How do you organize your Lilypad products?

Discussion in 'Month of Challenges Nine - 2021' started by pbrooks, Jan 28, 2021.

1. julianz

julianz Well-Known Member

Curious. Tell me about your Excel files. How do they work?

2. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Well, I started keeping them when I did creative team work many years ago so I could track what products were used on the layouts. Then I just expanded it to recording what products I use... kits, elements, word art, fonts, templates and the name of the layout. I then add a small jpg showing the final layout.

Then a couple years ago I started using a spreadsheet that Cheryl (@gonewiththewind) shared here. It records photos for events and you can add jpgs of the layouts for the event on the spreadsheet.

I will say that the spreadsheet I started over 12 years ago has come in handy this past year. I found photos when I scanned old negatives for an event that I had done a CT layout on 8 years ago. Since I knew which kit from which designer, I could do more layouts using the same items since I have kept all those CT kits. I pulled the kit out of EHD storage and scrapped away. So now the 4 layouts for the event all coordinate.

gonewiththewind and julianz like this.
  3. julianz

julianz Well-Known Member

@HavaDrPepper thanks - food for thought there. I don't CT but that could be useful for long-term projects and albums.

4. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Exactly! I haven't been on a CT for about 7 years but these spreadsheets are still very useful for me. I did a layout the other day that I wanted to remember the settings for shadows and title font size because it will be a year long project. Easier to just record that on the spreadsheet than opening the layered file and trying to figure out what I did every month.

5. wvufan04

wvufan04 Well-Known Member

I do like many others - everything is on an external hard drive.
    I have one folder for all supplies and then sub folders in it - I have folders for stores and within those folders are the kits (I label each folder with the designer - name of kit) I also change all my folder icons to the previews so I can scroll through and "see" generally what is in each kit. I just started putting a short cut to the store link in the folders as well (I should have done this all along so will try and add links when I use kits and share them). My templates are in their own folder though - I have a folder labeled templates - inside that are subfolders, I keep designers that I use/purchase often with their own folder (it helps for challenges sometimes to go straight to a designer) but then I have a folder labeled 12x12 and everything 12x12 goes in there (a jpeg version and psd version)

6. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

HavaDrPepper and julianz like this.
  7. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

Mine are organized by designer (not store) on my EHD and tagged in ACDSee. My ACDSee categories include Type (kit, alpha, etc.), Theme (animals, family, etc.), Texture (glitter, plastic, etc. -- mostly just for alphas), Holiday/Season/Celebration, and Activity. I just tag the thumbnail of the kit/element. I keep my new kits in a "To Be Used" folder on my EHD and then move them over to the appropriate designer's folder after using them.

For MOC, I duplicate all of my TLP to be used kits (that are still in the store) and put them in a folder on my laptop hard drive. Once I have used it, I delete it from my hard drive and move the copy on my EHD into the appropriate designer's folder.

8. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

Documents>Personal Art Kits>Designer Name-product name-specialty tag

Example: Documents>Personal Art Kits>Pink Reptile Designs - Listed 0121BYOC

For kits that come with multiple alphas, I would name a separate folder as follows:
    Pink Reptile Designs - Listed Alphas 0121BYOC

I use NIS at the end if the product is N(ot) I(n) S(tore).

I don't use an EHD.

Product from other stores goes in a folder Non-TLP Digital Kits.

9. kendrawalter

kendrawalter Well-Known Member

Like @chai , I use a lot of finder tags on my mac to search all my products on my external hard drive (though you don't need an EHD for this). My tag for the Lilypad is Green so if I'm scrolling through my entire stash, those stand out. I can also use the search to narrow down the finder window to only kits tagged TLP. I have a yellow one for Freebies, and a Red one for Retired so I'm cautious with those when scrapping for a challenge. All other categories I assign "no color" but can search for multiple tags at a time. So for example, when we did the birthday page earlier this month, I searched for products that had both "TLP" and "Birthday" tags which narrowed it down to just a few kits which was a great jumping off point!
    finder-tags.jpg

bestcee and chai like this.