Holiday Creeping|Pad Patter 11.5

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Nov 5, 2020.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

This year has had a lot of meshing into each other. When I went out the week before Halloween, the store had sold so much Halloween stuff, they had Christmas out already. When I went on October 30, there was Halloween on clearance and tons of Christmas stuff.

It always bugs me when holidays creep up on the one before. I don't need Back to School stuff on the 4th of July!

What about you? Are you someone who likes to be able to purchase stuff early? Or are you one who hates seeing Halloween to Christmas with no Thanksgiving in between? Or any other holiday that gets skipped by the next one.

2. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Hate it.

One time it wasn't even about the holidays. I went to Wal-Mart in January or February and right next to racks full of winter coats were the swimsuits. Definitely shocking to see those displays.

bestcee likes this.
  3. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Hate it! Ugh... It drives me bonkers.

bestcee likes this.
  4. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

I see Christmas candy in the stores in October. It makes me wonder how old the candy really is by the time Christmas rolls around.

Memaw2Wm, bestcee and bellbird like this.
  5. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Yeah it annoys me that back to school stuff is everywhere here before January rolls around and xmas trees are still up, some breathing room would be nice - hot cross buns for easter usually appear in the shops Jan 1 too which is just wrong, i will admit to enjoying the large reprieve between easter and xmas stuff showing up though, i can largely ignore the smallish although growing halloween displays

bestcee likes this.
  6. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Couldn’t have said it better @bellbird

bestcee likes this.
  7. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I'll never forget the time, in June, when I went into Hobby Lobby and they had all of their Christmas stuff out. I-yi-yi

I completely feel like Thanksgiving gets pretty much "ignored" - the merchants are so caught up in the Halloween - Christmas mania.

bestcee likes this.
  8. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I don't like it at all but I've learned to ignore it lol Especially the school stuff in July. I just stroll past and don't look until I'm ready!

Memaw2Wm and bestcee like this.
  9. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

I hate it! And I agree that it happens with non-holiday things, too. There have been times when one of the kids lost a glove in late January or early February and it's impossible to find new ones by then! Bathing suits, sure, but no winter gear in the middle of winter!

bestcee and Juliestcyr like this.
  10. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

11. Juliestcyr

Juliestcyr Grammar nerd and proud of it

I get that people need to purchase stuff in advance. But it feels ridiculous sometimes. I was buying Hallowe'en treats for my Brownie unit on the 31st (our meeting was the next morning), and I had to move fast because the Dollarama staff were literally coming down the aisle, tearing down Hallowe'en and putting up Christmas. It felt like an Indiana Jones movie, but instead of retrieving a jade statue before the temple collapsed, I needed 22 Hallowe'en pencils, a witch hat and some bat-shaped gummies before everything turned red, white and green.

rach3975, bestcee and Donitab like this.
  12. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I hate this! I've gone looking for a new swimsuit in August and found zero because the winter stuff is in. Blah!

rach3975 likes this.
  13. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

We don't see much of that.
    The day after Christmas we will see back to school, after that it's Valentine's etc, Easter, Mother's Day etc
    We don't do Halloween and Thanksgiving so Christmas goodies have no competition from mid-October.

bestcee likes this.
  14. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Normally I’m all about waiting until after thanksgiving to start decorating for Christmas, but this year, I say if people want to start early... I could use more happy sparkles in my life. My friend and I actually went for a walk today and saw a lady putting up her outside Christmas lights while wearing a tank top. It was 75 degrees and sunny which is NOT normal for November in Michigan. I loved it!

mary kate, bestcee and jenny like this.
  15. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Year Round schools start in early July - hence why the school stuff starts showing up then. I am okay for that.

Yeah, we need more Thanksgiving decorations. Not decided yet on when Christmas is going up. It is my daughter's birthday so I usually give in with what she wants. May be this coming weekend.

16. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

This, I was out this past weekend adhering Command outdoor light clips in preparation for putting up my Christmas light T'giving weekend. Who knows, maybe I'll get them up and lit before T'giving this year.

Karen likes this.
  17. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I'm used to holiday creeping at craft and fabric stores, mostly because I need time to actually make something before the big event. But as far as the rest of the stores? Let's just say it really bugs me when I hear Christmas music being played in a department store on Veteran's Day when I'd really love to be hearing patriotic music. This is why I adore Nordstrom's, for they don't roll out their Christmas decorations until the day after Thanksgiving. Every year I make a point to thank the store manager. It really is appreciated!

18. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

We were at Sam's Club yesterday and they were playing Christmas music. I like Christmas music, but I don't want to listen to it in the fall when I'm trying to decide whether I'm going to make ham or turkey for Thanksgiving. I don't mind the decorations (I like being able to buy ahead) but I draw the line at the music! LOL

KimJ likes this.