How can I change the color of a doodle?

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by Miss Becki..., Feb 13, 2018.

1. Miss Becki...

Miss Becki... Active Member

Forgive me if this is not the right place for a question like this. I have a template in which one of the layers is a black "doodle". I have been trying all night to change this doodle to white, and I'm just not getting it. I'm using PSE12 and I'm (obviously) a beginner with this program. Can anyone help me? Thank you!!!

cfile likes this.
  2. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

Becki, what I do in my Photoshop CS6 and should work is PSE is to add a new layer above the doodle layer and fill that with white using the bucket then clip that to the doodle layer and merge the two layers.
    If you are unsure about clipping... on the filled layer right click and choose clipping mask.

3. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

@Miss Becki... Becki, I use Photoshop CC, so I'm not sure how it's done in PSE, but I'll tell you how I do it for non-textured items, such as doodles (super easy) in PS CC. Hopefully, it works the same or close in PSE.

1. Control + click on the thumbnail of the item in the Layers panel. This should select the item on your layout, and you should see "marching ants" around it.
    2. Set your foreground color to whatever color you want the doodle to be (white in this case). A shortcut for this is to press "D" to reset the default colors to black & white. You can press "X" over and over to rotate between them (i.e. white/black being the foreground & background colors).
    3. After you've got the foreground color set to what you want and you have marching ants around your doodle, press Shift + Backspace. This should bring up a FILL dialogue box. I make sure the CONTENTS field is set to FOREGROUND and press OK. This changes the color. You can also change the opacity and blend mode from here.
    I use this process all the time to change the color of non-textured items. If I want to use a color from my layout (instead of black or white), I use the eyedropper.

Again, I know you're using PSE, and I'm using PS CC, so I don't know what the differences are, but hopefully this helps. It's super-fast (takes literally a few seconds). Let me know if you have any questions. I'm happy to help if I can.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    KellyM and Miss Becki... like this.
  4. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I take a different way:
    Lock the pixels on that layer and then paint it white with the brush tool.
    Lock Transparent PIxels.PNG

Miss Becki... and A-M like this.
  5. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

Thankyou Courtney for teaching me something new. Now I just need to remember how to do it when I want to use the technique.

KellyM and bestcee like this.
  6. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

One other simple method is clipping any white paper you have to the doddle. Then you could have any color you wanted that is in the kit. :)

If you need more help, give us a shout! I can take screen grabs and walk you through filling a layer, clipping,, filling the actual doodle, or just clipping paper.

7. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Miss Becki, changing from black to white, or white to black, all you need to do is do invert. This works in both PS and PSE regardless of version.

Hold down CTRL + I (CTRL Key and the I key) at the same time on a PC or CMMD + I on a Mac.

This will invert the color on the layered doodle. Yes you can clip a solid adj layer to the black doodle but if you just want to change from Black to white or white to black, this is the quickest and easiest way to do that.

As you can see from the above posts, there are multiple ways to get to the same effect. Try them all and see which way works best for you :)

Hope this helps :)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  8. suzyqscraps

suzyqscraps How now brown cow

This is one of my favorite ways to change colors of doodles or paint. I like that it adds some texture as well. :)

cfile likes this.
  9. NancyBeck

NancyBeck Happy resident of Pollyville

I'm always amazed by the multitude of ways a single thing can be done in Photoshop!

10. Miss Becki...

Miss Becki... Active Member

You ladies are AMAZING!!! So many great ways to do the same thing! I ended up doing the CTRL+I because that seemed like the easiest way, lol, but I also tried the other ways to make sure that I could do it again if I wanted to use a different color and they worked!!! Thank you so much for your help! :)

11. heathert

heathert Well-Known Member

I just set the color I want in the foreground, then do shift+alt+backspace =)

merank, bestcee and Miss Becki... like this.
  12. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

YAY that is terrific! So glad it worked for you!!!

13. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

I had to laugh, Heather, because I wrote a 6-paragraph post for what you said in one sentence...lol. Good job!

14. heathert

heathert Well-Known Member

Whoops, sorry about that! Guess I didn't read carefully enough!

KellyM and londoncuppa like this.
  15. KellyM

KellyM Kickin' cancer's butt!

I agree! Thank you Courtney!

16. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

17. navaja77

navaja77 Well-Known Member