Gingerbread cookies....

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by renee82, Dec 15, 2009.

1. renee82

renee82 renee82

Hey girls! Caleb asked me to make him some gingerbread cookies and I said yes. The problem is, I've never made them so I don't have a great recipe. Anyone care to share theirs?

2. estir_bune

estir_bune Guest

we just made gingerbread cookies.... but we cheated immaculate gingerbread cookies with all my dd's dietary needs these worked, and are yummy! Our house smells like Christmas!

3. eryn

eryn gross no longer

watching and waiting :)

4. colleen

colleen Happy to be home!

look in the refridgerator section of the grocery store - it comes in a tube!!!

5. Sara

Sara Riding in the Neil mobile

I'm eyeballing this thread. I make 7562 kinds of cookies during Christmastime, but gingerbread is not one of them.

6. ShannaNoel

ShannaNoel ShannaNoel

I have used this one before and they turned out YUMMERS!

mes:
    Prep10 minInactive Prep--Cook15 minTotal:25 min
    Recipe Tools:
    Print Recipe
    Get Card
    Save Recipe
    Ingredients
    Cookies:
    1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1/2 cup vegetable shortening
    1 cup corn syrup (light or dark)
    4 cups all-purpose flour
    2 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
    1/4 teaspoon allspice
    Royal Icing, recipe follows
    Equipment:
    Gingerbread women and men cookie cutters
    Green, yellow, red, blue, and black food coloring
    Small offset spatulas
    Gold and silver dragees
    Edible glitter
    Colored sprinkles
    Small paint brush
    Pastry bags with couplers
    Pastry tip sizes 1, 2, 3, 101, and 46
    White and yellow nonpareils
    White, yellow, red, and green sanding sugar
    Multicolored mini-jawbreakers (about 1/4-inch round)
    Piping gel
    Directions
    Make the Cookies: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Place the brown sugar, shortening, and corn syrup in a saucepan and heat on medium, stirring constantly until the shortening is melted.

Place all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl; then add the warm sugar mixture, stirring until all of the ingredients are well blended. The dough will appear crumbly but will hold together when rolled out.

Use the dough immediately, while it is still warm. If it starts to crumble, place it in a warm oven for 1 to 2 minutes until it softens a bit.

To make decorated cutout cookies; Roll out the dough to about 1/8-inch thick on a lightly floured surface. Cut out gingerbread women and men with cookie cutters. Place the cookies on foil-lined cookie sheets and bake until golden brown, about 10 to 15 minutes. Cool the cookies on racks before decorating.

To decorate, tint a recipe of royal icing to your desired colors. Keep the icing covered with a damp towel while you are working to prevent it from drying out. To cover a cookie with icing, thin some of the icing with a little water and spread it on the cookie with a knife or metal spatula. Leave some of the icing thick for piping borders or other designs, using the #2 tip. Add dragees, edible glitter, colored sprinkles, or other decorations to the wet icing. To attach candies to un-iced cookies, brush a thin layer of clear piping gel on the cookie with a small paintbrush and add decorations.

Royal icing is very versatile. It is pure white and dries very hard, so it is perfect for making flowers and bows and delicate piped work. It can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 weeks. You should stir the icing to restore its original consistency after storage, but do not rebeat. Royal icing does not work well in high humidity.

5 tablespoons meringue powder (found in cake decorating stores)

1/2 cup minus 2 tablespoons water

OR

2 egg whites*, at room temperature

1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar

2 teaspoons water

1 pound confectioners' sugar

Place all of the ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat slowly until they are all blended. Then beat at medium speed until the icing forms stiff peaks, about 5 minutes. Add more sugar if the icing is not stiff enough, or a few drops of water if it is too stiff. Use immediately or cover the bowl with a damp cloth to prevent drying when not in use. Allow at least 24 hours for royal icing decorations to dry, at room temperature.

Yield: 2 1/2 cups

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Ease of Preparation: Easy

7. Keela

Keela I have puppy fever!!

Seriously? I didn't know that...and I thought I was the queen of tube cookies. LMBO! Sadly, I have never made homemade chocolate chip cookies for my boys. They LOVE the tube ones. Oh...that's just sad, isn't it. :rollingpin

8. Kristine

Kristine Start spreadin' the news ...

I cheated this year and bought the pre-made dough, but I usually make them myself. The pre-bought dough was great though. I would give you my recipe, but I will probably translate the names of the spices wrong, and I would not want to be responsible for ruining christmas;)

9. my3hens

my3hens Is only good for one thing....

I am so not a good baker LOL I would try the home made cookies but I actually attempted to make gingerbread before and umm not so good LOL I am totally gonna look for the premade though!

10. Lisa Carroll

Lisa Carroll Lisa Carroll

I have had the tube kind before and they were good. and so much less work which made them even better!