History | Pad Patter 4.9

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Apr 9, 2023.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I'm running behind in all ways today. It's been a busy weekend!! Chance and I left on Friday to tour a few Civil War Battlefields. We headed to Gettysburg, PA, did the tour and spent the night. We got up yesterday and headed to Antietam/Sharpsburg, MD, did a driving tour there and then headed to Harpers Ferry, WV. It was a lot for a 36 hour period of time lol. To be honest, History was my least favorite subject in school and I was never really interested at all. I've learned to appreciate it more as I've gotten older. Chance is the exact opposite. He eats, sleeps, and breathes History, American History specifically but he loves World History as well. He's been telling me stories since he was little and reads Historical non-fiction for fun. Most of what I know about history, I probably learned from him lol.

So I'm curious, do you enjoy history or visiting historical places? If so, do you have a favorite historical place?

Nemla, umyesh and Memaw2Wm like this.
  2. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

I love Gettysburg! I think their historic tour is absolutely exemplary, in combining the dry-as-dust facts of historical inquiry with some really compelling human interest stories

I also love Old Fort Henry near Kingston, Ontario, Canada: welcome to our reconstruction of the War of 1812!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  3. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

We went to Boston last fall and it was a historical gold mine and one of my favorite trips ever. There was history around every corner along the Fredom Trail; it was just fascinating.

We did the Harper’s Ferry/Gettysburg trip many years ago and it was so educational. The civil war viewing tower (torn down in 2000) is where I discovered that I had a fear of heights. I remember walking towards the windows and going whoa, I don’t like this!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  4. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I got to tour The Hermitage when I went with Dad to one of his Navy reunions in the 90's. Gorgeous and I learned (but have since forgotten) things about Andrew Jackson.

In 2013 on a whim, while driving from Rocky Mount NC to Orlando, FL, I took a 30 minute side trip off of I-95 at Yemassee, SC to see the Old Sheldon Church ruins. Absolutely gorgeous and while there a couple was having their engagement photos taken. The church was built in the 1750s then burned down in 1779. It was rebuilt in 1826 only to be burned down again in 1865.

My town has history to it as well, but not what you are talking about. It was near a trading post built by the French in the 1748 and a settlement for the Shawnee tribe so there is a rich history of French, British and native American here. Of course, we are also the hometown of the first man on the moon so a bit of more recent history as well. (And, thankfully, the tornado on April 1 did not damage the Armstrong Museum... but it did major damage to a campground and truck stop across from it on the other side of I-75).

IntenseMagic likes this.
  5. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

I loved history in school.

Being in Northern VA there are lots of historical places to visit. My favorite is Mount Vernon. About 7-8 years ago we took our Cub Scout den to Mount Vernon and the guide not only took us through the house, but we toured the cellar too. No photos were allowed. Then the cubs participated in the daily wreath laying ceremony at the family tomb.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  6. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I never liked history in school but I like learning about it from audiobooks and podcasts now.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  7. Lynnette

Lynnette In my life, I've loved them all

History was always my favorite subject. I took AP US History in high school and loved it, and our teacher took us to Washington DC which was so cool. I read mostly non-fiction and listen to history podcasts. I love to go to historical sites and museums! For some reason Civil War era is my least favorite but I am listening to a podcast right now about it.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  8. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

I like history, always did, and enjoy visiting historical sites. But Tony ( my hubby) he is a true history nut, and even though his main interests are Maltese ( Mediterranean ) history much of it is coupled to the rest of the world , and linked directly both to Italy, Turkey ,France and the UK so he has a good general knowledge of most things . He also enjoy reading non fiction historical books.
    So it is always fun going somewhere with him. I don't have a favourite, but I really enjoy places that are still lived in ,if that makes sense ..... like Valletta our capital. .

Last edited: Apr 10, 2023
    IntenseMagic likes this.
  9. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

Meh -I’ve never been much of a history buff. I do like learning some history when we travel though as it does add more flavor to seeing new places. And, like some others, I’ve definitely become more interested over time. DH and I are going to Scotland and Croatia this year and I’ve been actively seeking out good books about the history of those counties (preferably in the form of historical fiction. Lol]

IntenseMagic likes this.
  10. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I never liked History in school. It always seemed to be about names and dates and I couldn't keep them all straight. Now I can only seem to learn about history from books in the historical fiction genre because they make character that I care about and then it's easier for me to remember the history parts in their stories.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  11. IntenseMagic

We were really glad we did the bus tour at Gettysburg! The guide made it so much more fun! He was so knowledgeable and shared some really interesting stories!

12. IntenseMagic

One of Chance's bucket list trips is Boston. He says he'd actually like to live in that area someday. Yeah, I don't think I would have liked that tower much at all. There was a little tower at Antietam that was plenty tall enough for me haha.

13. IntenseMagic

We have a few local historical places close by that we visit from time to time. Our town was burned during the Civil War but there are still a couple of buildings left standing that survived the fire.
    We enjoy taking little side trips when we are on a longer vacation when we see we're passing by something interesting.
    Tornados are so scary...glad it didn't damage the museum, but how sad about the campground and truck stop :(.

14. IntenseMagic

We almost headed a little east to Manassas on our trip. At one time he had a whole trip mapped out taking us across northern VA and down the eastern side. We have not been to Mount Vernon but we did visit Monticello last year. We've also been to the D-Day Memorial and Appomattox Courthouse in VA.

Memaw2Wm likes this.
  15. IntenseMagic

Yeah, I enjoy it much more hearing people tell stories in podcasts. In school, it was just boring to me.

umyesh likes this.
  16. IntenseMagic

Chance and I have both been to DC, but not together. He went on a school trip and I went before he was born. I'd like to go sometime and spend a little more time there.

17. IntenseMagic

I really do think it's more fun to visit these places with someone who knows and has studied it all. Chance always has some fun or quirky story about the places we've been and it makes it much more interesting!

Nemla likes this.
  18. IntenseMagic

Ooh that trip sounds amazing!!

19. IntenseMagic

I never could keep them all straight either. Chance just looks at me and shakes his head a lot :giggle

Karen likes this.
  20. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

No fatalities but 7 people were injured at the campground, mainly broken bones. Scary.... it was at 1:00 A.M.! Had it been on a path of just 2 miles north of what it was, my town would be one of those on the news as being devastated. The way it was it was through farm land and an area with small factories then hitting the eastern edge of the town and some more country area. A lot of barns and out buildings in the country were also damaged as was an old one-room school house. And, it was only an EF-1.