Homemade gifts | pad patter 12.10.19

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by keepscrappin, Dec 10, 2019.

1. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I'm way behind on being ready for Christmas and I really need to get some shopping done, but at least I have one gift ready. It's a calendar for my hubby. Every year I print a 11 x 8.5 Shutterfly wall calendar for my hubby from my digi layouts. He loves it and looks forward to it every year because I've made it special for him and it gets some of my layouts printed and out in the open where we can enjoy them every day.

I usually end up getting a free wall calendar coupon from Shutterfly in the fall and again in January, so it only costs about $8 for shipping. What a great deal for such a treasured gift!

Last year, I didn't get the calendar ordered before Christmas and he was so disappointed on Christmas morning. I felt so bad that finished up the last couple of month's layouts and ordered it in January and gave it to him as a belated present.

Here's a link to the calendar I'm giving him this year, if you wanna take a peak.
    https://link.shutterfly.com/e/tAWXPhNhj2

Do you give or love receiving homemade gifts?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    cfile, Scrapping with Liz and wvsandy like this.
  2. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Your calendar is wonderful, Kayla!

I won't be giving any handmade gifts this year. I'm working on a huge cross stitch piece and if I don't finish it by January to give it to my mom for her birthday, it will be my mom's Christmas gift next year. I've given other embroidery/cross stitch pieces to family in the past.

I've given photo books - digital and traditional paper scrapped - and those always were well loved.

I think it's so good to share hand crafted goodies with our loved ones!

keepscrappin likes this.
  3. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Your calendar is just wonderful, Kayla!! No wonder your hubby looks forward to getting it each year.

I'm not making any Christmas gifts, but I just finished making all the "girls" photo books for their birthdays. They each loved the books I made them.

4. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

After much begging on their part, one year I knitted sweaters for everyone in my family (6). I thought it would get them off my back about making them sweaters. Their answer? Would I do it again the next year? Ha!

Typically I love to make gifts. In the past I've made everything from knitted sweaters or Christmas stockings, quilts, to ornaments. Once the kids got bigger it became harder to find the time to make things due to their activities and schedule. This year I had grand plans, but it ended up the best time for our home renovation was ... NOW! So, I'll put it off again until next year.

I'm thinking about making needle-felted critters for everyone!

5. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

I love making homemade gifts!
    I made this for my daughter Emma.
    6C8EA014-C732-46BB-A4C3-0BC9B34B01B5.jpeg
    and this is still need to be completed, my family Christmas party you are ‘encouraged’ to bring a homemade gift for the exchange.
    It is a pillow, still need to quilt the top and put the back on.
    E56C3828-D939-4671-95AC-35FCCBA13213.jpeg

6. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

this would be so cute!!!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  7. keepscrappin

I remember seeing some of your cross-stitch creations and I bet your mom will love it!

gonewiththewind likes this.
  8. keepscrappin

I've got photo books in the works but they're not close enough to be finished in time for Christmas. There's always next year right!

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  9. keepscrappin

WOW... Now those are some handmade gifts! No wonder they want more!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  10. keepscrappin

What a labor of love! So pretty!

11. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Absolutely!!

keepscrappin likes this.
  12. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

That is just adorable!

13. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

He is going to love your calendar!

I didn't make anything homemade crafty gifts this year. The closest I'm getting to homemade stuff is using a digital Xmas card design and am making a few snackie bags to give out to family and homemade cookies in a tin for a few friends.

keepscrappin likes this.
  14. keepscrappin

Definitely homemade and YUMMY too! YAY!

15. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I don't usually do homemade gifts, other than homemade bread or cookies for neighbors and friends.

This year I did have my kids make homemade bookmarks, soap and little clay jewelry holders for their tutors at our homeschool group. That was fun for them.

16. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I have a couple of handmade gifts to give this year. I made some jewelry for one of my youngest son's teachers who also happens to be a friend of mine and then I also made something for my Mom. She asked for some printed address labels for all 4 of her grand kids and then for my hubby and I and my sister and her hubby, so that when she sends us cards throughout the year she doesn't have to hand write the addresses because her handwriting is getting so shaky. So printed a bunch of address labels and then made her a cute little booklet that holds them all in one place with a little tab for each name. It turned out super cute and I know she's going to love it and use it for several years to come. :agree

I'm trying to finish a crochet blanket for my son before Christmas too, but I haven't had much time to sit and work on it since Thanksgiving. That one might be belated... :giggle

17. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Love the calendar, Kayla!

My "homemade" gifts are mostly printed digital projects. I used to do calendars each year for the grandparents, but it has gotten harder to get the photos as the kids got older, so I stopped. I JUST finished making a photo book for my in-laws yesterday (and had to pay for expedited shipping for it to get here in time... procrastination doesn't pay!). They went on a European River Cruise with friends in October and I made a book from their photos. I completely underestimated how hard it is to work with other people's photos! I had their itinerary, so I knew a bit of what the photos were of, but I didn't know specifics. I ended up using a template set that has lots of white space and I'm going to gift them some fine tipped Sharpies with the book, so they can fill any additional labels they would like to add.

I would love to gift crocheted items that I've made, but I'm not confident enough in my skills yet (nor am I good with figuring out timelines to get everything done in time). I did crochet a bunch of granny square Christmas ornaments that I might give out... we'll see.

Karen likes this.
  18. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Beautiful calendar Kayla!! Thanks for showing!!! He will love it!