How to fix slow downloads?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by QuiltyMom, May 6, 2021.

1. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

A few days ago my computer started acting strangely - it's taking forever for pages and downloads to happen. Right now it's taken over 15 minutes to download an element pack from the store when typically it takes seconds.

I've cleared my cache, have very few windows open, deleted any unnecessary add-ons or plug-ins, ran virus check, etc., etc., and it continues to get worse. Every other device in the house runs at normal speed, and we're on an ethernet system. Even my computer-geek husband can't figure it out, and google searches don't offer any valid advice.

It's happened before and I can't remember what I did to fix it. Does anyone have suggestions on how to fix this? I'd really appreciate it!!

2. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

Sorry, no clue ... hope someone can help you, or you can remember your former fix. You have tried shutting it down, and unplugging it? For some reason the unplugging from the outlet does the trick for me when shutting down alone doesn't.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  3. QuiltyMom

Yeah, and didn’t work. Bummer, huh? I like easy fixes! Right now I’m downloading Malwarebytes to check for any hidden malware. I have a good anti virus program, but things can even sneak through those. We’ll see.

bestcee likes this.
  4. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

So frustrating ... good luck.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  5. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Your hubby has probably thought of this, but is windows up to date? I notice things start slowing down significantly when there’s a windows update that needs done. Sometimes you have to manually push it through.

I’ve also had to update the firmware on our Internet router to increase speeds, but that may not be the problem since your other devices seem to be OK. Have you tried downloading files on a different computer to see if it’s just your computer or something with the internet? Do you have a data cap on your Internet, that may be throttling you? Or a backup running that’s hogging too many resources?

Oh another thing I just thought of is how much free space do you have on your hard drive? If you’re running out of space that can really slow you down too.

Hope you get it fixed soon. Nothing worse than slow computers and internet.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  6. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I sometimes have this issue but it is usually when it is what I consider "peak time" for others to be on the internet. I am at the "end of the line" so to speak with my connection and when schools were online a year ago, my speeds during the day were so dang slow. Dinner time was very quick and late night was the fastest.

Hope you get your issue figured out!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  7. QuiltyMom

I haven’t thought about the windows update. I’ll check on it - were still on windows 10. We both did speed tests on our devices, mine was incredibly slow in pings and downloads and his was as fast as normal. I don’t have any auxiliary backups going on, either. I ran the free Malwarebytes program and it quarantined 15 Unnecessary programs, and that sped up the pings, but now the downloads. We have unlimited internet so no caps, and I have 2/3rds of free space available on the two installed drives. This is why he’s baffled! But I will check on that windows update after lunch. Thanks!

keepscrappin likes this.
  8. QuiltyMom

Thanks. I thought of that, but until two days ago it hadn’t been an issue before now. Maybe I’ll have my son look into it, too. He may think of something different, or maybe one of his computer friends may have an idea..

9. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

It doesn't happen constantly for me just off and on. A couple weeks ago downloads were taking forever to download. A couple hours later they were fine and I had done nothing to fix it. Come to think of it, the downloads were from 2 different websites. Wonder if there was a problem in the internet stream on that end and not mine? Maybe the routing to get from that website to mine had a hiccup... who knows.

BevG and QuiltyMom like this.
  10. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

@QuiltyMom

Try unplugging your modem/router while at the same time shutting down your computer. Sometimes I just pull the power cord but other times I pull out the ethernet. Wait at least 30 seconds and then plug them back in and restart your computer. It doesn't always help, but when I call our internet service, those are the first steps they recommend.

I've been having issues with extended PING times. Websites, especially Facebook and YouTube would never load or only partially load. We had a service tech come out today and they replaced some hardware and such and that seems to have fixed our PING issue.

bestcee, Memaw2Wm and QuiltyMom like this.
  11. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Yes, this is 99% of my issue on top of crummy internet speeds to start with. I’m often downloading stuff at like 10pm just to only have to do one lot of downloading. When I’m studying though I try and stick to being done by 3pm otherwise it’s a nightmare though when everyone is home schooling during COVID that goes out the window.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  12. QuiltyMom

I'll try this. Thanks!!!

gonewiththewind likes this.
  13. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

My windows 10 will update in the background. I won't realize it's doing it, and it totally slows down my internet when it's happening. The other thing that slows my downloads is if my backup is running. In theory, it shouldn't, but if I'm uploading a bunch, it will hurt my downloads.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  14. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

This was my life for the last 5 years. Haha. Just because our internet has always been slow. We were able to get cable (thanks to my hubbies persistence) & now I'm feeling spoiled and like I'm not living in the dark ages anymore.

I'm no help. Not tech savvy at all. I hope you get it figured out.

QuiltyMom likes this.