Have you ever bought a phone FOR the camera?

Discussion in 'Photography Pad' started by lorryfach, Mar 13, 2014.

1. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

I have a dying iPhone 4 and an aging P&S with a scratched-up lens (ahem, I mean "permanent bokeh"). As much as I would love to move up to a dSLR, that would mean not being able to afford a new phone, and I'm :hissy thiiiiiis :hissy close to throwing this phone out the window. Am I crazy for thinking of replacing both with a phone? I'm looking at this fancy 41-megapixel Nokia and I'm pretty sure it kicks my current camera's backside in every respect. I don't really do apps on my phone other than texting and email so I don't even think I care that it's a Windows phone. Plus this sucker comes in yellow. :flirty Seriously, tell me if I'm forgetting something major and I'm going to kick myself if I do this.

2. VickyD

VickyD Coffee - I need an IV for that!!

I have a DLSR and only use it on big days out and special occasions, so many of my scrap pages are done with phone photos, I had an iPhone 4 and now have the 5c so I'm imagining that Nokia is awesome for photos!

3. Angie4b1g

Angie4b1g A hundred jobs but Bob Villa ain't one

No, but I probably pick my dSLR up 3x a year since I got my iPhone 4s. Can't wait til the 6 comes out! :giggle

4. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I had an iPhone 4 and that camera was horrible. I now have the iPhone 5 and that camera really takes fabulous pictures. Indoors it's a little limited based on lighting, but outdoors it really is amazing! I do still take my DSLR whenever I can, but I have finally gotten over the fear of using my phone pictures for scrap pages.

5. mollyc

mollyc PrettyPinkPicturesPlease

i did want an iphone originally because I didn't have a p&s at all, only dSLRs, but I don't mind carrying one when I need to.

However, I will caution you that a 41mp sensor in a camera phone is likely to be *really* noisy and I would recommend getting something a bit lower resolution. MP and sensor size are related and you get higher quality photos from a larger sensor, even if the MP are the same.

I haven't actually looked at the Nokia phone...I think for the most part that any given phone camera is likely about on par with an average p&s....so I do think you are okay in that regard. :) (I still don't have a p&s and am quite happy with my iPhone photos, knowing that they are iPhone photos.) But if you are interested in the camera portion of the phone then I would make sure to see if you can find plenty of image samples from whatever phones you are considering.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  6. MissKim

MissKim ichthyophobic

I actually researched phones with the best camera when I upgraded last week. If I had AT&T, I would have gotten the Nokia you're looking at. It's a great camera and from the reviews, it's a good phone, too. I sort of like the fact it's a Windows phone.

Unfortunately, we're Verizon and the new Nokia released for Verizon does not have the same specs as the AT&T version and the reviews are not as good. I ended up going with the iPhone 5s because I didn't want to sacrifice some of the photography apps I love. I'm impressed with the quality of the camera on the 5s.

But yes, I totally bought the phone based on the camera. I take so many photos with my phone that I wanted the best quality I could get.

7. toriloowho

toriloowho Yep… I'm an over thinker.

I upgraded from the iPhone 4 to the iPhone 5 solely because of the camera. My 4 was fine (my DH is still using it), but I wanted the better camera. I do agree with Molly, though… just because it has 41mp doesn't mean it's a better camera. Plus, think about it… are you really going to NEED a 41mp image? How big are you planning on printing your images? This is one of those situations where more doesn't always mean better.

8. lorryfach

I have been happy with the 12 megapixels in my P&S, so I'm sure I *don't* need all 41, but I watched videos of people using the camera and it's soooo easy to change the ISO and shutter and all that. On my P&S, if I'm in shutter- or aperture-priority, or if go between indoors and out and need to change the white balance, it's like a 10-step process. So annoying. I don't think the iPhone even lets you change ISO at all. What really got me excited was not the huge MP count, but the reviews of taking pics with it in low light. Our flat has pretty much the worst lighting ever, so I neeeeeeeever take pics with my iPhone in here. There's just no point. At least with my P&S I've been able to get things I can fix in Lightroom afterwards, but there is no saving an iPhone 4 pic. :/

9. talktoheather

talktoheather The 102nd Dalmatian.

