How will it end?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by SharLamb, Mar 29, 2020.

1. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

I keep wondering if some morning we will wake up to the news it is safe to socialize again. Remember the photo of the serviceman (sailor?) kissing the girl in the street when WW2 ended? Will it be like that? Will there be a sweeping cheer across America and other countries? Any ideas on how IT will end?

2. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

Such an iconic photo! But I don't think it will be like that, unfortunately.

I'm guessing another 6 weeks or so of lockdown; and then a gradual lifting of the bans and restrictions; and then maybe a return to normal (or to the 'new normal') by next winter.

3. pagefrocks

pagefrocks ♥•:*¨¨*:•♥•:*¨¨*:•.♥

Oh my . . . I had not even thought of that yet! I don't believe it will be a dramatic "life is normal again" green light. Instead, I think we will slowly, cautiously begin to lift some regulations. I think we'll all be "distance shy" for some time though.

I was watching a movie today and caught myself thinking "oh, too close!" during one of the scenes. That quickly, it's already becoming ingrained behavior.

It's all so sad.

SeattleSheri likes this.
  4. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I can't even begin to imagine how this will end. Right now, it doesn't feel like there will be a definitive end, especially knowing how far out we are from a vaccine. I would love for there to be an iconic photo for the ending of this pandemic. Unfortunately, we are in this for the long haul so I don't know when we will take that photo and/or recognize it as being the end, you know?

SeattleSheri and SharLamb like this.
  5. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I love the idea that the end is that clear.
    I think it will be an area by area return. Rural areas first, then suburbs and big cities last.
    But
    I also have been blown away by the leaps and bounds of science over the past few weeks. So am hoping for more recovery numbers.

cfile, SharLamb and AJK like this.
  6. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

I concur.

7. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

It depends. I've been reading a lot about people's theories, and a lot will depend on the people involved.

But now that I know how many people are gross (I don't know if you've seen the woman pumping gas with her hand in her pants?) I think I'm becoming a Vulcan. No handshakes for me. Ever.

SeattleSheri, cfile and SharLamb like this.
  8. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

@bestcee Courtney, I have always said that.. my Dad taught me that.. he would have a list at his desk at work and would see who did not wash after leaving the mens room and when thy would have a pot luck at work, he would never eat their food. He also taught me to use a paper towel on door knobs so I have been doing that for years and always wipe down menus, tables, and salt/pepper shakers at restaurants with the sanitzer wipes i always carry in my purse WAY BEFORE the outbreak. We are retired now and not around a lot of people so I am always careful as our immune system is not as up there as everyone elses.. stay safe and I thank your husband for his service to helping, taking care of and curing those that are ill and in need.

SeattleSheri, bestcee and SharLamb like this.
  9. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

IMO, we will never go back to the normal we knew before. There will be a new "normal" for the world.

As for when it ends, I agree with others here that say it will be a gradual return. Until there is a vaccine I can see places like NYC having a hard time with tourism not coming back to the levels it was before.

The sanitizer wipe and hand sanitizer industries will be booming in the years to come since people will have changed their habits. As for me, I'm gonna start carrying some of the vinyl gloves I use when dusting the house in my purse. Heck, I may even buy a box to leave in the car.

SeattleSheri, mary kate and cfile like this.
  10. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

I agree. NYC; Florida; the cruise ship industry; the commercial airlines; any place (whether in North America or elsewhere) that depends upon tourism to fuel its local economy ... the tourism sector will be (already has been) hit hard; and will probably not begin to recover until there is a vaccine.

Scientists will develop a vaccine, but it will probably take about 12-18 months from now to have that vaccine, having been safely tested, available to the public.

In the meanwhile, I have re-discovered the virtues of just plain old-fashioned bar soap. I love fancy, scented, liquid soaps in cute containers; but out of fear of supply chain issues down the line, I have switched to plain bar soap. It lasts a lot longer, and gives you more bang (more hand washes) for your buck.

SeattleSheri likes this.
  11. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I definitely think it will be a slow return to normal. There have been some promising developments as far as meds for this sickness and so I'm hoping that leads to a sooner rather than later return to normal. I do think we'll see some changes to our normals.

SeattleSheri likes this.
  12. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

I would absolutely love nothing more for this to magically disappear, but in reality, I know it will only get better once we hit the top of the curve. Science says that's when the majority of the population gain immunity either through infection or a vaccine ... but it's still so unclear when that will happen. It's so hard to understand how many people are infected because so many people are asymptomatic or don't qualify for testing so we don't really know where we are at on the curve ... and unfortunately, we are dealing with something that is extremely communicable. I just hope and pray we can keep our healthcare workers safe to treat those who are infected in the meantime :heartlub

Stay safe and healthy!

13. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

I have to agree with Liz @Scrapping with Liz . After 911 in USA, things changed. Attitudes changed, though not all for the better. After Desert Storm the same. We all experienced watching that war in a unique way like we are CV. And I think this pandemic will be like that- a change of mindset. But I hope it isn't one of suspicion or fear like 911. We can be wise and kind at the same time!