Help Reducing Size (Mb) of layout

Discussion in 'Help Pad' started by Smwhite, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Smwhite

Smwhite Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I've just completed a layout for a challenge here at TLP and have tried every way I can think of to get it small enough to post. I've saved my usual 300ppi layout at 72ppi in it's original size w/a file size of 1(low) in PSE14. Then re-sizing it to a 3"x3" size for posting, again at 72ppi same file size and I've not been able to reduce it further than 1.21 MB! I've tried running Fiddle Dee Dee's new Save for Web action, (which I love!) both before and after saving it in the 72 ppi format. My original PSE file is 128MB which is common for many of my layouts. I've never had this problem before... any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

2. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

I reduce mine by 17% or do 600x600 pixels -- I think we can do up to 800 x 800. I haven't had any problems, but I haven't paid attention to MB size before.

3. Smwhite

Smwhite Well-Known Member

Thanks Carilyne! I've never had this issue... the issue was uploading it to the gallery. They have a much lower MB limit.

I finally solved it by pasting the layout into a MS Word document and saving it as a PDF. I opened the PDF w/PSE and was able to take the much lower sized pic (now in KB's), re-size it, sharpen it and it was small enough for the gallery.
    I don't know why it wouldn't resize to a smaller file size, I have had PSE Files that were larger and they re-sized easily! :dizzy

4. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

@Smwhite

After you run my Save For Web Action in PSE, go to FILE > SAVE FOR WEB (shortcut is Alt+Shift+Ctrl+S). The action sizes to 600x600 @ 72 dpi.

A dialog box will pop up. At the far upper right of the box, you'll see an icon that is a downward arrow with three lines next to it. CLICK on it. You will get a fly out that says OPTIMIZE TO FILE SIZE - CLICK on it. You will get another dialog box, where you can enter in your desired file size. I usually choose 250 K and then press OK.

Your layout is already sized 600x600 because of the action. Now you can CLICK SAVE.

Would you go through those steps and let me know if that works for you? Just tag me (use the @ and my user name). Hope this helps!

bellbird likes this.
  5. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

that's a lot of work arounds! sorry i dont know PSE (does Alt Shift Ctrl S give you a save for web window like in PS?? There's an 'optimize to file size' option in the drop down menu within that that i use to keep mine around 200K) Thanks for trying to be mindful of the gallery size limit too @Smwhite .

Any ideas PSE14 Pollys? @keepscrappin @bestcee @wombat146

bestcee and gonewiththewind like this.
  6. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

you rock!

gonewiththewind likes this.
  7. gonewiththewind

@bellbird I just posted with instructions. LOL We must have been posting at the same time!

8. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

jinx! LOL

9. gonewiththewind

@bellbird Do I have to give you a Coke now? Hee hee

10. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

nah your off the hook
    hope between us we helped out Sue anyway
    :carryon

11. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

The only time I've ended up with larger sizes, I create a stamp layer at the top of my layout (ctrl+shift+alt+e). Then move it to a new document, and save it. It's rare that I've had a problem, and usually just restarting PSE will fix it.

bellbird likes this.
  12. wombat146

wombat146 Check out my kilt! And my turret!

I use an action to resize my layouts for the web and then use the Save For Web option in the File menu. :)

bellbird likes this.
  13. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

it is a .jpg you are trying to save as?