Give your pets a BIG hug!!

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Chippi, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Chippi

Chippi Those chicken nuggets are just waiting to attack

Oh man. The photos I used on my page today were almost the last photos of our bunnies...

[​IMG]

WARNING -- Not a happy story.. but a mostly happy ending, so far.

I took these pictures on Monday afternoon, and I was going to scrap them the next morning after school drop off. Well, Tuesday morning, first thing, our bunnies got attacked by a stray cat and managed to get out of their cage! It was terrifying, and I never EVER want to hear a bunny scream again. That noise will haunt me forever.
    We were just sitting around enjoying the morning when we heard the commotion, and saw one of the bunnies out of their cage being chased. Hubby and I flew out of the house to try to get the cat away, but we couldn't find Mr Hopps. I looked in the cage and the other one, Marshmallow, was gone too. I was devastated. It might sound silly, because they are rabbits, but I couldn't breathe. I practically collapsed in my driveway, weeping.
    Hubby told me to go inside to make sure the kids were ok and he would look around the street for the bunnies. As I was going inside, I heard Melody call out, "Mr Hopps?!"
    Somehow, one of the bunnies had dodged the cat and found his way up the stairs and into the house!! I scooped him up and gave him to my absolutely distraught, Melody. She held him for a minute but he wanted to run and hide, understandably.
    But we couldn't find Marshmallow, anywhere. Hubby walked up and down the street and asked everyone he saw if they had seen a cat chasing a rabbit (and that it was the rabbit that we were looking for, not the stupid cat). He wanted to find something, even if Marshmallow had been killed, it would have been nice to find him to put him to rest.
    Nothing.
    He was about to give up when a lady came running back up the street and told him that Marshmallow was being stalked by the cat in our neighbour's driveway. He came and got me and the pet carrier and we tried to get Marshmallow to come. He kept bolting and the cat was still there, and he was near the road. It was awful. But I finally was able to approach him and he got in the carrier.
    We knew that if they survived the next hour or so, that they wouldn't die of shock. That usually happens immediately during/after a big scare. But these guys are tough little bunnies.
    We did have to take them to the vet, because Marshmallow had a bite and cats' bites spread infection like crazy, even in humans. The vet said we were very lucky, because the bite was right on his head, and if it had been her cat, Marshmallow would have been dead. He got a shot of antibiotics and we have to put iodine on the wounds, but he is still at risk for a few more days because of the possible infection.
    Mr Hopps is pretty much all clear, though he still seems a little slower than normal, but he has what looks like a cyst on his jaw (not from the attack) that they will investigate further when he is asleep being desexed.

At this stage they both seem to be ok, but they aren't out of the woods just yet. I still feel sick to my stomach every time I think about how close we came to losing both of them!!
    It is amazing how two little critters can grab hold of your heart so tight in such a short time.
    Give your pets a big hug today.

2. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

How scary! I'm glad it had the best possible outcome under such circumstances. We have issues with neighbourhood cats here without collar bells & the native birds. Finding them is so sad & they aren't even our pets so your feelings are totally understandable. I hope with the vet (veteranarian) & all, they recover soon!

3. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

That's so scary! I'm so glad they are both mostly ok and I hope all goes well with Mr. Hopps when then investigate the cyst! They really do become one of the family very quickly!

4. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

oh Chippi.. I am so glad you got them both back and hopefully Marshmallow will continue to get better. So glad Mr. Hops is ok too... gosh how scary. I think they are so adorable.. I have wild bunnies here that I am very protective of so i can only imagine. Hugs and hope all continues to get better.

5. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

Oh my gosh...how horrible. Poor little bunnies!!
    I totally get it though. We have two bunnies in a larger coop outside and the stray cats always like to circle their cage trying to figure out how to get in. Luckily my husband built it himself so they are very secure but I couldn't even imagine if those cats did get to them.
    So sorry that happened to them and I hope your sweet kids are ok after that.

6. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Oh Chippi!!! So scary! Don't discount rabbits... they are little furry creatures that a part of your family! I hope they continue to do well, and respond to all the extra love and attention! Sending a hug to you, too!

7. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

How scary. Poor little bunnies. Hope they will both be okay.

8. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

How scary! I'm glad you got a good outcome so far. I hope Marshmallow continues to heal and that Mr. Hops is ok. What a smart bunny to head into the house!
    Pets are part of the family around here.

9. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

Oh no, how scary! Poor little bunnies. I'm glad they are mostly ok and hope that Marshmallow continues to heal and that Mr. Hopps' cyst turns out to be nothing serious. Hugs!

10. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I don't have pets to hug but that was heart wrenching story! I hope your bunnies and kids have been enjoying a rejuvenating, relaxing day today, and will forget this trauma. :love

11. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

Poor little bunnies! So glad to hear they are on the road to recovery.

12. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Oh no! That is awful. I hope they recover quickly.

13. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Yes, pets are family too!!! I am glad your bunnies are okay. It is a scary world out there.

Our cat is an inside/outside one and yes, when she was younger she was a bit of a hunter. However, back in October something got her and sliced her tail really bad. It was cut almost to the bone. She had to have 4 stitches and it healed up okay, but it took about a month. They said it could have been another cat, a dog, or maybe a raccoon. There are coyotes here in the city since are area is so wooded, but they don't think it was that.

14. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

YIKES!!! That was a close call! Hopefully they continue to get better!

15. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Aww. I am so sorry you all went through that! We have had two bunnies as pets in the past. I'm so glad to hear they are OK - wow, that is quite a scare!

16. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Wow! This story made my heart race! I’m so glad you found them and that they are okay so far! By the way... I love that layout!

17. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Oh my!!! So since my last post, my poor sweet doggie was attacked by another dog. She just wanted to say Hi and it was going well until the other dog went for her neck. The owner got the other dog off her pretty quickly but she has a cut several inches long and deep. She has puncture wounds too. However, she is going to be okay and is getting better every day. I anticipate the vet bill to be close to $1,000 after all the follow-up visits.

As the vet reminded me, you really can not know what your dog (or other pet) is thinking and what they will do. The other dog owner was just as shocked as I was.