Groceries|Pad Patter 8.13

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Aug 13, 2018.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Grocery shopping is one of those necessary chores, although sometimes it feels evil! :eg9
    So, I was thinking, are you a grocery planner complete with a list? Or a fly by the seat of your pants, throwing whatever looks good or is on sale in the cart? Or, do you have one of those online grocery options where you order online, and then pickup or it's delivered?

Me? I actually enjoy grocery shopping. So, I take my loose list of what we need for sure, and then check to see what's on sale and go from there for food planning.

honeyandcheese and jesskab like this.
  2. meggersjm

meggersjm bunny ears, bunny ears, playing by a tree

I don't like the actual shopping part for a variety of reasons (20 min drive, overly helpful children, can't find things, etc).
    So normally I make a list of the meals that I am thinking of making, then make a shopping list, then sort it by what I can get at what store. Then for Aldi, I re-write the list in the order that things are found at the store. Although I am still not used to the re-arraged store after the re-model :( I do keep my eye out for sales when I am at the store (hello $2 Off meat coupons at Aldi!)

I'm not really that organized, but I can spend too much time and too much money if this part of my life isn't planned at least a bit.

I have thought about the pick-up, but I am picky about dates, meat and produce, I always check for the best deal and the ingredient list if it is something new. So I'm not sure that is a good solution for me. Maybe I will give it a try...

3. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

I don't mind grocery shopping but I don't like unpacking it all when I get back!
    I usually make a menu plan for the week, then a shopping list after, although I often end up buying extras!

bellbird likes this.
  4. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I'm with you courtney- I enjoy it (more when I'm by myself without helpers!) and always have a list, but also tend to grab sale items too. We do a rough meal plan each week- but if I find good meat or something on sale, we can fly by the seat of our pants! ;)

bestcee likes this.
  5. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

I am a planner and grocery list maker... otherwise I would walk out with random stuff and not be able to cook a single meal. Also I have an amazing memory except when it comes to remembering what I need at the grocery store. So a list is a must.

We usually go as a family. We will split up the shopping and we get done pretty quickly. We also normally always shop on Monday night.

Regardless I am pretty sure it stresses me out. I try to be prepared and eat beforehand but yet it tends to anyhow.

bestcee likes this.
  6. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I hate grocery shopping!! Just hate it. Sometimes I'm ready with a list, sometimes I fly by the seat of my pants. I can meal plan for a week and then it usually goes out the window. I never know what I'm going to be in the mood to fix from day to day and will usually change my mind several times a week. When I go I tend to really stock up for at least 2-3 weeks, sometimes a month, so I don't have to go back anytime soon.

I've thought about the grocery pick up thing, Kroger here does it, but like I said, I just never know in advance what I want until I see it lol

wvsandy likes this.
  7. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

I love the Kroger Click List. I sit down on my computer with my "list" of items I need then I go through and choose what I want. I don't buy alot of meat or produce this way so I do do a big shop usually every 2 weeks to get my meat.

8. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

It has been a long time since my kids were little, but I remember when they were, I felt like grocery shopping was a vacation for me. I left the kids with my husband and went out alone. For a while I did it on Saturdays following walks/hikes/photography meetups in various places, so it was great me time.

Now it is just a chore. An expensive chore. I keep a list of things as we run out of them on Apple Notepad and otherwise just get a lot of the same things, following pretty much the same route around Wegmans.

9. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

My Kroger is gone - they closed 17 stores in our area. I was :overreact but it didn't help so now I am :thinking2. I do most of shopping at Costco, so my other store list is pretty small. I use the Cozi online site/app which has shopping lists. You can add headers so I have one for Target, Costco, and Food Lion (used to say Kroger). Since it is an app, my kids can add to it and reference it in the store. Now that hubby has entered the smart phone age, I noticed he added Oatmeal to my list today -- yah!! You can check things off or you can remove them completely. I really like it a lot.

