How do you name your layout files?

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by kelley, Feb 2, 2019.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I can see it in the properties window on Windows on the print page that I save and the gallery size. If you don't save a JPEG, a txt file would be easier.

cinderella likes this.
  2. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I do the year, month, date for most pages, sometimes just year and month if it's an older photo, along with some sort of event identifier
    20151225_christmasday

I actually save my CT pages under different names
    usually
    store_MonthProduct-kiana
    this let's me know what store, and product and adding my name at the end is easy for the designer to know who created it

I don't save PSD or TIFF so I don't need anything other than my jpegs.

3. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I name my layouts in a way that they are all listed in chrological order no matter when I eventually get around to creating each page. They are named:

YYYY-MM-DD Description

so for example 2018-07-01 Interlochen Camping page 1

The date is the date of the event I'm scrapping and then the description is whatever the page is about and if it's a trip where I do multiple pages, I just add page 1, page 2, page 3, etc. so they will all be listed in order when I flip through them later. :)

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  4. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I should name with the date like a lot of these ladies, but honestly I just name them the title of the layout. I always add the layout credits (kit,template, font, etc & LINKS!) in the metadata so it stays with the layout wherever I move it! I keep my printed layouts in 3 ring binders, so I can add layouts to each year's album fairly easily!

bestcee and weaselwatchr like this.
  5. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I'm weird. I name it with the products... then at the end, all layout use a date in this format - 02-2019 or Jan 2019 - so I know what month the moment scrapped is from... then when pull into my album folders, I manually sort by date, and use colors to see what months I can make more pages. I have a tendency to have more layouts during better weather.

So, I'll have: TLP - SWL_Wntrz_JJSnwFn_SpcElt_CBeach_01-2019

I used Scrapping with Liz - Winterize, Just Jaimee Snow Fun, Font is Special Elite and it was Colin on the Beach in January 2019.

6. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

This is what I do although I have found I recycle titles alot so it makes it difficult to find things later. I am watching this thread, because I may need to up my layout naming game!

amien1 likes this.
  7. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

My layouts are almost all named:
    Year
    Month
    Day of photo
    Title of page
    For example: 20171226leap

Certain pages that might be part of special albums may have album identifying initials, such as an art journal page, or a kid's book: AJ201901insideme RB20130429rorymakes4

This is so when i go to print my album, i can quickly upload all AJ pages into one folder for shutterfly or something. When I'm ready to print a specific year's book, i can just grab the layouts dated for that year. I keep them sorted by date the photos took place.

This also makes it easy for me to look through a folder of photos and see which photos have already been scrapped, because i keep photos organized by year/month in date order, too.

8. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

This is me! Recycled titles or subjects. Hence why I add the date.

9. navaja77

navaja77 Well-Known Member

I save mine this way: year-month-day-title (e.g. 2019-02-04-today.jpg) and for the layouts I upload I add "_sm" to the end of it (2019-02-04-today_sm.jpg) and file it in a folder by designer (for CT work). I save the full layouts in folders by year.

10. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

@kelley

I save my layouts in folders by year - not year that I scrapped the photos, but the actual year the photos were taken in. I'm not a chronological scrapper, but I do love organization and having my layouts printed in some semblance of order, so that's why I do it that way.

The file name is the name of the scrapbook layout, followed by the name(s) of the people in the layout, and then finally, the date. If I'm doing an album of my son or daughter, it's easy to search by their name, and then sort by date.

I view my PSDs in Lightroom and once I've printed them, I change their color tag so I know they are printed. But here's what they look like in File Explorer.

LayoutNaming.JPG

Here's what it looks like in Lightroom. The yellow arrow is just showing out the layout that is marked with red has already been printed in a photo book. :)

LayoutNaming2.JPG

11. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I name all of my layouts Year-Month-Title. I print them all chronologically so I can see at a glance which year folder they belong to and they will auto-sort based on the month number. I occasionally have to tweak the ordering when I'm actually printing, like making sure someone's birthday is in the right part of the month, but otherwise sorting by month is usually good enough for me.