Help - My Layouts are Supersized

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by pagefrocks, Jun 15, 2019.

1. pagefrocks

pagefrocks ♥•:*¨¨*:•♥•:*¨¨*:•.♥

I don't know the technical terms for what I'm trying to say . . . so bear with me. But all of a sudden all my layouts are triple the size they used to be. When I choose Save As, name the doc and clicks Save, then PS kicks up another box that asks me about size . . . HERE - where my layouts usually land (after my resize action) at 300 or less, they are now in the 875-950 range!

This happened once before and Jaimee helped me figure it out . . . but I can't remember anymore! I think it has something to do with the color settings? I don't know what they should be, so I don't know if that is off. It happens even if I try to save a single piece of paper that I haven't even edited . . . so it's on my end for sure.

Anyone?

2. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Are you using an action? Maybe try one that we have in the shop - they are free?

when saving, I save my one version for Albums, and then run the Export for Web in PS. I usually have to give it the size parameter, but then the file size gets smaller too! Are you leaving them in the 12x12 size?

3. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Sometimes the metadata (I think it's "ancestors") can make a LO's file size super large. Basically, when a designer creates a product, all of their steps are saved in the metadata; on a big LO, you might have the "ancestors" of every.single.item. on your page, including your papers and elements and the template (if you used one). I was looking into file size when I was trying to upload to artscow. If you Google "photoshop ancestor," there is an adobe forum post with a script that can help lower your file size by removing this ancestor data. As I didn't need to do that, I can't give you my experience, but perhaps that'll help you. You mention how even a single, unedited, paper has a large file size: does that paper have a larger-than-usual file size? Because that may prove the issue is related to metadata.

It could also be related to History Log. (Edit>Preferences>History Log. Toggle it OFF.) Hopefully you get this sorted out!

ForeverJoy likes this.
  4. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

@justjaimee Are you the one who helped Lori with this problem before.

@pagefrocks Lori, I did a search on the forum and am sorry to say that I could not find another thread to do with the problem you are having.

5. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

ForeverJoy likes this.
  6. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

sorry i haven't got anything to add to the above but that ancestors thing was interesting to read about

ForeverJoy likes this.
  7. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Reading other people's suggestions jogged my brain... I remember reading another thread about this in the past and I think someone suggested something like saving the fullsized .jpg and then open a new, blank 12x12 @ 300dpi and then drag the flattened .jpg in there and resave it that way? Something like that? This was for a case where the super sized layouts weren't always happening, just once in awhile and maybe it's something to do with the ancestor metadate? Maybe give that a shot? I wonder if I can find that old thread... Hmmm....

jk703 likes this.
  8. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I can't believe I found it! It was inside a totally unrelated thread. Check out this post from Courtney @bestcee :

https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/moc-q-a-post-your-questions-here.51461/page-6#post-949787

@pagefrocks

Here's the text from that post here too:

"When I have a file that's behaving badly, and it happens occasionally, then I stamp a new layer at the top (ctrl+shift+alt+E) above all other layers. I pull that layer into a new document and save that one for the web. I don't know what causes the hiccups every now and then, but I've had it happen to."

bestcee likes this.
  9. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

I've never heard of that. Are you flattening your layers before making the jpg?