them in one of my Traveler's Notebooks inserts. I guess it's Christmas In July.

This is a work in progress, but here's the front page and a side view. I do the DYD in 4x6 format, get them printed at Walgreen's, them put them in my TN insert. That's leaves me a place to journal about each page at the botton. Our December was so beautiful last year, that I recorded the temperature on each daily. I'll be sharing some of my individual pages as I go along. I covered the whole insert with patterned paper before I started.

front-of-TN-Document-your-Deceember-2021.jpg

side-view-of-2021-Document-Your-December.jpg

Pachimac likes this.
  17. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

I wanna see!!!!!

18. Cherylndesigns

I'm going to try to photograph the pages - I hope to work on that today. I think it I use some big bulldog clips, I can hold it open well enough to photograph the pages. :)

19. ArmyGrl

Just a little hint....make sure you keep your eyes open for TLP's Christmas in July!!!! :stash

20. Cherylndesigns

I've been wondering about that, thanks for the "hint". Got to get ready! :byay