History | Pad Patter 4.9

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Apr 9, 2023.

1. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

My mom always wanted to take me to DC but we never got there as a family. Dad did have a Navy reunion there in 1996 and Mom was too ill to make the trip so I went with Dad instead. One of the tours the reunion had arranged was to the various war memorials. Considering I was with a group of veterans from the Korean War, that was a very solemn visit. There was one member of the group that attended every year because the ship was the one that had evacuated his Army group from Korea. He felt a kinship with these guys. Seeing him at that memorial had me crying. You could see him reliving that war by his facial reactions. A moment I will never forget.

Memaw2Wm likes this.
  2. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

I love history. I was in AP history in high school and have been loving it ever since. In fact one of the things I have told hubby is that if I outlive him I would be moving to France and becoming a tour guide in Normandy. Our travels generally take us to historical places. We did a tour of the colosseum in Rome that took us underneath it where the gladiators and animals were kept which was amazing. It always leaves me in awe to think that certain historical figures may have once stood where I am standing. I have lots of favorites. Gettysburg is on my bucket list tho. We haven’t been to any civil war sites.