Gut punched...

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Pachimac, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

It was an update of the OS. I bought a new iMac in 2015 and I hadn't updated the OS since then because I had read it didn't play well with Creative Cloud 2018, which was the Photoshop and Bridge that I use, (security updates, obviously though). I finally decided to upgrade to the latest OS and I read through all the documentation first (or so I thought...)

Apparently, sometimes the OS update moves the existing photo library into a file called "Repositioned Files) and the library would go there. You simply have to drag it out and put it back in the system folder. Well...two things: This OS is older, so this particular issue wasn't front of mind on the discussion boards because it was a known issue. Secondly, I had de-activated Time Machine when my daughter loaded Boot Camp and Windows onto it and forgot to turn it back on. SOOO, the two fixes if the library wasn't in the file folder couldn't work for me because Time Machine was switched off, and my backup of photos only went until 2019. When Covid came, I got lazy and didn't back them up to the hard drive.

The issue that makes me mad is that it only happened to MY ACCOUNT. The admin account. My husband, my daughter's, the guest's, and the backup's photo libraries are still there. Mine was the only one that disappeared. Feels a bit personal.

I'm still upset about it, but I can't do anything about it. Our vacation pictures were on there and I had already deleted them from the Rebel. They're gone, as are the pictures from my MIL's funeral and Celebration of life.

I'm looking at the monthly challenges and thinking "Well, that would have been a good photo for that..."

2. Pachimac

Thanks. I'm resigning myself to it...but then another photo lost comes to mind...UGH

3. Pachimac

Thanks, hun.

No. Apparently, the update overwrites the photo file. For some reason it didn't kick out my old one before it overwrote it.

These were all of my photos from both cameras and my phone that I keep as a single library on my computer. The SD card is actually a pretty good idea. I also just need to keep all my photos on my phone as a. backup.

yeah. OUCH!

Thank you.

Thank you. I'm a little more resigned to it today. It ruined my mood and day yesterday too.

I had a hard drive crash way back in 2007 so I have a span of 2007-2010 that I lost too. We tried to get the info off the hard drive but they said we had to send it in and we just never did. I am more motivated to try again to get those back. Those are my daughter's baby years. She was 4-6 years old. All the really cute photos!!!!

unfortunately, no. The OS update overwrites the files.

unfortunately, no. The OS update overwrites the files.

Thank you!

I know, right?? Or that sick feeling when you say, "Oh THAT picture was in there!!!!!"

Thank you.

Actually, I was so upset I couldn't even cry. Still haven't.

Thanks, hun.

Thank you.

My daughter does, but she always puts those silly filters and stickers all over her photos. Hopefully I can find at least a few she didn't!

Karen and KimJ like this.
  4. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I can definitely relate. I lost so many good photos...our Alaska trip (over 1000 photos gone and only have about 30 now), about 3 yrs of birthdays and events...ugh. Sending you a hug b/c I know your pain.

5. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I'm glad you have part of your 2020 done so you have something! I would be gut punched too!

It's a long shot, but have you filled the SD card again? I accidently reformatted my card when I thought it was backed up. It wasn't. But, I was able to run a program that did recover my photos. Interestingly, because of the way the camera writes on the SD card, there were older photos, not just the most recent. I was able to recover the photos.

6. Pachimac

that’s a great idea!

7. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I had a thought about this last night... do you have any kind of auto backup for your phone photos? Like I have Google photos on my phone so they back up to there and also Amazon Prime members can auto backup to Amazon too. AND maybe some of your photos would still be out on icloud for the next 30 days? It's worth checking those places and maybe finding some of them backed up somewhere? This is assuming of course that the photos you lost were from your phone and not a regular camera...