HELP! Silhouette vs. Cricut

Discussion in 'Hybrid Pad' started by Michelle.Thomas, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Michelle.Thomas

Michelle.Thomas New Member

Hello Everyone. I am just now getting back into Scrapbooking with Digital Products, and would also like to still scrap Traditionally and Hybrid. I am curious about which cutting machine is the best to invest in, and I figured the best place to ask would be here. Any pros, cons, recommendations would be appreciated. TTIA!!!

2. sushimommy

sushimommy Could you point me to the helipad?

Hi, Michelle - welcome! I scrap digi and hybrid. I had an older Cricut, but just recently got a Silhouette - LOVE it! Love that I can cut whatever files I want (particularly love print & cut feature for hybrid goodies), but like I said - my Cricut was quite a bit older and I could only cut the files that were on the cartridges. There are quite a few of us that use them here (both machines)

3. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

I have a Silhouette Cameo and I love it. I think they are WAY ahead of Cricut in terms of being friendly for digital and hybrid scrappers. I just got my new Pic Scan mat for Christmas and that makes it even better!

4. JillW

JillW I love lavend ... zzzzzz ...

I have had a Silhouette Cameo for 3 years and love it - I can't compare it to anything else, but can say, with a little bit of studying, the Cameo is easy to use! I watched tons of You Tube videos when I first got it and have made lots of hybrid projects, scrapbooks and cards with it.
    I have The Cinch (bindery tool) by Memory Keepers and I love to cut out different shapes with the Cameo and make little books to give as gifts.

5. Michelle.Thomas

Do you find the blades hold up well on the Cameo? A few reviews mentioned that they needed to be replaced quite a bit. I am thinking that was because of the type of projects they were using it for. I wouldn't be doing anything more than for basic cutting and kids crafts.

6. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

I really haven't found the blades to be an issue. I mostly cut paper and vinyl though.

7. Trista

Trista I'm Working On It

I too have a cameo and have no complaints

8. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

I love my Silhouette Portrait!

9. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

Silhouette Portrait here too. Love it!!

10. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

silhouette every time if it is between the two, cricut is very limited because you are mostly having to use their (quite expensive) cartridges. And the silhouette lets you design if that is what you want to do ,as well as use cutting files available everywhere, not just in their shop. For me the blades were a bit of an issue, but since I have stopped cutting absolutely everything in textured ( what we call French card stock here ) cardboard ,and use plain cardstock more they last longer .
    But before you buy, there is a" Brother scan and cut " on the market now that looks great too...

11. AllisonPennington

AllisonPennington Queen of the Realm

12. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I have a Sizzix eclips that I love. I sold my cricut and bought it. Personally, I had so many issues with cricut and their customer service, I won't go back to them. Especially since Sizzix has awesome customer service, and they are adding Bluetooth to their Eclips 2, hopefully next year.

13. sarahbhb

sarahbhb Happy Anniversary babe! Now, pack up!

I have a Silhouette Portrait and absolutely love it. I've had it for just over a year and use it on a pretty much daily basis. I think I've replaced my blade twice which seems reasonable to me with the amount that I cut. Like Laura I pretty much just cut paper and vinyl.

14. shastahun

shastahun Active Member

LOVE my Silhouette Cameo! You don't have to deal with cartridges like you do with the Cricut.

15. lcpereyra

lcpereyra You won't believe my blue streak!

Silhouette Cameo hands down!!! I have both, and cannot get rid of the Cricut Expression - no one wants it! So it now be my kid's cutting machine as I don't want them messing with my Cameo, lol! Much more versatility with the Cameo vs. the Cricut.

16. Michelle.Thomas

Thanks so much for all the replies! The more I am reading and looking around, the more I think I am going to purchase one. They can do SO much!

17. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

Another vote for the Silhouette! I have a portrait and love it. funny, I do mostly non-scrap related stuff with it though. I've used it to cut paper and fabric and haven't had any problems.

18. Katherine B

Katherine B 2, 4, 6, 8, who do we appreciate?!

I've had the Expression ever since it came out, I liked it well enough even though I was limited to only the cartridges that they offered. I JUST bought the new Silhouette Cameo (two days ago) and am so excited to get it! If you haven't purchased yours yet try JCPenney (online). I got mine there for right at $230 and free shipping (considerably less than every where else I looked). Good luck with your purchase!

19. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

If you don't need one as big as the cameo, I got my portrait one for $99 on Amazon. I LOVE it. I did the cut and print feature from a tutorial on the blog and it was amazing what that machine can do.