Go Fund Me/Kick Starter? |Pad Patter 8.8

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by AnneofAlamo, Aug 8, 2018.

1. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I have a support group for my son's behavior and the woman that runs it is very ill. I just gave a small amount. There are 700 people in the group, and most have contributed. I am wowed at the giving.
    Long ago, I gave to a Kick Starter program for our Tangie. It was such a great feeling to be part of her dream.

Have any of you ever participated in Go Fund Me or Kick starter?

2. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Yes! I definitely have contributed to some awesome Go Fund Me pages... I've also seen some that just make me... shake my head. There was one guy in my hubby's hometown who wanted to go to a Cub's playoff game and one of his friends started a Go Fund Me and in a couple of days his town donated like $2500 so he could go and bring a friend and have a REALLY good time there. It was silly, but also kinda sweet that his friends did that for him. The guy posted a ton of pictures of the day to share with the group and a thank you and it was fun.

Sorry to hear about your friend who's sick though. :( I pray the funds help her out with whatever she needs!

jesskab likes this.
  3. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

I haven't heard of a Kick Starter fund before, but I have contributed to a few Go Fund Me pages for people that I know in real life. My niece started a fund for my SIL last year when she lost her home and everything (including vehicles) to the wildfires that ravaged BC last year. Even though she was getting money from insurance, the Go Fund Me helped them set themselves up in the day-to-day stuff that you don't even think about.

4. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

I have given to GoFundMe accounts but never a KickStarter account.

5. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I have donated to Go Fund Me and the last time I wasn't very happy about it. It was for the daughter of a friend of my daughter's. I felt so bad for her because she lost her husband in a bad motorcycle accident and had two little ones. Supposedly, they had nothing. Long story short - she was on social media showing pictures of trips she was going on and she used part of the money to get a huge tattoo (in memory of her husband). I know how much those things cost and I was offended that she obviously used the money for those things!

I have donated to Pledge Music (like Kick Starter for musicians). I support and follow a wonderful musical group called Sons of Serendip. They were in the finals of America's Got Talent a few years ago and I absolutely fell in love with them. I have donated money for their last two albums and they sent me the coolest T-shirt which I wear with pride.

6. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I have, but I'm picky about where my money goes. My nephew is a South Carolina State Trooper and one of his c-workers, who also happened to be his best friend was shot and killed while on duty 6 months ago, so we donated to a Go Fund Me that was used to start a foundation in his memory.

One that I did not give to was started by my oldest daughter (yeah, the one that hates me!) because she apparently bought a house and cannot afford to pay the bills! She had the nerve to send us a link to it, describing how much she hates us in her story. But that didn't stop her from asking us for money.

Sokee and Psychozoe like this.
  7. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

The last GoFundMe I contributed to was to help an immigrant mother make bail so she could be released from detention and be reunited with her three teenage daughters who had been living several states away from her for 3 years.

She was reunited with them a couple of weeks ago.

:beat:beat:beat:beat:beat

8. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I have donated to Go Fund Me accounts.

I think that when you give, you have to follow your gut, your instinct, your intuition - whatever you want to call - to determine if it's something that's right for you to do.

jenn mccabe and Cherylndesigns like this.
  9. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

I have to say, that they are a pet peeve of mine.

It's probably because I'm from and in a country that does have proper health care (insurance), so I believe one shouldn't have to start a GoFundMe for that. I know, idealistic, and not the reality in many countries, but yeah.
    I also don't believe that anyone should have to be homeless. Because, again, in my country there are systems in place that should prevent that.

So when I see those usually super long and sad stories about how they don't even have food to eat, I get annoyed. Not at that person, but at the system that creates this. And yes I know I'm speaking from a place of privilege.

I'm not saying I never donate, because I have. But I definitely need to "know" (or feel, more likely) that this is serious, real, and just, like, honest or something. It's difficult.

jenn mccabe, jesskab and bestcee like this.
  10. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

So many hugs to you. I know it's difficult.

djp332 likes this.
  11. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I giggled a little at your title, because Go Fund Me and Kickstarter are 2 totally different things in my opinion!
    Yep, I've done both. Go Fund Me for our digital scrap community. And I hated it, but I helped list my sister's for her when her husband committed suicide. They lived paycheck to paycheck, and no insurance to help with burial.

Kickstarter: I've done 3 or 4? Let's see:
    Bring Back MST3K - And we brought it back! Go Netflix.
    The Duchess - a Gaming Table that has a dining table top. Love it!
    Cuterpillar Crop - The crafting cutter.
    Exploding Kittens - Fun little game available on Amazon now.
    New Board Game. Can't remember the title? And haven't received it yet. It recently closed the kickstarter, so production is just starting.

KarenW likes this.
  12. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

I've contributed to just a couple of Go Fund Me accounts, I'm a soft touch but I try to be picky. I prefer giving to well run charities and charity fund raisers.
    I've only contributed to one Kick Starter - like @bestcee it was a game - Unstable Unicorns - lots of fun card game, with high production values and who doesn't like cute/scary unicorn illustrations? We also have Exploding Kittens but didn't get on as a kickstarter. The box it came in meows everytime you open it, drives our real cat insane...

bestcee likes this.
  13. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

Yes. Kickstarter and Go Fund Me.

14. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Yes and yes to both -- My hubby has also bought into the wait list for an Elio car. Fortunately, he is in the lowest contribution bracket so the risk is small, but after several years there are still no cars being made.

15. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I have given to Go Fund Me. It has to be something I'm personally connected with.

bestcee likes this.
  16. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I have donated for Gofundme's. The most recent is a local Periodontist who puts on a great continuing education series for local hygienists. He's one of the nice, most ethical dr's I know & he has stage 4 brain cancer at the age of 40 with a wife & 4 little kids. It's just heartbreaking. Our local dental community alone has raised 10's of thousands for his family.

I haven't done a kickstarter- although Ive seen lots of things that have piqued my curiosity!

17. meggersjm

meggersjm bunny ears, bunny ears, playing by a tree

I don't know enough about Kickstarter- so no there.

I have never given to a go-fund me. We give pretty generously, but we prefer to donate directly to the cause. I've never run across a cause that was near to my heart that I didn't have a way to donate directly. There are a lot of benefit dinner/dance/auction type things around here for cancer patients, house fires, accidents, etc. We usually go to several a year. Local banks usually coordinate accounts too. I also think that go fund me can get messy with fees and taxes if you don't do things just right, I want the recipients to get all the money.

18. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

I've never done Kickstarter.

I have donated through GoFundMe, mostly fellow scrappers in need. I also donated to make a Hawaiian music documentary & got my name in the credits.

My friends & family pushed me to start a GoFundMe for a giant stuffed animal sloth that I would never splurge on for myself. It was done in minutes. I used the extra money & added a little to adopt a sloth through WWF. My friend's son is obsessed with them. They sent him a certificate & letter. He was over the moon.

19. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

It's not really something we do here. The NHS means we don't need to do go fund me's for medical bills. I have donated art work to raffle or auction for charity fund raisers, and created posters and graphics for websites.

20. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

I haven't done any Kickstarters -- I'm just not interested and don't check it.

I recently did a GoFundMe for a friend's family. It was one of those things where a lot of people wanted to contribute to the family, so the account was set up (and the goal was upped a couple of times during its run.) I don't think I could do it for someone that I didn't know personally.