And I actually love grocery shopping because it is the one place where I feel like I can buy anything I want. Except my new grocery choice doesn't have the selection my old store did. :cry

10. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I love grocery shopping because I don't do it. :giggle DH takes the kids and so I get a little time to myself on Saturday mornings. Heaven! But I will go to pick up things if I'm craving something (usually donuts rofl but sometimes it's oatmeal). My issue is people who take up the WHOLE aisle and stare at the food like they've never seen food arranged on shelves before. For me, it's grab and go. The faster I'm out of there, the better.

When we first got married, DH and I would grocery shop together. I expected to walk in and just get what was on our list. If we only needed fruits/veggies and milk, then those are the 2 places I thought we'd hit. He likes to walk down every.single.aisle. "just in case." WHAT?! Just in case what? I didn't complain (usually lol) cuz it was just the two of us. But now, with the kids in tow, he doesn't waste time walking the aisles anymore lol! He hits what he needs and zips in line to pay. Now I wish he'd take more time!

11. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

I love to cook, so I actually enjoy grocery shopping for the most part, depending on the time I go. I always have a list, because if I don't, I'd make 8 trips a day. No lie. But I also fly by the seat of my pants depending on what looks good.

12. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

My hubby does the grocery shopping, too. He loves to go and I hate to so that works out wonderfully. He loves going to Sam's Club. Ugh. I always say that I need a mild sedative to go to Sam's. LOL Once in awhile, I'll go to Publix and just look at all the stuff they have. We have Whole Foods opening up soon about a mile from our house. I know I'll be over there once in awhile.

Hubby isn't even fun to go with. He's one of those run up and down the aisles and grab what you need and go. I can't even stop and look at anything when I'm with him. My dad went to the grocery with him years ago and he talked about that experience (shopping with my hubby) for years. Haha

cfile and Tree City like this.
  13. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

I'm a planner. I check the sales, plan my meals for the week and then go shopping.
    I've been off my plans for a few weeks and when I started it back up last week it just felt right. sigh

cfile likes this.
  14. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

When I was doing full grocery shops on my own, I kind of did 50/50 split on list vs fly by the seat of my pants

I did a list for everything except meat, bakery and produce. For sure the fresh stuff I had a rough idea of what I wanted but if something was on sale or reduced I’d buy that - Ie: for protein I might say chicken breasts but if thighs or legs were on sale I’d buy them instead or if I wanted salmon but a small piece (thin and not much flesh) was over about $7 on sale I’d change for something else.

15. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I have a list, but also add what looks good, so I have no idea what that makes me.
    Buying goodies for my family is one of the ways I express love so often it will be a little something special that I know one of them would just love.

16. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I used to be a fly by the seat of my pants kinda shopper, but then I realized how much food I was wasting because I didn't have enough for a whole recipe or I'd buy too much for the week and stuff would go bad, etc. Now I list the meals for the week and make my list for what i need only for those meals. It saves me a bunch of money. That's also why my hubby isn't allowed to go. He never checks prices and buys whatever looks good and LOTS of everything. Lol... including too much junk food and ice cream. :giggle

We do have Shipt for my grocery store and it's only $49 a year, but I think I'm took much of a control freak to let someone else do my shopping and I don't want have cash on hand for tipping, etc. Maybe someday I'll try it.

cfile likes this.
  17. TeaWithLemon

TeaWithLemon Well-Known Member

My husband and I do the grocery shopping together, and he goes insane if I don't have a list. Wondering the aisles is not his thing at all. So, I use an app - AnyList. Its pretty good - you can create multiple lists, add notes, stuff like that. I'm sure there are a million apps, but that's what I use. Of course, that doesn't mean I totally stick to the list - things catch your eye, things might jump in the cart . . .

cfile likes this.
  18. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I make a list and pretty much stick to it. I try to go "big" grocery shopping once a week and then I'll go in every couple of days to get produce or things I might have missed.

19. meterr

meterr I've got ICE in my veins!

I am exactly like you!!!

bestcee likes this.
  20. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I don’t mind grocery shopping but I hate deciding what to cook. If my family would just tell me what the want to eat, then I’d buy all the stuff. I usually look at what’s on sale and make meals from that. I haven’t tried the clicklist because I’m a control freak and want to pick out my own meats, bread and produce.

bestcee likes this.