HELP!!! Corrupted CR2 files

Discussion in 'Photography Pad' started by aballen, Mar 25, 2015.

1. aballen

aballen Don't make me break out the milk

I'm so upset and sad that so many of my Cr2 photo files are corrupted. :overreact :overreact I have no idea what is causing this problem. I know they were fine when I first uploaded them to my EHD and even my backup EHD. I added them to my LightRoom library and that's when I noticed the problem.

Anybody knows what to do? Thanks for your help!!!!

2. PLM

PLM I know there's something in the wake of your smile

Hhhm, I'm sorry, I don't even know what CR2 files are.
    Perhaps someone else can help you?

3. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

I believe CR2 is Canon's RAW format.
    What were you opening or viewing them in to know they were fine before they went into Lightroom? I don't have a Canon, but I have gotten corrupted DNGs off my phone, and as far as I know, they were corrupted the whole time. I can see the files are there but nothing will open them. It's a phone so I just wiped it clean and started over with fresh OS and apps, and I stopped getting corrupted DNGs.

4. aballen

aballen Don't make me break out the milk

I use lightroom 4. But I was able to preview them on Windows gallery. They are not recent files (a few months old), but I always check them after importing them from the SD card to the EHD and they were fine. I even did some editing on some of the pictures back then and now that I went back to work on some of them I found they were corrupted, not all of them but quite a few are.

I was told it was probably the SD card's fault, but right now what I want to know is if there is a way to repair those files.

Thanks for your help ladies!!!!

5. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

I don't think there is, unfortunately. I'm not sure how it could be the SD card's fault if they were fine when they came off the card. It sounds more likely the EHD is the problem. If you run an automated backup (e.g. CrashPlan or BackBlaze) you could restore the files from a previous backup, from a couple months ago when they were fine. Otherwise I doubt there is anything you can do. :(