How do you deal with a stomach virus?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by KayTeaPea, Feb 5, 2015.

1. KayTeaPea

KayTeaPea I carried a watermelon

My son was up all night sick as a dog-- and I'm not sure what to do now. Should I try to take him to the doctor? Just let him rest now, and try to get some liquids/fluids in him? When should I worry after a certain number of hours or what? Arg- he is 15 so I feel like I shouldn't be so freaked out by this but he is still my little guy!

2. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

sprite in a fun cup, a bucket, snuggles on the couch. He will eat when he is hungry. Go easy when he can eat. Eggs toast, light. Keeping him hydrated is important. Tylenol/ Motrin every 4 hours, and if fever, watch for spikes...my boys sleep, eat, vomit, sleep then bounce around, repeat. Keeping them quiet is the key! Video games, reading books, etc. If you have a family doctor, give them a call and see what they think. Their staff are usually the best help!
    Take pics when he is sleeping and snuggle!

3. KayTeaPea

he is so pale and wan. I gave him pedialyte and pepto, but he threw them up. Stomach bug is going around, the middle kiddo was home sick yesterday, but she only threw up once and felt queasy the rest of the day. I used to get the stomach flu each year (in high school) and not be able to keep anything down until I went to the hospital and had fluids and iv meds. I am hoping he is not like me in that regard!

4. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

what Anne explained above is what I would do-

If he has a fever- I wont doubt a minute, take him to the docs-
    Fever could be sign of infection and any bug/virus/whatever that comes into the system makes our body react to it...some fevers only mean you need to expel the toxins and nothing else...but I would not wait if he has a fever, I go straight to the doctors.....

5. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

Yup, fever is bad news, otherwise you just wait it out. My daughter recently went through this and was able to keep down oatmeal and digestive crackers, not much else. It sucks!

6. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

OK. - don't panic. Watch his temperature. That is the most important thing. If it goes above 101 it can be dangerous, especially to a guy that age. If temp is below 101, its probably not that serious, but if he can't manage anything else , ice chips can help keep him hydrated and cool.

solid stuff - only if he wants - start with dry toast or crackers if he is vomiting - then as he wishes. Let him rest. If he is hungry or thirsty he will let you know. High temp, convulsions, or loss of cognitive function - head for the emergency.

I always hated to head off to emergency unless it was really needed , so I learned some indicators. - too many germs and stuff in hospitals. I avoid them. for me the temperature rising was my indicator of when to go to doctor or emerge.

good luck - generally most things run their course and we are fine a few days.

When my first child had his first vaccinations he got a crazy high fever and had convulsions. I was totally freaked out and very quickly learned how to deal with things. Just stay calm...

7. mollyscraps

mollyscraps Feeding everyone's sweet tooth

The fact that he can't keep down fluids meant to hydrate him leads me to suggest a doctor visit. Hydration is vital.

8. jaye

jaye My other car is a Zamboni!

if he is vomiting up fluids I would at least give the doctor a call and see if they want to see him or wait a little bit. Definitely keep him hydrated and let him sleep. When my son is sick he tends to sleep it off, I have to remind him to drink. I don't worry about food unless he asks for something but most times it is just sleep he wants.

Hope he gets better soon.

9. KayTeaPea

After lunch time, he was able to keep down water, pedialyte, then a piece of toast. His fever never got about 100, and he seems to be over the worst of it now. Thanks for all the info, ladies!

10. jaye

jaye My other car is a Zamboni!

glad to hear he was able to keep something down and seems to be on the mend.

11. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Kelly, I am late to this thread so I hope he is much better today. My doc always told me that doesn't matter your age you drink pedialyte or gatorade with a spoon. Yeah, just one spoonful or 2 every 15 mins. This will help the body to keep it down. He also said that you must go to the doc or er if the patient stops urinating, being a sign of dehydration.