How to convert a psd file to png layers when you do NOT have Photoshop

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by lou, Nov 13, 2018.

1. lou

lou Well-Known Member

How to convert a psd file to png layers when you do NOT have Photoshop and your digital scrapbooking software does not open psd/tiff files:

1) Download and install paint.net here:
    https://www.getpaint.net/download.html (there is a paid version in the windows store, but the version on the first line is free)
    Locate your Paint.net folder (mine is at C:\Program Files\paint.net)

2) Download the plugin to open psd files here https://www.psdplugin.com/ (linked from the official page: https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/18128-photoshop-psd-file-plugin-newest-version-250/)
    Unzip and copy the dll extension file to your "Paint.NET\FileTypes\" folder on your C drive.
    You might need to click continue to provide admin permission to write to the folder.

3) Download the plugin to export to png layers here https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/31996-zip-archive-filetype-plugin-zip/
    Unzip and copy the dll and dlc extension files to your "Paint.NET\FileTypes\" folder on your C drive.

4) Restart Paint.net
    In the file/save as menu, you should now have the zip and psd lines (as per my screenshot - I may have more options than you in that menu because of other plugins, but you don't need those for what we're doing here).

screenshot.jpg

You should now be able to open any psd files (just double-click on the file or do file/open in Paint.net), and then save them as a zip of individual png layers using "File/Save as.../ZIP" (leave default settings as is).
    (I wrote "should" because the ability to open psd files with a large amount of layers depends on your computer. My old computer would get stuck if the psd file had too many layers (30 or more If I recall correctly), my new machine has never had any problems opening psd files with a huge amount of layers.)

Note: it's completely free.
    I actually use this software for all my digital scrapbooking with many more plugins and filters (also all free), but to convert to png the above is all you should need.
    The links I put up above are the official links (if you google "download paint.net" you may come up with different download links, but they are not from the official page and may or may not contain viruses, but I've never had any problems with the official Paint.net and Paint.net forum sites)

jenn mccabe, Lisa B and bestcee like this.
  2. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

jenn mccabe, lou and QuiltyMom like this.
  3. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

@lou @BevG What wonderful tips these are! I remember the frustration of trying to find ways to convert files.

lou likes this.
  4. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

Thankyou @lou and @BevG for sharing all this with those who need it.
    I have a script on my Photoshop CS6 for exporting the PNG files from a PSD as I use it every month when I am creating templates for the blog train I am involved with.

lou and BevG like this.
  5. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

This is very helpful @lou :) Thank you so much for sharing!

6. Lisa B

Lisa B What am I supposed to do with all this chalk?

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I knew there was a way, and I didn't have the time to figure it out. This was so helpful.

Karen likes this.
  7. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

You girls are awesome!