Game of Thrones Season 8 Episode 3 Discussion *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by weaselwatchr, Apr 28, 2019.

1. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

OMG Did that really happen???? (I actually don't know, since it isnt on yet. But I am sure there is going to be a lot of this tonite.

[​IMG]

2. weaselwatchr

3. weaselwatchr

4. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Half an hour until the battle starts. I’m on pins and needles! Got my jammies on, snacks ready, am going to make a tea and read my book for a few minutes until it starts. At times like this I’m so happy my hubs talked me into a high def big screen tv.

weaselwatchr likes this.
  5. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

6. weaselwatchr

7. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

I know there's many complaints about the darkness in this episode but I thought the action got off to a start with some stunning visuals - Melisandre appearing and lighting the Dothraki weapons with flames, then the Dothraki attack and slowly seeing each bit of light disappear. Then Melisandre lighting the trenches. She was so pivotal in the success of the living.

Kate, weaselwatchr and Ferdy like this.
  8. Kate

Kate The Doctor's new companion

I just finished watching it! I think I need a moment to process everything that happened. And to stop crying.

weaselwatchr likes this.
  9. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Wow wow wow! I'm so glad that no more of my favorites died. I honestly thought it was going to be SOOO much worse. I really don't like that Melisandre got to have some a pivotal role in the living's survival, but I am glad that they did get to live because of what she did. I'm still with Davos in my inability to forgive her for burning that Stannis' daughter. That was awful!

And I can't believe the ending with Arya and the Night King. Like I can't believe that it's and all tied up! After all that build up... it's just done!?!?!?! That 5 second scene had me shocked with happiness when Arya appeared, that terrified that she was going to die, then amazed that she lived and he died! My jaw was literally hanging open!

I loved the moments between Sansa and Tyrion too. It was sweet. And made me wonder if they possibly do end up together in some capacity?

Also... my boys decided to have a massive arguement RIGHT before the episode started and I was so anxious that I wasn't going to get them sorted and to bed before my show started. They never argue so WHY did they pick that moment! Argh!!!! Lol!

10. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

I just watched it for the second time, yesterday was really dark even setting my TV for the brightest mode.
    well....need to think more!!

Karen and weaselwatchr like this.
  11. weaselwatchr

I will be back with my very long opinion about the episode later tonite after work.so many thoughts!

Karen likes this.
  12. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

When I saw the scene with the red witch and Arya, I immediately thought of an upcoming plot direction and when I googled it, I saw that others are thinking the same thing. It was when she said:

"I see a darkness in you. And in that darkness, eyes starring back at me. Brown eyes, blue eyes, green eyes. Eyes sealed shut forever. We will meet again." I do believe she will be the one to kill Cersei. I've thought that for awhile that it would Arya who would kill her (maybe wearing Jaime's face).

Visually that was awesome when the red witch lit the weapons with flames and lighting the trenches.

I need to watch again this week. Was that Sam's wife that got dragged off and killed last night? It all happened so quickly I wasn't sure.

The Sansa/Tyrion talk had me misty eyed. The look on his face said it all.

The goodbye from Bran to Theon was so sad. He got to go out a hero, redeeming himself, which I liked. I really loved his character, how it evolved throughout the show.

SeattleSheri, Kate and Karen like this.
  13. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

I thought it was so abrupt - after years of building up the night king and then -poof- all done. Love that Arya is the ultimate hero though - avenged the Red Wedding and then on to save the Kingdom! And the Hound saving her was so great as well.

Bran is still annoying, glad most of the rest made it - it seems like a bit of a let down now they are on to face Cercei - more emotional I guess. And Jon and Dany will have to work out their relationship now as well. could be interesting.

Lyanna and the giant was the most shocking, loved that character - I was expecting Theon to die this week - surprised there weren't more. Not many Dothraki left I guess..

14. scrapmemories

scrapmemories Well-Known Member

Just because the night king is dead doesn't make this storyline over. Just adds more weight that Bran was more powerful over him. There is a theory that Bran is the Lord of Light.
    There is so much more to cover in the final 3 episodes which makes me think the battle last Sunday will be game compared to what is ahead

Kate and Karen like this.
  15. scrapmemories

scrapmemories Well-Known Member

Can I add that I loved this episode. It Das AMAZING

Karen likes this.
  16. weaselwatchr

Here are my thoughts on the episode. Sorry it’s so long but there was a lot to process. I had so much anxiety at the beginning of the episode. When they were all standing in formation and staring into the nothingness, I was totally freaking out.

It was very cool when Melisandre lit the Dothraki swords. It was a great morale booster and made me think ok, maybe this won’t be so bad. Then they charged forward with Ghost and Jorah. And then the swords started to go out, and I thought holy crap (actually something else was said, but I am keeping it clean) Hubby kept asking me why I was so worked up, it’s only a show. When the few surviving Dothraki retreated (like ten of them), and the wights moved forward in a wave of fury, I thought it was just over. I was completely hopeless and thought here is the end of Brienne, Jaime, Podrick, and the heroes. And I couldn’t remember how the dead would rise again to fight, and when I could see our heroes, I couldn’t tell if they were alive or dead and I was just plain confused. The battle was well done, and full of suspense and confusion.

The dragons coming in play was great, but I think they should have been utilized earlier.

Sam was annoying. That’s all I’m going to say about that.

