How long do you wait?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Tree City, May 20, 2019.

1. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I'm not a patient person. If I'm going out to dinner with the kids, then I'm even less patient lol cuz they (and DH) get hangry. So tonight when we went out to dinner, we left after sitting, drink-less and order-less, because no one came to even say Hello, let alone take a drink/food order.

Long story short: if you are seated but not greeted/offered drinks, do you wait (perhaps asking a passing server if they know where your server is) or do you leave? If you leave, how long do you wait before walking out?

LoveItScrapIt and cfile like this.
  2. Tree City

I give it 5 minutes to be greeted by the server--even just a quick "Hi, I'll be right over!" tossed our way as they walk by is all I need. It wasn't busy tonight and a few servers passed our table, so I don't know if the hostess just didn't tell anyone we were in their section or if our server just forgot about us? Or, worse, she/he ignored us??? We were at a fave of the kids so I was afraid they'd revolt but they followed us out without issue. (I waited a little longer than usual because we'd promised the kids we'd go out tonight so I didn't want them to think we were reneging.) I know I could have flagged down someone and asked where our server was, but I believe that if they can't/won't/don't realize we're there, then how good is the food going to be--will it be lukewarm cuz it sat forever before our server picked it up? When will they even take our order? The few times I have waited (cuz I'm with friends or otherwise can't just decide "let's go"), the service was bad and the food wasn't good.

3. AJK

AJK But I don’t want to go among mad people!

Can't stand it when that happens. We went out to celebrate our daughter's visit. Chose an Asian restaurant in N.Charlotte. Waited 10+minutes for water. Another 10 for drink order. 30 minutes total for the meal, and they forgot the soup. When it was brought, the p iping hot soup was spilt on my legs. Glad I was wearing jeans!! I was so mad, not because of an accident but because of the lack of appology from the server. Meal stunk , service stunk and if it hadn't been for the celebration- I would have balked at paying the 45 bucks!!!!!
    In general, if the place is packed out- 10 minutes for drink order, and no more than 10 additional for entree orders.

Tree City likes this.
  4. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

Like you said- I think it depends on how busy they are. If they are super busy &/or look shorthanded- I give them a bit more slack. But I'm not a patient person to begin with- so there's that! ;) My hubby is more likely to wait it out where I'm like flagging someone down! lol

I can't remember the last time that has happened to us, but I have had some pretty crummy service lately. At our favorite hole in the wall- I ordered a beer- it was one of those crazy days & a cold beer with my yummy dinner sounded great. Never got it. After she delivered our food, I asked again & still never got it. She remembered when she brought our bill & apologized & said she took it off the bill- Heck ya you took it off! It's sad when it's such a good place, I hate to not go back due to the great food, but man, they could work on their service for sure... :/

Tree City likes this.
  5. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I wouldn't wait very long either. I haven't had that happen for a long time either, but if they're not busy, especially, there's no excuse for that! Even if they are busy, I agree with you, Sara, just give an acknowledgement that you're there and they'll be over shortly.

Tree City likes this.
  6. Eyeore

Eyeore Think it over, think it under

I totally want to be seen and greeted, I can wait for great food if in great company.
    Never thought about the service being poor, food being poor - an eye opener for me and something to consider.

Tree City likes this.
  7. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I think Sara, what you did was right. I am the more patient of the two of us.. DH doesn't do well with that kind of treatment and like you said, if they do not come over to the table, when everything is ready how do you know if it will be old when you get it..plus if you complain, then do you worry about retribution? Best thing, leave and go elsewhere..

If enough people do that (and say something to the people coming in as you are leaving) then when there are empty tables they may get the stuff together.. A Monday night too.. how odd. Glad you left, but sorry you had the issue. Hope you went elsewhere and enjoyed!

Tree City likes this.
  8. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

In England it's normal to raise your hand to say you are ready to order and then someone will come across or tell you they'll be with you shortly. We don't wait for someone to come to the table. Greeting normally happens at the entrance when we say how many seats we want and get directed to a table.

bestcee and Tree City like this.
  9. Karen

Karen Alarm off, brunch ON

Huh. I don't think I've ever left a restaurant because I had to wait a long time for a server, I never even considered it an option because I guess if I'm going out to eat it's because I'm hungry and want whatever food we came to get. :giggle

Tree City likes this.
  10. AJK

Another option for poor service- if you leave or not- would be to either politely contact management AFTER the visit to explain the lack of service; offering them the opportunity to improve the establishment. OR leave a review on Yelp, Urban Spoon, or Trip Advisor. Being honest but kind may get the point across.

Tree City likes this.
  11. wvsandy

wvsandy I love ALL parts of the baby! No, really!

I will go find a manager and ask who our server is. We go out in the early crowd and I think that we hit shift change. My big problem is when you have to wait to be seated for 30 minutes or so when there are empty tables. I won't do it unless we are with friends or family who really want to eat there.

Tree City likes this.
  12. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

We have left before. Mostly it's for rude staff or inattentiveness. At the point, who knows what will happen to my food. If we are seated, and no one arrives with in 5-10 minutes, DH or I remind the hostess politely. Maybe they forgot to pass the message along, or the server needed a quick break. Usually, we are tended to right away with no issues.

