Hi from South Carolina

Discussion in 'The Welcome Pad' started by Christina W, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Christina W

Christina W Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone,

(I'm kinda shy so apologies for lurking around the last few weeks and not introducing myself properly!) I'm Christina and I live in South Carolina with my husband of 17 years and our six cats. I teach plant biology at a local university, and I just started digital scrapbooking a couple months ago. I had learned some Photoshop Elements for editing figures and graphs at work -- but there are so many more techniques that I am still learning! I am even dipping my toe into the water of the full Photoshop CC: last week I learned how to put drop shadows on a separate layer and manipulate them - what a game changer that was [​IMG]!

Most of my scrapping involves pictures of our everyday life, my cats and their antics, local plants, and various trips we've taken over the years.

Thank you to everyone who has already been so helpful and friendly here! I love being inspired by your work and all the positive energy at this site.

2. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Welcome to the best digiscrap place! I visited your state for the first time last November, Greenville to be precise, to see Pentatonix in concert with my daughters. We enjoyed the main street before the concert and wished we could spend more time there but it was a whirlwind trip. We live in Fredericksburg, Virginia and we drove down early the day of the concert, spent the night, and drove home the next day.

I know what you mean about drop shadows on a separate layer!

cfile and Christina W like this.
  3. Christina W

Hi @michelepixels -- so glad you enjoyed your trip to Greenville! It's the closest "big city" to us, about 40 minutes away. We love all the shops and galleries and restaurants on Main Street!

michelepixels likes this.
  4. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

Hi Christina, and welcome to the Lilypad!

Christina W likes this.
  5. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

A big ol' welcome to you. I am so excited you de-lurked!! This really is a grand place to learn and laugh whilst learning (a big plus to me)
    I so recommend you join in on one of the Watch Cheryl scrap chats. on a Tuesday for August: Aug 8 (Tues) @9pm EDT/6pm PDT. You will watch her scrap on CC, and she is so sweet and @bestcee is a great hostess. Listening and ability to say, "stop!" what did you just do to get that effect is a big plus! lol
    again welcome and if you have any questions, we are all here ready to help..and there is a way cool (cough cough I may have put it together) FAQ - notifications, signatures and other fun facts

6. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Welcome to the pad! Looks like Anne has pointed you to all the information. I second her recommendation of attending the Watch Cheryl Scrap sessions. I always learn something new and have lots of fun chatting and giggling.

I'd say to start by getting signed up for all the newsletters, so you don't miss a sale or freebie. Everyone is very helpful, so if you need something just holler! Then, make sure you play along in our forum games. The July Lilypad Look a-likes game is going on now until the end of the month in the scrapping forum. Play along multiple times for more chances to win a $3 gift card to the store.

Can't wait to see all your creations in the gallery.

gonewiththewind and Christina W like this.
  7. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Yes! Watch Cheryl scrap is a great opportunity to say: how did you do that? She {and I } started on PSE, and have moved to pscc. Our lovely @gonewiththewind Cheryl has an amazing gallery you can check out! In fact, scraplifting her is one of the challenge options if you want to check out the monthly challenges.

gonewiththewind and Christina W like this.
  8. Christina W

Thank you so much for the warm welcome and all the suggestions! Now I am excited for the next Watch Cheryl Scrap!
    I will definitely check out her work in the gallery and try a little scraplifting this weekend.

I've watched a few CC videos online, and the artist sometimes goes so fast it makes my head spin! I am just pleased to be able to understand a fraction of the terms: mask, layer, blending mode, etc.
    OK, I am still iffy on that last one :)!

Thanks again!

9. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Hi, Christina! So glad you have you here. You've gotten some great advice already. Everyone here is so helpful and wonderful! @AnneofAlamo also put together a fabulous list of tutorials - Alphabetical Listing of Tutorials. It's a great resource!

I love South Carolina. We visit there fairly often in different spots. My dad owned a company in Gaffney many years ago, and we love the SC beaches. I am in southern WV, so SC is not a bad drive at all.

Hope you'll jump right in and have some fun with us! I will add that the lowest grade I ever made in college was in plant biology :giggle

Christina W likes this.
  10. GwenCreative

GwenCreative Member

Welcome to the Lilypad

Christina W likes this.
  11. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Welcome Christina! @Christina W We are so glad you are here! We have many here that use PS CC & PSE so any questions feel free to ask away! Can't wait to see your pages and yeah the shadows on seperate layers is so awesome.. in PS CC you can manipulate the shadows etc. so much so you will love it.. just wait until you start playing with brushes and masks... you will really be amazed... one step at a time, but you are going to be "Alice" as the Lily Pad is definitely Wonderland!! :)

Christina W likes this.
  12. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

Welcome!! So happy you made your way here!
    Scrapping the everyday is what Im all about too!!
    There are alot of PsElements users here any questions just ask!!

Christina W likes this.
  13. JenEm

JenEm Pollywog

Welcome to The Pad, Christina. So glad to have you here with us. :)

Christina W likes this.
  14. scrappydonna

scrappydonna Blah blah blah

Hello and welcome to TLP!

Christina W likes this.
  15. SirScrapalot

SirScrapalot Tackling my to-do list with gusto

16. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Welcome Christina! I'm in Western North Carolina...probably just a couple hours from you if you only live 40 minutes from Greenville.

Christina W likes this.
  17. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

Welcome Christina!
    I'm glad you went from lurking to joining! :) (we've all been there...)

Christina W likes this.
  18. dawninskip

dawninskip Well-Known Member

Hi Christina, welcome to TLP :stash

Christina W likes this.
  19. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Welcome To TLP!

Christina W likes this.
  20. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Welcome Christina! If you're already jumping into putting your shadows on a separate layer you'll be a pro in no time! :) Glad you found us here and hope you enjoy!

Christina W likes this.