Holidays...because..like..they're right around the corner...

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by mlpieters, Nov 5, 2009.

1. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

hubby still doesn't know if he is working over thanksgiving or not, so we're staying flexible. if he doesn't have to work, we're gonna head back to parents' houses to celebrate, which entails me cooking all day while DML works and then the in-laws & my parents and whoever else is around chillin' & gettin' fat! lol!

haven't a clue for Christmas yet... way to early to be thinking of that! :)

2. Jule

Jule New Member

there is no thanksgiving here in germany so I only have to focus on christmas ;)

I am on night shift the whole christmas days long but I hope that the nights will be quite so that I am not toooo tired and can spend some time with my family.
    I never am good at having ideas for presents and so this is always hard for me.
    The only present I have unil now is one for my dad...And I am working in a wall calendar for my parents, my aunt and my grandma...

3. my3hens

my3hens Is only good for one thing....

I seriously have no clue. We generally just go to my inlaws around noon and stay a couple hours and then head to my parents for dinner. Its hard cause you know the familys are always arguing over who gets to see who longer and what not.
    I am excited cause we will have a little more money then usual to buy our kids gifts this year. Not that is what the holidays are by any means at all but seriously last year was so tough on us. I believe we will be attending church in the morning as well.
    This year I was seriously considering cooking thanksgiving dinner myself. Scary huh LOL But I really want to set a tradition for my family now.

4. estir_bune

estir_bune Guest

my daughter turns 6 right before turkey day so next Saturday is her party - and can you believe it... we are having our FIRST SLEEP OVER! ok just shoot me now... what have I done???? OY!
    Right after the party we have to bulldoze the mess that the house will be left in because we will be celebrating Thanksgiving here...
    Right before Christmas, my stud muffin, I mean husband celebrates his birthday... Christmas eve is church service, chilli and gifts at our house... Christmas day is spent with Hubbie's family at the retirement center where his grandmother lives. it's a crazy time of year!

5. Suze

Suze :: GAME.ON ::

nope no plans yet. I'm sure I'll do the usual family stuff but thats it. :wine

6. Nettie B

Nettie B Guess what color my hair is!

Sarah - i so hear you! while one one hand, thank you Lord for family and that they are close, the other hand is wishing it was just me, the hubby and the kid sharing together, like Sara, without all this Lovely Passive Aggressive Nice-ness Double-Speak Negotiation going on that is what it is with large families ....

we've got the schedule knocked down to days for mama's family, days for daddy's family, instead of spending the each holiday in the car, but that took some fancy two-stepping, SIL and auntie involvement from both sides, and several discreet pounds of Godiva changing hands.

Oh - and catering - it cannot be recommended enough - and Whole Foods does Thanksgiving oh so fine. By the time you calculate the actual cost of replacing the spices you actually only use once a year - it's about the same, and that's before you take off for your sanity bonus !

7. bderby

bderby No, I will not tell you what "merde" means!

I can't believe that it is already holiday season!!! it is going to be over before we know it too.

DH is in med school and has only Thursday and Friday off at Thanksgiving (with massive test the next week and finals the week after, so we will be pretty much hanging out with out him!). We live close to his family, so we will spend it with them which could be good, and also could make me want to take some serious medication! LOL

Then, Christmas, we are headed to my parents (woohoo!) the week before Christmas, leaving the boys with my mom and dad, flying to New York for an outpatient surgery for me (revision from reconstruction this summer) and back to my parents on Christmas Eve and meeting up with the rest of my siblings for the actual holiday. I can't wait--a little nervous that the whole surgery thing wasn't too smart to schedule, but LOVE spending time with my family and seeing how much the boys love them and their cousins.