Hi! New to digital scrapping and need help!

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by Kathyjean52, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Kathyjean52

Kathyjean52 New Member

I've paper scrapped for four grand kids for about 10 years. A yearly scrapbook for each child is given to their mamas at Christmas and the mamas are always thrilled and don't want any other gifts. I, on the other hand, am tired of drowning in paper and embellishments. I would love to learn how to digital scrap, but really don't know where to start. I understand that the first item needed is a program. Which program do you prefer? I've done smaller books online (picaboo) for different projects, but a yearly scrapbook for four seems overwhelming. Anyone have suggestions on steps I should take to enter your digital world? Thanks!

2. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

Oh wow ... I wish I would have known of all the wonderful places to get advice. But I jumped in feet first. LOL

Many of us use Photoshop (abbreviated PSCC or CS4/5/6 or just PS) or Photoshop Elements (PSE)
    Which are photography based programs.

But there are also many that use Scrapbook specific software such as Storybook Creator and others.
    I guess it depends on how much you want to spend on your program, the pricing can vary greatly and the ease of use you're looking for. PSCC and PSE probably have the biggest learning curves (I'd say)
    Where as something specific for scrapbooking might be easier to navigate as you get started.

Then you'd need supplies, from our shop here. There are many designers that offer small freebies in their newsletters as you sign up.

With supplies and program in "hand" you are ready to learn. There are so many knowledgeable people here always happy to help. And you can always find/search for tutorials online.

3. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

Welcome to mess-free scrapping! We have a great selection of tutorials here to help out.

4. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

5. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

I started with Photoshop Elements which actually easy to learn. Just like riding a bike, you have to jump in and try. Yes you may fall (layouts you don't love) but the fun part of digital is it is so easy to revise something if you don't like it.

I was a paper scrapper and jumped full feet into digital and have never looked back.

At first you may think it is expensive but remember that you can use your "elements & papers" over and over so the cost is nothing compared to what paper would cost.

Welcome to our digital scrapbook world.

bestcee and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  6. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Welcome to digital scrapping and to TLP! Heather gave you a great link to many wonderful tutorials. Like others have said, I kind of just went for it. I started with Photoshop Elements, which was relatively easy to use.

With four grandkids, pocket style scrapping could maybe help you stay on top of things. If you're interested, here is a link to the Pocket Scrapping gallery (though of course you can use any style you like!): https://the-lilypad.com/forum/galleries/categories/pocket-scrapping.707/

7. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Welcome to digital scrapbooking! It's the best! After several years of digiscrapping I decided to paper scrap some old photos I'd had tucked away in a box and I hated it because I couldn't undo or change colors or easily align things, etc.

I've been keeping scraps of my life since childhood, scrapbooking before it became an industry, and digiscrapping for over a decade. When I discovered digital scrapbooking I briefly tried a collage program and a scrapbook-specific program I don't remember but then got PSE for my birthday and used it until I decided to upgrade to full PS in 2016. And that was only because I thought Lightroom was moving to the Cloud and wanted that. I could be happy still using PSE. Of course, now that I have been using PS I'd be sad to lose some of its features if I moved back to PSE.

Jump right in. Learn by doing. Happy scrapping!

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  8. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Hello and welcome to digi scrapping! I was a paper scrapper for many years, then started "dabbling" in digi, then was drawn more and more to digi now am a full-timer. I've gotten back into hybrid projects a little bit lately and still like paper, but there's no mess with digi scrapping!! I started with PSE and have had PSCC, but mostly use PSE.

9. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

The ladies here have said it so well. WELCOME to the Pad and digital scrapbooking. I also started with Photoshop Elements, but it depends how computer savvy you are. I think Photoshop elements is easy to use my mom would kill me if I make her try to use it.

10. frani_54

frani_54 Well-Known Member

Welcome to TLC - I started out as a paper scrapper to make my step son an album with all of his school plays. In the middle of all that I discovered digital scrapping, I never looked back! I started out with Paint Shop Pro and ended up with Photoshop. There are so many tutorials online on how to use the various functions of your program of choice and you've already been linked to the tutorials here. Like everyone said, if you have any questions at all just post it and the ladies will help you through it.

11. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I started with a desktop publishing package that I already owned and was familiar with. Anything that will let you drag drop, resize and rotate images, and add text will be perfect.

12. wombat146

wombat146 Check out my kilt! And my turret!

Welcome to the world of digiscrapping! I am sure you will never look back and once you get through the learning curve you will be surprised at how quickly you can put together an album, compared to paper scrapping. I have been digi for ten years now and up until Oct/Nov of this year I had been using Photoshop Elements......... it really has everything you want and I only started using Photoshop CC as I wanted to learn more advanced techniques, but honestly, PSE will allow you to open the doors to digi easily as it far easier to learn. As already mentioned, if you need a hand with ANYTHING then just holler, we are a very helpful bunch and there is normally someone online 24/7 to help you! :)

13. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

The advantage of digital scrapbooking for you too is that if you have a Scrapbook page (layout) that features more than one grandkid, it's easy to replicate for multiple ones! Maybe just change the photos, or the journaling.

I started with PSE ( Photoshop Elements) after dabbling with many different programs. I like all the tutorials and how easy it was to find what I needed to do.

I've taught my mom how to use PSE. It's not overly complicated. And here, so many of us are familiar, we can help with questions!

14. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Yes like Courtney said, duplicating a page into multiple books for multiple kids/grankids is easier with digital & u can use 'templates' or the same basic page say for a birthday (which we *have* to scrap every year) & just change out the photo & age & you've made effectively 4 pages in the time it takes to make 1 & a half really.
    Any program will have a learning curve but we're here to help when you decide what works for you. I think you just need a program can handle .PNG files

15. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

16. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I was a paper scrapper for many years and switched over to digi about 7 yrs ago. I started with photoshop elements and then switched to photoshop. Both programs have a lot of tutorials and videos. Try out a free trial but watch some videos first so you have some idea of how to start. It’s a lot of learning at first but then when you get the hang of it, you’ll love it!

17. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

That's so awesome that you make each grand an album! I think you'll love switching to digital, but I am totally biased.

I don't know about you, but I learn by watching. Cheryl @gonewiththewind is a designer and scrapper here and she does events called Watch Cheryl scrap so you could at least watch her create a layout or two with Photoshop and see what that actually looks like. Check out her YouTube videos here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/WatchCherylScrap

and she'll have events through January:
    https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threa...-moc7-sessions-every-monday-in-january.59892/

gonewiththewind likes this.
  18. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Hi @Kathyjean52 !

Welcome to TLP!

@Karen mentioned me in her post above. I do have loads of videos and will be scrapping live each Monday night in January for our Month of Challenges. In addition to that, I am happy to help with any questions you might encounter as you jump into digital scrapbooking. My recommendation is Photoshop Elements. I started with PSE, and it's only been in the last couple of years that I switched to Photoshop Creative Cloud. You can find PSE on Amazon as well as at the Adobe site. Someone else recommended the trial of PSE for 30 days - and I second that! I started with a trial for 30 days and then purchased the program.

It's super easy to duplicate layouts or print multiple copies. I've taken layouts made for one person, and changed out the photo, word art, and journaling, and maybe changed an element or two, and then VOILA! I have a "new" page. Since you have FOUR different albums you'd like to make - digital is definitely going to be helpful in completing those!

Again, welcome, and don't hesitate to reach out again for help! Everyone here is super helpful!

bestcee and Karen like this.