Help needed on printing screen shots!

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by KimGeling, Mar 30, 2019.

1. KimGeling

KimGeling Active Member

I'm hoping someone with experience can answer this question for me. I like to use screen shots from Facebook and Instagram for my PL layouts but I've never printed my pages as yet. Do you use screen shots from your phone and your computer in your layouts and if so do they need to be resized to get a better resolution? I saw a Cathy Zielske video about this but her process confused me. I don't want to send off books for printing and have them come back as a pixelated mess.

2. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I have used some screen shots from Instagram on a page. Just keep the pictures small, i.e. as small as they were on the phone, and you will probably be okay. You can never improve the resolution and have it look good. Whatever it was when you took it is what you will get. However, you can improve the look of the photo by making it smaller in display size.

You could always bring your photos onto a page, size them as desired, and then zoom into the 100% view. If they look fuzzy, try making them smaller in size and then check the 100% again. Remember digital is just a bunch of dots, the more you have in an area the better it looks. Spreading a few dots over a large area is what makes it pixelated.

KimGeling likes this.
  3. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Here is a page I did. I probably made the Instagram photo a bit too big as it is rather fuzzy.
    [​IMG]

KimGeling likes this.
  4. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I have too - from IG. I concur with Bev. Maybe keep the pics small? Here's a recent one I did with an Instagram screenshot:

[​IMG]

KimGeling likes this.
  5. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I use screen shots a lot! That's where I get lots of my pictures. I do the screen shot, then crop it and edit it in my phone, then send it to my laptop, via One Drive. I haven't had any problems with using them.

KimGeling likes this.
  6. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Sorry but you will seldom get a really nice sharp photo. Actual size that is uploaded to instagram and in some cases Facebook is very small And as far as I know the uploaded files are automaticalLy Compressed anyway ,they come about the size of a postage stamp in real life.
    Ask the person you lifted the photo from to send you the original. In many cases even if it was taken on a phone , you have double if not treble the pixels to play with. If in doubt and you have a home printer try printing just the photo, choose an actual size setting, then you will know.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    KimGeling likes this.
  7. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Keep pics small.

KimGeling likes this.
  8. KimGeling

KimGeling Active Member

Thanks ladies. I usually keep them to about 4x3 so I'll just keep doing what I've been doing and hope for the best.

BevG likes this.
  9. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I use a ton of screenshots on my monthly misc pages. I try to keep them to 3x4 sized and I've never had them print pixelated. I mostly use them to capture weather stuff like on this page:

[​IMG]

KimGeling and bestcee like this.
  10. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I use screenshots all the time that are from my phone, not Facebook or Instagram. For PL, I've used Facebook in 2*3 spots and they've been okay. My general rule of thumb is not to enlarge it when I put it on the page.

I recommend printing a page and see if you like it before you go for the book. It's a great way to check font sizes too!

KimGeling likes this.
  11. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

You know in FB you have the option to download images. Here is what you'll see if you check the bottom right corner of an image. Download is under options and you'll get a jpg with an alphabet soup of a name. hth!

Screen Shot 2019-04-03 at 9.39.52 AM.png

KimGeling and HavaDrPepper like this.
  12. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I download pics of my cousin's grandkids all the time then scrap them. They love that I do it for them. They have printed fine on layouts because I don't use them as full page photos. I have even done a "print screen" on the computer then cropped and scrapped that. Those have also been fine in printing.

KimGeling likes this.
  13. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I'm getting ready to post my layout for the April Template Challenge. Both of the pictures on there were from Instagram. I use IG pictures all the time and I agree, they print out just fine.

@KimGeling here's a layout I just posted. Both pics are from IG. Like I said, I use screenshots a lot. Sometimes I do have to edit them a bit, however. They tend to be a little too dark, quite often.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    KimGeling likes this.