One time that I was so turned off by the hostess manager, we left. We were told we could be seated and followed the hostess. She was unsure where to sit us, and ended up stopping to double check. The manager came over and basically berated her in front of us. We had to wait a few more minutes before being seated. I was ok with the original hostess. She was being polite and explained she made an error. Then the manager had to be all rude. I got upset, and opened my mouth to the hostess manager and told her she was being rude and her hostess was not. I advised that you are embarrassing yourself, your hostess, and showing how you handle a simple hiccup with rudeness. You do not treat people opr reprimand employees in front of guests. Period. We had some words and my family walked out. I go back there occasionally, and honestly, hope I'm not recognized, but I don't think that the hostess manager works there any longer.
    *shrug*

It doesn't come out often, but when it does, watch out.

Tree City and cfile like this.
  13. Tree City

thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts!

@AJK my DH contacted the company but didn't post any public reviews (like on Yelp, Google, etc). We figured we'll give them another chance before posting anything public. If it had been just the two of us on a date, then I would have stopped at the hosting station and let them know, but honestly I just wanted to get out of there before DS had a meltdown. :giggle Like I said, he handled it really well but there is a limit! Because you're right: a company can't do better if they don't know what's wrong.

@jk703 Good for you, for sticking up for the hostess! And you were totally right in doing so. Berating an employee is never a good idea, especially in front of paying customers. If the manager acts like that in public, then what the heck goes on behind the scenes?!

@Angela Toucan I didn't realize it was different in England. I mean, I know each country (and sometimes different areas of a country) have their own customs, of course. :) England's way makes sense because you don't have a server hovering over you while you're trying to decide what you want!

14. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I can be pretty patient, but I have flagged other servers down, especially when I need a drink refill. My son bases his tip entirely on how often they come by for a water refill.

The most frustrating thing for us recently was when a group of about 15 ate out. The kids were at one end of the table so that meant our bill was spread out over the table. All the food was right and good. However, they got two portions of the split bill wrong 3 times in a row - and it took them at least 20 minutes in their attempts to fix it. We ended up getting a free entree out of it, but that was not our intent - we just didn't want to wait another 10 minutes for them to fix it. For some reason, the server was not the one creating the bill - kind of like the game of telephone - so much garble.

Tree City likes this.
  15. Ferdy

Ferdy No.More.Chaps.and. Leathers!

If I choose to stay and complain, I'd be afraid of receiving a food with "special treatment", like spit on it...lol so I think it's better to leave the place and talk to a manager or make a review on a social media. We did this before ( me and fiance), and no regrets about it!

cfile and Tree City like this.
  16. AJK

I agree. I do leave reviews just about everywhere I go- if its the first time. Hubster and I are foodies for sure, so reviews are "a thing". If we have a pattern of great service, I will state that too.

Tree City and Ferdy like this.
  17. Ferdy

Ferdy No.More.Chaps.and. Leathers!

I always look for reviews before going to a place - to eat, drink, travel, doctor, stores- I like to have an idea of what to expect!!

Cherylndesigns and Tree City like this.
  18. bestcee

bestcee Lorelei and Rory are my neighbors

I've been a server and DH worked in the kitchen, so we are a little more patient than most I think.

My worst night as a server was when I was brand new. We ended up with a late evening rush. The hostess wasn't paying attention and sat me 4 tables in 10 minutes. I had 2 other tables (totally against the limit for a new server or even an older server!) I had said hi to 2 of the 4, didn't know the other 2 had been sat. I was grabbing drinks and trying to get my manager to split the bill for one of the first tables. I'm not sure how long tables 3-4 sat there, but I do know 1 decided to yell at me for not saying hi fast enough. They said they had waited 20 min - which that I know wasn't true. At most it was 10 min - if they'd been sat the second I turned my back. Yes, it was a long time, but it was a combination of the hostess not wanting people to wait with tables empty in the restaurant, not communicating that I had been sat so I could grab someone to say hi, overseating me, and my manager not wanting to help me out (The manager got written up for the whole situation later).

All that said, I will wait longer than most I think. And I also will look around to see if I can figure out who our server is supposed to be and what they are doing. Most of the time, I see the wait is caused by a large table with multiple checks, hear a table that is complaining, or see the server delivering food to a table. Now, we have been known to walk out and leave money on the table for drinks if meals are taking too long to arrive with no explanation and missing server. And I have walked out at the beginning before, but it usually takes me closer to 15 minutes.

Tree City likes this.
  19. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

I have walked out after about 25 minutes,of being seated but no order taken, here it is a bit like England,
    Mostly you get greeted and seated as you walk in and handed a menu. This time we were super hungry, so we left, only to have to wait a very long time for our food at the place down the road..
    My theory is that every one from the first restaurant came to the second one and they got rushed of their feet :ballonhang
    I have been known to go to the bar /drinks area,and ask if we could please have our drinks, and I have also done the same about the food. But discreetly, some times that will result in a small free appetizer.

Tree City likes this.
  20. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I prefer bridges made of concrete

like @bestcee I’ve worked as a server as well as in customer service roles so I am pretty patient and at times depending on the situation can tolerate iffy service if there’s a reason for it.

With my contract work that i’m doing now I was given the contact details of the person we are interviewing first last Thursday, I knew we wouldn’t be able to do the interview til at least next Monday as my colleague was a) overseas until this past Monday then had other commitments this week and b) had not been sent all of the resources by the host company yet. I decided that the interviewee probably hadn’t been informed by the project coordinator that there was a delay in starting the interviews from our end so I made it a point of ringing them last friday to introduce myself and let them know of the delay and that once my colleague was back in New Zealand and I knew that the resource package had been sent I would be in contact again to make firm plans

bestcee and Tree City like this.