How to catch up?

Discussion in 'Project Life/365/52' started by Rovanice, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Rovanice

Rovanice Active Member

Hi all!

Last year I could keep track of my pages very well, sometimes I got behind but I always made sure to finish current page first and than work my way back through my pages to catch up.

This worked really well last year, but this year I had so many happenings in my life (my dad past away a few months ago) and since then I'm running behind so far that I don't know how to catch up all these weeks.

How do you do that? Anyone has the golden tip?

2. Mrivas

Mrivas I know how to spit like a man

I'm so sorry for your loss!
    When I am behind I find that if I work in steps I can catch up quickly.
    -I start with selecting the photos for the weeks, editing them and putting them in folders. I have photos from different sources so it's important to make sure I have them all in one spot or I will forget them.
    -Then I will place the photos in the pocket templates and add journaling.
    -Later, when I feel inspired with a kit I will add papers, elements & journal cards to finish my pages.
    I used to work on my pages a little bit every day when my computer was in the living room but now it's in my daughter's room and I can't always be up there.

3. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I'm sorry for your loss!
    I'm behind right now. Whenever I'm behind, my plan is always the same.
    1. Do the current week. This keeps me from falling further behind. Plus, it's still really fresh in my mind.
    2. Do the oldest week that I can. Sometimes, like Maribel, I'll batch two or three older weeks together. And sometimes the oldest week is the one I'm struggling to do because of emotions, or other happenings. In that case, I might skip it, and work on the next oldest week.
    Just keep moving is my goal when I'm behind.

Good luck!

Angela Toucan likes this.
  4. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

So sorry for your loss!
    I can totally relate to being behind. I think I'm about 2 months behind now *sigh* I'm not sure what happened with me. I've never been this far behind before. I wish I had a great advice for you, but I'm going to keep watching this thread as well and hopefully I'll get motivated to get caught up!!!

5. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Many years ago I read a book, The Big Picture by Stacy Julian, about scrapbooking. She said she is never behind because she doesn't scrap chronologically. Instead she scraps by themes. She has a vacation album, a birthday album, and so on. She was also a paper scrapper using albums she could continually add to, so this doesn't work perfectly for those of us who print photobooks but I have adopted the spirit of the idea.

I'm not sure if I got it from her, from someone else, or just realized it on my own, but I figure every single page I make is one more than existed prior and any amount of scrapping is better than none. And it would be impossible to scrap Everything. So I just keep on scrapping as much as I can and I have never worried about being behind.

I do kind of scrap chronologically because about 75% of the time I scrap photos from the previous few weeks. But I have yet to scrap about my daughter's birthday in May and much of the years around 2013 and 2014, when I was immersed in photography, have only about 10 scrapbook pages each. I just go ahead and scrap old stuff when I'm inspired or in the mood, and at the end of each year I print everything -- this year's stuff as well as any pages I made about years past -- all in one big album.

The most important thing is to just get at least a little bit printed and written about. Don't worry about making it perfectly complete; that's impossible. I think about my own childhood albums. Three of those sticky page albums. My mom was actually a bit of a shutterbug; that's a lot for the 70's and 80's. I don't begrudge her for not being complete and documenting everything. I don't think documenting life should be a chore. It should be fun.

6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I'm so sorry for your loss. {hugs} As for how to not be behind, I am definitely not the person to ask on that. I just keep plugging away when I have time. The biggest way for me to catch up a bunch is when I take a weekend away from home with my friend and we scrap all weekend long. That helps for sure!

7. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

So sorry for your loss, scrapping takes a back seat when life hits you hard.
    I still think even if you don't finish the undone layouts think of all the pages you do have and would have if you just started with now and moved on. Be as kind to yourself as you would a friend who was going through a tough time.
    I tend to start current and then work backwards, but I am also ok with a hole in the album rather than not carrying on or and stopping completely because it isn't perfect.

8. meggersjm

meggersjm bunny ears, bunny ears, playing by a tree

so sorry for your loss. life gets in the way sometimes!

