HD vs SSD

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by littlekiwi, Jun 16, 2021.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

It is, I don’t think I’ll know what to do with how speedy my machine will be…..I’ve never had 16gb of RAM ever (it’s the max my laptop can have). Might mean my days of waiting for my laptop to respond to opening word documents and Internet browsers among other things might be a distant memory now. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve had multiple versions of files and folders open because the original was crashing or super slow - it was just my ‘normal’ so I didn’t think much of it til my friend said those are warning signs that all is not 100% with my laptop.

Karen likes this.
  2. littlekiwi

Well my worst fears were potentially realised today.....while my laptop is currently still alive, there is no guarantee that the next time I start it up it won't be terminal. Back in July when my hard drive failed, I was given an option to get a refurbished hard drive which I said yes to mainly to save money. It had a 3 month warranty and today it looks like it could be giving up on me. Today I spent over an hour doing disk repair and so far its fine but for how long I have no idea. Right now this laptop feels like a money pit - it is oldish being nearly 5 years old.....in the last year I've added 8gb of RAM, a refurbished 1TB HDD, I need to get a new power supply and now another new HDD. Luckily I have totally up to date back up on Backblaze which previously wasn't always the case.

3. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

Ugh ... might be time to bite the bullet and look at getting a new laptop.

4. littlekiwi

if I could afford one I would but it’s not in the budget for god knows how long. Basically need a job to afford a new one and I’m trying on that front.

5. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

Oh, no! You're stuck between a rock and a hard place, aren't you? You're probably spending more trying to keep this laptop working than you would on a new one, but at least with your current computer the expenses are spread out. I hope it doesn't die on you and you're able to figure something out!

6. littlekiwi

unfortunately I'm not so much spending more than a new laptop @rach3975, its just deciding when to stop investing. I had extended warranty for three years but this all started to happen 4 years and a few weeks later. So far I've spent about $350 on RAM, refurbished hard drive and install of both. To replace the power supply that I broke (luckily still going at the moment) is $80 and to replace and install a new 1TB hard drive is about $180. A new decent laptop down here that is going to last is between $1500-2000

rach3975 likes this.