How much should you charge for a photo....

Discussion in 'Photography Pad' started by Dalis, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

...that you know will be used for a flyer to for a small hockey camp?

Hubby took the picture, altered it, put a lot of hours of work into this picture. How much should he charge if someone wants to use it as an ad flyer for a camp? This would be a "smaller" camp, but mind you our kid is doing the camp and we have to pay full price for the camp. ;)

2. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

$100? Assuming he spent 5 hours or less on it. If the camp should want exclusive access to it, then I would charge more. Because if it is a really cool picture he might want to enter it into a photography contest.

3. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

(if it were me and an expensive camp, i'd barter/trade the use of the photo for my kid going free of charge or charge at least half the cost of Bianca going given the amount of hours you mentioned)

4. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I would try to see if you could get either a week free of camp, or maybe even 20% off the weekly cost of camp. My kids go to camp, and we get 10% off for siblings. Then they wanted us to pay 2 fees for transportation. I negotiated to one, since it was the same location.

Negotiate higher than you want so you will be happy to compromise to YOUR acceptable amount.

5. Dalis

I think that is what upset me the most that he asked to use the picture for free and he knows that we sign up B for camp. He didn't even offer a discount. It's like what he is doing is "work" but what hubby does is "for fun", kind of deal. People are so disrespectful to photographers.

6. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I totally agree... choosy beggars! :) So, let him know that he could use the photo only if there is compensation for your hubby since this is his job. Bartering or money. If he is thinking it would be free, then he should be out of luck. That's my opinion though. I think people don't give themselves enough credit and it irks me.

7. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

If the camp is using it to promote their camp, then that is commercial use. Companies are expected to pay for things. Even in scrapbooking, you might pay more for a commercial use product than for the personal use version. Photographers have to eat too.

8. Dalis

Hubby got $100 for NON-exclusive ONE-TIME use. Coach offered to have B take the camp free of charge when hubby told him $300 for NON-exclusive multi-use of the picture. Hubby told him, we weren't signing B up this year. LOL!!!! I like seeing hubby not putting up with this crap anymore. Yay!

yellowpeep, bellbird, cfile and 4 others like this.
  9. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

Good for him!!

Dalis likes this.
  10. Dalis

I am working on him, for fall to tell people he will be charging this year. IN ADVANCE!

11. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

12. slfam

slfam Chocolate or vanilla? I can't decide!

Kissed the frog!

13. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

@Dalis I just cheered your hubby, fist pump and all! woot!

14. yellowpeep

yellowpeep Spaaaarrrrrkkkleeeee

Wow, that is wonderful!! I am always being asked to use my photography in cheap ways. Feels frustrating and demeaning. Glad he stood up for himself!
    [​IMG]

15. jagruti patel

jagruti patel Me love cookies! Yum! Yum!