Greetings! Direct me, I’m new.

Discussion in 'The Welcome Pad' started by Doramiyi, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Doramiyi

Doramiyi Member

Greetings, I joined the LilyPad back in 2017, can’t even remember why. This weekend was Project Mouse’s FANniversary. It was my first time joining in the festivities and I finally took a huge leap and tried digital scrapbooking.

Joined in a couple challenges, had fun, and learning. I purchased a couple scrapbook kits and used a couple of free apps (Project Life & Over). Plus lots and lots of Googl-info to figure things out.

The event is over and I’m browsing around the forum, looking at welcome posts, posts for newbies, help & faq etc.

Is there’s a thread or area that goes through things for people new to digital scrapbooking and/or to the LilyPad in general. I see lots of acrynoms, (CT, TLP, MOC, and many more). Some I’ve figured out, some still learning.

If there’s anything that might be helpful for learning the ropes around here, please point me in that direction.

Many thanks.

Justagirl, ForeverJoy and bellbird like this.
  2. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Welcome to the pad Doramiyi!!! So glad you joined in on the Project Mouse festivities over the weekend, had fun and want to jump into Digital Scrapbooking!! You will love it! as far as the acronyms, let's see if I can help with a few things:

TLP = The Lily Pad this is our forum :) aka the pad :)
    CT = Creative Team. The designers here have creative teams that scrap with their new (and old) products to show case them for the designers.
    MOC = Month of Challenges and is an event that we host every January. We just finished our 7th annual event! Each day a new challenge was presented and everyone would scrap the challenge. The results are currently in process, but there will be a chat to determine who will be the winners of the individual daily challenges (the winner gets a coupon to the store) all completers of all 31 challenges will get a $20 gift card to the store, and there will be a winner for a POLLY spot.
    POLLY= a Creative Team Member for the Lily Pad. Each Polly has a job here at the pad and generally assists in all aspects to keep this place a fun place to be :)
    SOSN= Something Old Something New sale every Wednesday of the month the Designers will put things for sale from their stores for 50% off that day only.
    BYOC is the first Friday of the Month. It is the Build Your Own Collaboration. Each month there is a color scheme and all the designers use the color scheme to design papers and elements in that scheme so that whatever customers/community members purchase in the BYOC will match to be used together. You can mix and match designer product.
    Froggy Friday = New product Friday release day sale.

In the Welcome forum here is some information to check out https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/forum-gallery-and-signature-rules.18812/
    Here is a great forum with FAQ's (Frequently asked Questions) to help you find your way around the site: https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/faq-notifications-signatures-and-other-fun-facts.48073/
    and we have a learning pad too with lots of tutorials with different skill levels to help too https://the-lilypad.com/forum/forum/learning-pad.351/

Get started there :) The first of the month there is a calendar of events posted in the announcement thread. This will show when the chats are and what festivities and events are happening: https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/february-chats-and-scraps.61096/#post-1120875

I hope this gets you started. We are all here to help.. just let us know what software program you use so we can get the correct help you need. A lot of us use Photo Shop / PS CC and Photo Shop Elements.

3. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Hello @Doramiyi and welcome to TLP and to digital scrapbooking!

Christa just posted as I was about to hit send so I'll erase some of what I had lol but "LOD" is Love Our Designers: it is a special event where each day we focus on a TLP Designer. The designers have been offering AWESOME sales on their day!

The Learning Pad has a ton of information on DS; most of it is geared toward Photoshop programs (typically abbreviated as simply PS or as PSCC for Photoshop Creative Cloud, or as "PSE" for their Elements program, or as PSCS for their Creative Suite), but some other programs are covered plus you can do similar things in SOME programs, so you may learn something even if it's not for your program/app. At the top is a thread with an alphabetical list of all tutorials, which makes it easier to find what you need (and if you want something covered that isn't listed, you can PM Christa @cfile and let her know.

You may find help in the Project Life forums because some of those scrappers use the Project Life app. Here's a link to the abbreviations thread started in there to give you a breakdown of some of the terms they use. Otherwise, if you see a term in a thread you're reading, you can always ask. We are all willing to help and to spread the DS love!

Otherwise, this is a hobby where you learn as you go. The more you scrap, the more you can figure out your program and your personal style. And again, welcome to TLP!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  4. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Christa and Sara gave you lots to get started! This is the most helpful forum ever! Welcome to digital scrapbooking! I switched from paper to digi around 2004 or 2006 (depending on how I define it) and love it! I find the best way to learn a lot and keep up a scrapping routine is to participate in the monthly challenges, designer challenges, and other events and activities here.

bellbird and Doramiyi like this.
  5. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Yep, everyone is super friendly and helpful and there are folk all around the world, so you don't have to wait long day or night, for someone to answer your questions.
    FANversary was super fun though, right?

6. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Hello and welcome to TLP!! You'll love it here and somebody is always ready to jump in and help you if you have a question of problem. As you can see, there are wonderful, supportive members here!

7. Doramiyi

Doramiyi Member

Thank you @cfile so much for listing out the acronyms. Truly appreciate you taking the time to write all that out. I visited many of the listed threads, which I’m happy about. Means I’ve tried first to see and figure things out. But I hadn’t seen the LearningPad section yet. I’ll be sure to look at those. Many thanks :) I feel very welcomed indeed.

bellbird, bestcee and cfile like this.
  8. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Fantastic :) Just take your time and go through things at your leisure, and be sure to stop by and sign up for all the designer Newletters for wonderful sale promotions and some free goodies too ! https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/designers-who-what-where-newsletters-more.46162/

In addition today's Love Your Designer ETC by Danyale has 3 ways to pick up some free goodies.. check it out and collect to get you on your way to a great kit :) https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/february-26-etc-by-danyale.61652/#post-1124276

9. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Hello and welcome to TLP! So glad you've joined us!

10. Doramiyi

Doramiyi Member

Hi @Tree City. Thanks for the additional acrynoms, it’s so helpful coz then I know what to search for in the forums/google. I tried my hand at digital scrapbooking yesterday and you are definitely right, learn as we go. I’m a physcial/traditional scrapper. Downloaded the Over app and ProjectLife app just to participate in the ProjectMouse events. So if the thing I was doing wasn’t intuitive to me, I’d search it out. Basically, I searched pretty much every step as I digitally put together the layouts. None the less, I had a great time. I love the challenge of figuring things out. I learn better that way. Thanks for pointing me to the ProjectLife section. I’ll be sure to look through it.

bellbird, Tree City and cfile like this.
  11. Doramiyi

Doramiyi Member

Hi @michelepixels,

You are a seasoned digital scrapper now. I am learning lots. And you are so right about participating in challenges. It was completely because of the ProjectMouse festivities that enticed me to finally try. One of the many things going on was layout challenges, which I wasn’t going to do since I had no software/app nor digital kits. But someone mentioned a couple of free apps and there was a sale on digital kits, and I had the pictures already..... one thing led to the next, and now this is where I’m at. Looking forward to seeing and participating here.

12. Doramiyi

Doramiyi Member

Awesome forum name @Eyeore. I smiled when I looked at your name. I’m a Disney fan, but you probably guessed that from my profile pic. FANniversary was fun for sure. I hope there will be many more FANniversaies to come. Project Mouse is brilliant.

bellbird and cfile like this.
  13. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Welcome to The Lilypad. Glad you're back with us.

14. Doramiyi

Doramiyi Member

@Cherylndesigns, I recognize your name. You were one of the very first to comment on my layout. The one with Undercover Tourist book on Disney World.... it was doing my research for the trip. It was so nice and welcoming to see your comment. :)

bellbird and cfile like this.
  15. Doramiyi

Doramiyi Member

Hi Cheryl / fiddle-dee-dee / @gonewiththewind
    I enjoyed all three of your sessions. As I watched you scrap it gave me some basic knowledge of how it works, like layerings and shadows. Plus, it gave me a bit of confidence to give it a try too. Now I wish we could all scrap and sing together, having lotsa fun. I’ll be sure to try and catch your monthly LIVE scrap sessions.

bellbird, gonewiththewind and cfile like this.
  16. Doramiyi

Doramiyi Member

Happy to be here. So much going on. So fun. And.... trying out a new thing for me. I hit ‘quote post’ button. I hope it does what I think it does.

And... your signature is AWESOME. HP fan too!

bellbird, keepscrappin and cfile like this.
  17. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I wondered if you were at one of the chats! I'm glad you enjoyed them. I'm glad to see you here!

Welcome to the Lilypad! It looks like you got all your questions answered, but if we missed one, let us know! based on your join date, I bet you were here for {inter}-National Scrapbooking Day (NSD) which is the first weekend in May.

18. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

So glad you were able to attend, and I would love to see you on a monthly basis! I'm so grateful for the internet to pull all us scrappy peeps together!

19. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Welcome to The Lilypad! We're so glad you joined us!! Looks like you've already gotten great information, but if there's anything else you need, just let us know :)

20. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

Welcome! Looks like you are off to a great start! So glad to have you joining in! :)

Doramiyi and bellbird like this.