How would you fix this photo?

Discussion in 'Photography Pad' started by bestcee, Feb 15, 2018.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

How would you fix this photo? I have PSE14, PSCC and Lightroom available. Fix.jpg
    Here's the weird part - It's a digital photo - and I have no idea how in the world that line color split thing happened! It reminds me of the film cameras when the film didn't move forward right.

jesskab likes this.
  2. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

not that I am a photo expert at all but I'd maybe crop the two sections so they are separate layers and maybe play with levels or something to get them to match up a bit better but as I said I'm not a photo expert

bestcee likes this.
  3. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

hmmm I think I would section out the bottom with the polygon lasso where the color is lighter.. then add a filter overlay of warm so that the bottom matches the top. once both sections are the same then adjust with lighting etc.

That is so odd that this happened Courtney. I am going to grab the photo and try to fix... this intrigues me :)

jesskab, AJK, bestcee and 1 other person like this.
  4. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

@bestcee HERE is a link to something that may help as I think you need to somehow work with two copied images and masking.Top image ( top layer ) to be made brightened so the top half looks like the bottom half of original image on bottom layer, which is the clearer section. This will make the bottom half of this top layer to be possibly very bright so add a mask to that top image and play with a soft brush to erase and show the bottom half of the lower layer.
    Hope this makes sense and helps. But the tutorial I have shared may be of some help also.

5. Chippi

Chippi Those chicken nuggets are just waiting to attack

Courtney, I have one too!! But I know exactly how mine happened, well, I am fairly sure. The same instant that I took my photo with my phone, Mum took one with her camera and the flash! So I have managed to capture the split second shot where here flash was bouncing around. Well that's what I think anyway. It seems the only likely possibility.

I will have a go at fixing mine sometime, and keep an eye on this thread. I was really bummed out that this one didn't work. It was one of the better facial expressions when she figured out this was a trick present, lol.

IMG_20171231_075815.jpg

LynnG, bestcee and Angela Toucan like this.
  6. cfile

@bestcee here is my take on it.. I used lots of curves and photo filters and then I used the clone tool... I can send you the psd too if you want to play more with my starting point... I think it looks good enough for scrapping. Hope you like my take on the photo adjustment.
    Fix copy.jpg

Courtney: here is the drop box link for the psd file https://www.dropbox.com/s/6dx6oes5ok4gfhy/Fix copy.psd?dl=0

LynnG, jesskab, Mylinn and 3 others like this.
  7. cfile

Chippi.. try yours with a gradient, black to transparency on yours,.. yours is an exposure issue I think.

Chippi likes this.
  8. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

@bestcee - it is possibly the flash thing like Chippi mentioned but my 'perfectly fine when viewed on the LCD on back of camera' jpegs do this sometimes on transfer as well, it's some kind of glitch and when i've noticed it and i will transfer the specific jpeg again (from camera to HD) and it will be fine (just watch the rename process) - if you have it on your card still, you might not need to 'fix' it (although i like the gradient idea and christa's fix, you might be able to avoid it altogether (And if this is from a dslr & you shoot in RAW, the chance that the original RAW is fine is even more likely - i usually have the same photo in both types on my cards for this reason ;) )

9. cfile

IMG_20171231_075815 copy.jpg

You would still have to play with it to clone out the line and mess with the rug, but this was done using masks and adjusting brightness, exposure and gamma.
    here is the drop box link to get you started :)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/laszkexcp4mufuu/IMG_20171231_075815 copy.psd?dl=0

Also with scrapping, you can always crop or even place an element at the rug transition issue so it it isn't noticeable to everyone else :)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    Chippi likes this.
  10. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

That is so weird that you both have a photo with that straight line of different exposures! I've never seen that before!

bestcee and cfile like this.
  11. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I haven't had this exact glitch, but other weird things have happened with my digital images, and what I did was re-import my photos from the camera memory card. Fortunately, that worked in my few cases.

I'm impressed with Christa's edit and the other ideas for fixing it! I am kind of lazy about editing so probably wouldn't bother trying to fix something like this. Glad you can!

bestcee, Rikki and cfile like this.
  12. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

I've never seen this but I love @cfile 's fixes. I never throw a photo away because there is so much you can do if you play with them.

cfile likes this.
  13. cfile

Thank you Sandy!

14. cfile

sometimes I lso go the easy route if I can not fix it right, I go black and white with it :)

15. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I'm lazy so I would have turned it b&w.

@cfile - awesome fix! you're the best
    @michelepixels - good idea to import it again.

LynnG and cfile like this.
  16. cfile

Thanks Kayla!

keepscrappin likes this.
  17. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

@cfile Christa, great job on the fixing!
    @michelepixels I'm with you. The utmost I'd do is convert it to b/w and consider it perfect.

cfile likes this.
  18. cfile

Thanks Rikki.. I actually like playing with photoshop and fixing photos.

19. bestcee

That is very possibly how it happened! I hadn't thought of that.

And it kinda makes us sound like ninjas! Capturing photos at the speed of light (flash)!

cfile and Chippi like this.
  20. bestcee

I noticed it when I transferred, and retransferred the photos. Went back and looked at the photo on the screen, and it was captured that way! I hung onto it, because I love it - it's from 2013.

Yep! I was annoyed trying to fix it in black and white too. Because it's not a great photo quality, and the color difference was still there!
    Thanks for your help and suggestions! I'm going to play with it too using your tricks!

Yeah, it still looked funny in black and white. Because the bottom is so dark, and the top so light. I didn't play a ton with masking on it, but that might have helped the over/under exposed look in black and white.

bellbird and cfile like this.