How much {over} would you pay?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Keela, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Keela

Keela I have puppy fever!!

For something your kid(s) really want for Christmas? This is a spinoff of the My Little Pony thread.

The reason I ask is because I just had this convo with my husband a week ago. My son, Anakin, wants a Bakugan Dice Thrower like nothing else. No one around here has them and I haven't been able to find them...until I saw one on ebay. $60 for a $7 toy. I passed. Then, Friday night I decided to look on ebay again and there was on for $30. I went for it. I just really wanted him to have it for Christmas.

Okay, tell me I'm nuts! ;) Let's hear it! BTW, I've never done THIS before! LOL!

2. I think it would depend on how much the toy was to begin with, how much over and how much I think my kid would actually play with said toy.

3. cherryberry

cherryberry Hottie Patottie!

you're not nuts - it's hard to say "no" at Christmas time because a lot of times it's from Santa right? My kids don't want anything. That makes it easy. ;)

4. Paula

Paula Kicks Challenge Butt!

If it is something they really want, I've been known to go $20-30 over.

5. Sara

Sara Riding in the Neil mobile

I could see myself doing that if it's like THE thing my sweetpea was really looking forward to.

6. crystalbella77

crystalbella77 Capture life and embrace it

I would totally buy that for 30 dollars. I wouldn't have for 70...but I did spend nearly 60 for a dolla for my toddler...eek! lol It's hard at christmas. I would give them the world if I coudl! lol!

7. karen perry

karen perry LOCK THE DOOR!

id of probably caved in to,and i would of on the pony as well knowing that they probably wouldnt play with it,OOps i think i spoil mine to much

8. dst212 (Daniela)

dst212 (Daniela) New Member

Honestly I wouldn't go over my budget, especially because I know the toy will not mean the same to Lucas after a few weeks. Usually he asks for a few things, we see what fits the budget and if something doesn't, we buy something else similar. It still works!

9. renee82

renee82 renee82

I probably would have done the same.... then again I *almost* bought that darned train set for almost $200 and it's worth $60.... I have my head a shake and decided it was REALLY NOT WORTH IT.... he'll have tonnes of other toys... but thirty dollars more... yeah, I would! ;)

10. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

For $30, I would. I don't think its so much the increase in the price, but what the final price is, KWIM? $30 isn't that much in the grand scheme.

11. 1girl1boy

1girl1boy Miss Glee!

hmmmm....this is tough. we've been really lucky and not faced this just yet, but I have to say that I would heavily consider it and DH would probably fork over the money in a heartbeat. He's a big sucker at Christmas.

12. Peppermint

Peppermint One Little Bird

I can't really bring myself to do it, but Nicholas is at an age where he can see the logic in waiting until after Christmas for something, KWIM? If he really desperately wanted something and it was on backorder, or it was sold out in stores, I could easily buy him a GC for the amount of money and tell him as soon as it's in stores ... we're going to buy it.

I get annoyed when I see people at stores quite obviously buying a bunch of must-have items "in bulk" because they're a hot item. If those people would just stop trying to make a buck, then these poor kids could get what they wanted for Xmas! It's adult greed that stands in the way of these little kids getting what they want for Xmas, and I refuse to support that with my money.

13. talivstouwe

talivstouwe Am I really that rotten? I can't remember. I'm s

I probably wouldn't, but, I know my kids well enough to know that there isn't any one toy, at this point in their lives, that are that important to them. Plus, Ella's birthday is in a month, so I would keep looking and find it for closer to the price at that point.

14. carolee

carolee Humming along in the Neil mobile

Usually I don't buy stuff on ebay/Amazon from resellers because of what Peppermint said. But if it were something my kid had his heart set on for Christmas and it would save me the hassle of hunting it down all around town then I think it's worth a bit of extra money.

15. estir_bune

estir_bune Guest

$30.... that is easier to swallow than $70 for sure!

16. crazygirl

crazygirl Opening a post office

a few years ago
    i paid $80 on ebay for a V-Smile for my then 4 year old.
    we couldn't find one anywhere in town.
    and i got desperate.
    lol
    funny how he hardly played with it.
    i sold it this summer..
    and made most my money back.
    thank goodness!
    ROFL