Being organized is key, and I'm still not up to par!

I have recently used the PL app on my phone. Sometimes I just left the "flat" pages, sometimes I drug into ps and embellished them.

Good luck!

bestcee likes this.
  9. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

This is sort of what I do. I work in "batches". I'll organize my photos in one sitting, place them in templates in another sitting, then add journaling and extras.

Mrivas likes this.
  10. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

What everyone's said...when life events happen, things have to come to a stop to handle them. I know you'll still miss your Dad but I do think getting this week or last week's done first does help because as they say, it's the one you know. If you are a full month behind, just do it as a month and move on.

After the week I just did, week 28 in week 31!, I am probably doing one pagers for the next two weeks. I was working on a travel album and not much else really did happen. If it had really been bad/lacking etc I might just have left it out and noted that in the week I finally started.

There's also nothing wrong with making a page or two about your Dad's death and let that be what your life has been physically/mentally/emotionally recently until you're ready to go on. You can't fail PL. You do what you can when you can and love yourself for it. Hugs :heartlub

11. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I'm so sorry for you loss.

I'm extremely behind at the moment due to computer issues this year.

Here's what works for me...

1. I have a planner/diary that I try to keep notes in even if I'm not working on PL at the moment. The notes are about what we did that day and where I have photos to go with that day, so I know where to find them when I start working (my kids text me photos, I find them on their schools' Facebook pages, etc.... photos are everywhere!).

2. Then I work in stages similar to @Mrivas. I'll just sit down and add photos to templates... it goes really quickly if that's all you're worried about. Then I go back and add the cards/elements as it strikes me. Sometimes a new kit comes out that's perfect for a particular spread, or I just get inspired to work on a random week. Having photos already on templates allows me to jump around.

Probably the biggest thing for me is my planner/diary. I have this peace of mind that no matter how behind I am with making the actual pages, I have all of the info to make the pages when I'm ready... even if it's next year.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    Mrivas likes this.
  12. Rovanice

Rovanice Active Member

Hi All! Thanks for the tips and tricks I think I can work with that. I thought I'm running so far behind it is probably better to catch up first and then work in the weeks I'm in right now but that doesn't work and also I noticed I'm running even further behind.

I just worked on week 31 and noticed this is going faster because this week is fresh in my mind. So I will work my way back now. Still a looooot of work to do but I think I will manage. In the winter I always work more on my photoalbums so plenty of time to work my way trough all the missing weeks. (I hope :))

Karen likes this.
  13. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I'm so sorry for your loss. I agree with all of the above. Somebody said to me (way back when) - "start with where you are right now". Then you can work backward or forward.

I jump around all over the place. Doing Project 52, 12, whatever you want to call it, is a good starting point. I make sure I do at least one page a month. I do my own version of Project 12 - I don't even try to do the weekly pages. Most of my pages are of our everyday.

Good luck. I don't think any of us are truly "caught up", I know I'm not. Since I started digi scrapping in earnest, I'm going back and scrapping really old pictures that never got scrapped.

14. lovemuffin

lovemuffin Active Member

I'm so sorry for your loss.
    I remember when I lost my father in 2013, it was hard to catch up with my scrapping and project life so I just jot down all the journaling I wanted to include on my PL when I become ready. The photos are saved and the notes are ready too but it took me time to scrap it.

15. Rovanice

Rovanice Active Member

Thanks for your tips! I have done the same now, I only did the base from all the missing pages, so adding pictures and journaling and now I'm ready to start set all pages up. The only pages were the pictures are still missing is a weekend in March when we all went away for a weekend, including my dad. We went to the "efteling" that's a theme park like Disney land but in the Netherlands, for 4 days and we saw him 24/7 which was really hard because we saw how ill he was. I didn't know how to look trough these pictures so my husband yesterday proposed to choose the pictures so I don't have to look trough all of them so I think I will manage to make these pictures by time.

bestcee likes this.
  16. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

That's so sweet of him! What a great solution too. I'm glad you have found a way to keep going :heartlub

RebeccaH likes this.