Yup. This is how I always justify my phone upgrades. :D

10. Peppermint

Peppermint One Little Bird

I've heard good things about that Nokia. And the 41mp isn't meant for enlargements so much as its meant to mitigate the need for zoom. So their intent is to give you enough MP to be able to crop images later. But I played with one a bit at the Consumer Electronics Show this year and it was pretty nice.

11. Jen

Jen I believe in patterns & conspiracies!

Went from the iPhone 4S to the 5S simply for the camera upgrade. It's just so handy to have a phone that takes amazing pics, especially when I don't feel like carrying my big DSLR.

12. mollyc

No camera with a small sensor will perform well in low light. Even crop frame dslrs have issues in low light.

There are some iPhone apps that will give you more shooting options than the base camera app. Camera+ is a good one. But I don't know anything about the android phones.

13. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I actually went with my Samsung 3 because of the camera. I was debating between a few different phones, and the Samsung had the better camera at the time. I haven't checked out the market lately. I like having it better than a P&S. I use my DSLR when at home for the most part, and my phone when out, usually P52 stuff. When I was looking, I googled for phone photo comparisons, and then just looked at the photos, I didn't worry about the (sometimes biased, sometimes sponsored) opinions.

Android lets you modify a lot of the settings without the need for an additional app, at least in my experience. I don't know about the windows camera.

14. mollyc

I fully admit to being highly biased in favor of Apple products. ;)

15. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Lorry....if you do end up getting it, give us a review ok? I'd be interested in hearing how well it performs. I'm looking at getting an iphone at the end of the summer when I can trade in my nexus which takes really crappy photos. But I want to look at all the phones to see how the cameras perform on them before making my choice.

16. lorryfach

Will do, Rae! :)
    I used to work at Apple, so I run a very real risk of losing people on my FB friends list if I get a Windows phone :giggle but it's still a serious contender. Courtney, that's smart. I saw a comparison review on the iPhone 5 and the Nokia and some of the things where they said the iPhone was better, I was like, are we looking at the same pictures?! That said, I think the iPhone 5 pics still looked quite nice. Decisions, decisions.

17. Angie4b1g

Angie4b1g A hundred jobs but Bob Villa ain't one

You'd have to pry my Apple products out of my cold, dead hands, and this is after I was anti-Apple for years.

I'm just hoping my 4s holds on until fall for the new one. I'm sick of being on the 'off' year (3s, 4s, etc) so I'm trying to milk an extra year out of this one. I broke it just at the tail end of the 2 years of Applecare and they replaced it, so really it's not that old. Here's hoping. LOL

18. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Yep. That's why I recommend not looking at the commentary. Both sides are biased. Lol. When I was looking I believe it was the iPhone 4, which my mom has. And no offense intended, but my photos turn out better consistently over hers. But over half the reviews said the iPhone took the better photos.

I am not anti apple, but I prefer android. Mostly because I'm a tech geek, and love the option to root my phone, and play around. I haven't rooted this one, but I did my last Samsung.

19. Ink and Pixels

Ink and Pixels Active Member

The best camera is the one you have with you when you need it! So the Nokia sounds like - for now anyway - might be a good compromise for both things that you currently need. I realized so far this year I have hardly taken any photos with my DSLR or Point & shoot - they've all been iPhone pics. All my PL pages use phone pics. Good luck!

20. lauracw

lauracw Gets a funky high on yellow sun

I'm not sure about your phone carrier, but last year we bought a phone for my daughter (long story) and super hated it and we had a three day window to take it back and exchange it for something else. If your carrier has that option, you could play around with the Nokia for a few days and see if you like it better than iPhone.

Now that I've invested in 3 years worth of apps, you'd have to show me something seriously amazing in another OS to get me to switch, LOL!! I couldn't wait to switch from android, but I never tried a windows phone.