geocaching with an iphone?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by kelley, Jun 3, 2012.

1. kelley

kelley Gets excited over little green things.

I'm wondering if iphones have gps? We are wanting to geocache this summer while camping. I'm wondering if I'll need to get a GPS too. (I'm trying to convince Chris I need an iphone for my bday)

2. Karah

Karah Karah

They don't have GPS but they do use triangulation which is pretty much the same thing (pretty darn close) - I actually just signed up to the geocaching website last week so I can start doing it with my kids this summer (I have an iphone)!

3. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Ha ha.. that's so funny that you posted this. I just replied to the other thread and listed my geocaching app as one of the reasons I love my phone. Karah, the newest iPhone actually does have a GPS in it now. And if you geocache, it is totally worth the upgrade to the paid version of the app. The free version only shows you 3 near by caches, the paid version shows them all and you can log the ones you find and you find them and add notes, etc. :)

4. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

We've had a membership to geocaching.com forever. I haven't even tried it with my iphone yet. Is that the app you use, Karen?

5. Angie4b1g

Angie4b1g A hundred jobs but Bob Villa ain't one

That's the app I use. Works pretty well. Although it sucks the crap out of your battery. And your data, if you're not on unlimited.

6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Yep... the one from geocaching.com is the one I use. I think the app was $9.99 when I bought it. Don't know what it costs now. It links up to your account and I like it because it counts the number of caches that we find... kind of like getting a sticker reward in kindergarten! :)

I really just like it because I don't have to print anything out and if we're out and about and the geocaching fancy strikes us, I can pull up that app and it'll quickly located all the closest caches according to where we are. You pick one and poof you're on the hunt! :)

7. Angie4b1g

Angie4b1g A hundred jobs but Bob Villa ain't one

^ Yep, all of that. And yes still $9.99. Well worth it, even though at first I was appalled. LOL

8. crazygirl

crazygirl Opening a post office

AWESOME! i'm so glad i read this thread! my husband is getting his iPhone (finally) next month, he'll be thrilled we can still geocache with it!! EEP!

9. tanbanan

tanbanan New Member

i think that's the geocaching app i have on my iPhone. . . we've found a few near our home and when we go on trips, etc.

10. kelley

kelley Gets excited over little green things.

The data usage worries me since I probably won't have an unlimited plan. I don't even know what carrier I'm going to go through yet. Yikes.

11. Karah

Karah Karah

ohhh nice - I do have the newest iPhone, I just assumed it was the same as my old one :D

But I didn't think about data usage ... hmmm. I'm on a pretty low package right now. Might have to move to the next level up if I can convince dh ;)