Have you ever bought a phone FOR the camera?

Discussion in 'Photography Pad' started by lorryfach, Mar 13, 2014.

1. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

Most of the apps I've paid for are actually for the girls, and they have an iPad and an iPhone Touch on the same iTunes account, and could inherit my phone (unless DH wants it) so I'm ok with that aspect. I won't be buying from a carrier (that all works way different here than in the States) but I wonder if there's anywhere that has a window like that. I hadn't thought of that but it would be awesome to be able to test drive!

2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Do you have amazon? (Sorry, I'm fairly uneducated when it comes to buying online outside the US/Canada). We actually bought our last phones from amazon instead of the carrier. I know when I looked into it, we could return them through amazon. I don't know if you would have the same policy.

3. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

just saw your post now. I have the smaller version of the Nokia Windows phone. The camera is good,and the touchpad nicer to use than the iPhone. And you still get a lot of apps.

4. lorryfach

There's no Danish Amazon. I can order from the UK or Germany one, but I suspect I won't be able to find a phone that ships here. They claim to ship most kinds of products as long as they are "fulfilled by Amazon" and not random sellers, but I am always running into things that they won't ship. I tried to order a bird house once, and it said they couldn't ship it to my address and offered a link to learn why. The link helpfully explained that items over a certain size (which the bird house was no where close to) and items containing hazardous materials couldn't be shipped outside the country. I dunno, maybe I'm crazy for thinking a bird house doesn't have plutonium in it or something! So I only really order from Amazon if I have to.

5. staciahall

staciahall Quidditch, anyone?

Lorry, my son switched from an iPhone 4s to that very same Windows phone and loves it! His photos are very nice, I scrap them all the time. I think that the colors in his photos are more true to life than mine are.

6. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I totally bought my Samsung Galaxy S4 because of the camera. It is so easy to take gorgeous photos with, and people react differently when you aim a phone at them on silent so they can't hear the click to a big DSLR.

7. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

I bought my Samsung Galaxy S4 mostly for the camera, though I knew I'd use it for a lot of other things, too. I use my mirrorless camera when I want great photos or need to capture action and my phone for everything else (which is probably 2/3 of my photo taking). I might be in the minority in that if I could only have 1 I'd go with my big camera, but I could have replaced my P&S with a great phone camera.

8. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I like my phone camera because it doesn't worry me when my three year old picks it up to take photos. I get a little nervous when he grabs my dslr.

9. Ellie

Ellie Little Bunny Cupcake

I got a Samsung Note 3 for the camera. As my DSLR was stolen last year :( & I can't afford to replace it yet.
    I love my phone camera it's really good. Of course the best shots I take with it are outside.

10. lorryfach

This is why I haven't already bought a dSLR. My 3-year-old has actually never been a problem, but the 5-year-old *was* at three. She destroyed an iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad, and two P&S cameras. And she was a climber. There was no safe place. So I didn't want to even have one until I was absolutely positively SURE that phase was over. I suspect she is the reason for the permanent bokeh on my current P&S but she actually makes an effort to take care of things now. I'll probably give her the P&S. The 3-year-old has gotten more interested in the Kidizoom camera so we'll do a little trading down the line.

My phone is ordered and should be here this week! Hopefully I'll have something for the photo challenge soon :)

11. lorryfach

I love this phone! :) I asked my daughter to model so I could take a similar picture with both the point and shoot and my new Nokia. It's a typical poorly-lit living room situation. I used auto on both. The colors from the Nokia are truer-to-life and it's not as noisy when I zoom in. (It *is* noisy at 100% but with that many megapixels, I'm never going to use 100%.)
    [​IMG]

12. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Oh Wow Lorry! It looks great! I'm so glad that you like the phone and looks like you totally made the right choice! How do you like the rest of the phone?

13. lorryfach

I really, really like it. I didn't expect to like it this much, tbh. I've used iPhones since they were first released in Denmark and I thought it would be weird to use something else, but it's actually really slick. I love the live tiles, so I can see what's coming up on my calendar, what the weather's like, etc. without even opening the apps. I thought it might feel weird to hold because of the lens sticking out of the back, but it hasn't bothered me at all. So I'm very, very happy! It was officially my birthday present from DH and I think I've thanked him every day since I got it. :giggle

14. AllisonPennington

AllisonPennington Queen of the Realm

Bam. I happen to have said phone, in yellow...

[​IMG]

My 1020 is virtually silent, 41 mp and all. It's not remotely noisy or bulky, etc and it kicks the %$&^ out of any p&s I have ever had. It takes AMAZING indoor crappy lighting pics and outdoor/good light pics are completely stunning.

It's insane. The camera is amazing. The Nokia SmartCam and other pic apps are amazing and PicsArt works with Windows phones and I love it. As soon as I switched to a different browser I had no more complaints.

15. AllisonPennington

Saw that you nabbed it - nice. Brett had to trade his in after a day because there's no Square support for WP. But I refused to send mine back. Who needs matchin' phones. And it's so pretty....

Mine is nearly silent even completely zoomed.... hmmmm

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  16. lorryfach

I get giddy every time I take it out of my pocket. Yellow is so happy. :D I'ma have to look up this PicsArt.

17. AllisonPennington

You'll love it!! It's on Android, too... Its got some great features. I've been having way too much fun with the smart cam & cinematographer apps.

18. 3littleks

3littleks Pass the gold and the glitter, please!

I got my HTC 1x for the camera reviews. I wish I hadn't. The camera is great but the phone sucks. I have had to replace it 3 times. Now I'm on #4 since the 3rd replacement broke and I had to use my hubs old one with a cracked screen. I will never buy one of these again. blah. lol

19. purlz76

purlz76 Ags

My current 2yo Samsung S2 is the ideal replacement for my Fujifilm p&s camera. So if & when I do upgrade, I want a similar camera "capacity" phone. So Yup, I will buy the phone just for the camera.

Lori, those pics are awesome! Too bad Nokia's OS is a Windows. I'm still getting used to the Windows 8 on my office laptop, so I shall wait it out.

20. purlz76

purlz76 Ags

But again, my phone camera is unable to take good macro shots. :(