Happy Places | Pad Patter 4.22.17

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, Apr 22, 2017.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Ready to play finish the sentence?
    " My happy place is..."

I'd usually say Disneyland or a library or the bay, but today it was in a local rainforest - i love filtered light and looking up through the canopy -and the cooler temperatures!

bbymks5 and LynnG like this.
  2. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

that sounds pretty exciting and a fun place to take a camera! i'm always impressed with all the different landscapes I see in your layouts and places you travel. do you have to go far to see some of these things ...like the rainforest?

i love the beach, or getting outside and exploring someplace new and exciting, the AT trail, etc ... but lately one of my happy places is definitely my own backyard in summer. when everything is in full bloom, the sun is shining, a cool drink, a good book, the kids and dogs splashing in the pool, the view of the valley, and the bees and birds buzzing around the flowers. i'm just so relaxed and at peace. i can not wait to feel that again ... soon! :)

AJK likes this.
  3. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Disneyland. There's something about that place that just makes me inexplicably happy! Maybe it is all the memories from my childhood, or that you can escape life's realities when you're there. But I simply adore the place and can't get enough of it.

But I'm having to wean myself off Disney due to the price, so we're spending a whole lot more time in the National Parks. My faves are the California Redwoods and Sequoia National Park.

tkradtke and LynnG like this.
  4. jagruti patel

jagruti patel Me love cookies! Yum! Yum!

Vacation! Any family time vacation. But I would also have to say disney and sanibel!

LynnG and bellbird like this.
  5. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Outside, tramping through the woods, or walking on the beach, etc. -- with my camera in-hand, trying to capture the beauty of nature.

6. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

It used to be a beach but I've had so many spots of skin frozen off that it no longer excites me to slather sunblock everywhere over and over.

Now my favorite place is in one of our comfy chairs in the kitchen with a good book. We have 1 rocker, and one Ikea Poang which bounces a bit and then a real recliner. I can usually be found in one of them! Cup of tea, mug of coffee or ice water at my side...perfect!

LynnG likes this.
  7. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Hiking /camping[​IMG] in the mountains, anywhere with the Grands:circles:circles, my favorite local park:swingin, cooking/eating ethnic foods upload_2017-4-22_19-41-25.jpeg , and Hobby Lobby. :woot

LynnG likes this.
  8. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

thanks! (only took the point and shoot yesterday in the interest of travelling light with one back pack (mostly water bottles that are heavy to start with) so not sure how good my pics are, there was a few times i was just annoyed and had to drop the f-stops manually on the point and shoot and re-take but anyway - it was about a 30-odd minute drive away, our area is beach on the east and mountains the west, within an hour roundtrip; those features really helped me navigate when i moved here after highschool cos i'm not geographically minded. Hope summer kicks in for you soon!

jenn mccabe and LynnG like this.
  9. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i understand all of this completely - $$$! what i've seen of Sequoia is beautiful - a very humbling, awe-inspiring and peaceful experience - i thought of you yesterday, not sure it was from a Sequoia story but the ascent got pretty steep and i'm always about 20steps behind with the camera anyway but it became a lot more than that and my legs are feeling it today!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  10. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Oh yep i can totally say 'my happy place is anywhere i'm on vacation' too!

11. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i know what you mean! it's so different from portrait photography and i'm always in the 'trying' camp too- i usually look at the back of my camera and go 'that's not even half as good as what i see' (i do wish i could figure out the aperture and speed my eye/brain is working at at those moments!), i do wonder how often the photos in travel magazines benefit from cropping and re-touching like in portraiture... i really like @LynnG 's travel photos because they look 'real' to me - i know there's power lines everywhere you know, they're part of the story; there's stuff washed up on beaches and sticks and stuff in the water, it's part of the story...

jenn mccabe and LynnG like this.
  12. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

She does take the most beautiful pictures of ordinary things. Just saw some she took this weekend. Hope to see them on a page soon - hint hint.

LynnG and bellbird like this.
  13. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

LOL national parks cost me far less than craft stores but yeah they are happy-making as well!

14. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

that's just life here, it's like putting on a seatbelt when u get in the car, you just do it. ikea is one of my happy places too!

15. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

At my age, retired, kids grown and gone, my happy place is right here in my little apartment. I found the perfect place, been here 3 years and love it! Oh, my life is busy and I am involved a lot, but the perfect moment is when I come home, close the door behind me, hug my dog and my cat and snuggle down in my favorite chair with a hot cup of tea. Ahhhhhh, yes, my happy place!!!!

bestcee and LynnG like this.
  16. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I hear you with the hiking - and the photo taking. I'm a sloth in a family of mountain goats! Here's my favorite photo taken in Sequoia National Park back in 2011. If you look closely you can see my nephews walking the trail at the foot of the trees called The House, after one of our national governing bodies. The Senate is just up the trail.

[​IMG]

Sokee likes this.
  17. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

me too but it's funny cos i'm always the one that says we're going and is all motivated and pulling devices out of peoples hands to get them outta the house. That is a spectacular shot! Love that your have your nephews in highlighting the scale too!

18. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

Mine is relaxing at our cabin, with the trees and lake nearby, sitting on the deck and listening to the birds and the water lapping on the rocks (at least I will be once the weather finally warms up).
    Alternatively, I'll take a spot anywhere along a rocky ocean shore, preferably with some good hiking trails nearby.

QuiltyMom, AJK and LynnG like this.
  19. LynnG

LynnG Designer

Might be a little too controversial those ones LOL! That was with my photo-journalist hat on :backing

BevG likes this.
  20. LynnG

LynnG Designer

WOW!DD would love that. She was begging us last time we were in Northern California but we didn't manage it ..

QuiltyMom likes this.