Loved the interactions between Arya and the Hound. He protecting her and she protecting him. They gave each other courage. I don’t think he’s on her list anymore, lol.

Arya was a total badass. She was great using her new weapon against the wights. I had seen some posts about what happened that she freaked out and started running around scared? I am not sure why people don’t remember that she got thrown into a wall and smacked her head really hard. That would totally make me feel less indestructible and make me a little more apprehensive about my safety.

As soon as Melisandre gave Arya her pep talk about all the eyes she has killed, and said blue eyes, I knew Arya was going to kill the Night King.

When the wights stormed the castle I thought that the troops did well keeping them at bay. And then the NK raised the dead and I was hopeless again.

The tension in the crypts was well done too. I loved the interactions between Sansa and Tyrion, and it made me wonder towards the end whether or not they would get together. I know Sansa said they wouldn’t work out at the beginning, but that was before the dead rose.

I loved that Theon got to be the hero. The interchange with him and Bran was great. He died knowing that he was a good man in the end and I think he needed to hear that.

I really thought Jon was also going to be slayer of dragons but that didn’t pan out, did it?

And finally Arya and the NK. That scene was epic. Yassss she is going to kill him. Oh god, they are going to kill off Arya!!! Yay she killed him!!! What a great ending.

And now I am kind of thinking where do we go from here? I know the series has always been the quest for the iron throne but I think it evolved to how will they kill the NK the past few seasons for me at least and now that that is resolved, I am kind of meh. I am sure the next episode will be full of surprises and plot twists and I will get sucked right in.

Like will Bronn kill the brothers Lannister? Who will kill Cersi, or will she outlive them all like she has outlived her children?

SeattleSheri, Karen, Ferdy and 2 others like this.
  17. Kate

Kate The Doctor's new companion

I thought it was a great episode, I've never seen such a tense piece of TV - so many ups and downs! Even the dark picture added to the tension, the confusion and the through-the-roof levels of anxiety. I LOVED that Ayra was the one to dispatch the NK. Finally all those tedious episodes in Braavos paid off :giggle. Great redemption stories for Theon (sob!) Jorah and Melisandre (athough even helping to save all of humanity isn't enough for me to forgive her for Shireen :mad). Even with the pep talk from Melisandre, I was still surprised when Ayra popped up with her ninja attack on the Night Knight, possibly because I was sobbing like a baby after Theon's sacrifice and running towards danger for once. Looking back, all the foreshadowing was great - Bran giving Arya that dagger in the wood, her sneaking up on Jon in the wood etc). The Jurassic Park velociraptor style scene in the library and the subsequent chase through Winterfell was so tense, I really liked that they showed that vulnerable side of her character before Melisandre snapped her back into ninja-assasin mode.

We'll have to wait and see if there's any more to this aspect of the story, but even if we don't find out anything more about the NK, White Walkers and Bran's connection with them in the show, it's been a great device to bring together a lot of disparate characters and accelerate those relationships. And it's levelled out the two remaining human armies / sides in terms of the battle for the throne. Dani's got her dragons, but Cersei has probably still got more wild fire and something else from creepy Qyburn up her sleeve. I am wondering if Dani is going to turn a bit "Mad Queen" now that she has lost most of her Dothraki and Jorah, and I'm interested to see what happens with her relationship with Jon. In fact, I'm interested to see what Jaime will do now, and Sansa. I'm rather looking forward to a return to the politics and scheming and battling for the throne again after all that anxiety!

VERY happy to see Ghost in the trailer for next week - phew!

SeattleSheri, Karen, Ferdy and 3 others like this.
  18. Chippi

Chippi Those chicken nuggets are just waiting to attack

Our "live" is on at 11am Monday Australian Time. Same time as you guys world wise, but being in the day, it makes things a bit difficult. We have our little boy home on Mondays and with the last two episodes it has been mostly fine, but because of what was going to happen in this episode, we didn't really want him watching. He ended up sitting under my desk with headphones on watching My Little Pony on the iPad, and peeking out to see the dragons.

On to the episode...

So much of this tonight:
    [​IMG]

and this:
    [​IMG]

and this:
    [​IMG]

and this:
    [​IMG]

So scared that Arya was going to be crushed like Lyanna, but then...
    Actual footage of me when she got him!
    [​IMG]
    My Yes! was so loud it made my little boy jump out of his skin, lol!!

With the build up of the last two episodes it did feel a little lacking and I think a lot of that was because it was so dark (we could see our reflections better than the characters most of the time), but at the same time, so much relief that it will be a battle between the living for the Iron Throne, not an eternal winter, and let's face it, even lame Game of Thrones episodes still feel epic compared to a lot of other shows.

I felt like Jon deserved the Night King kill after all the build up, but instead he screamed at an ice dragon. Lol.
    Edd and Lyanna broke my sister's heart, but I think they did it well, making them go out fighting.
    Glad they redeemed Theon, I found him a bit annoying and whiny, but I really did like his story progression.
    Jorah was just devastating, Daenerys' reaction hit my soul, and then Drogon giving her his best dragon hug, all the feels.

My head is still swimming. I honestly thought we were saying goodbye to a WHOLE lot more characters than we did. But that's ok, lol.

bonnenuit, weaselwatchr and Karen like this.
  19. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

well, this time I really can't explain in English everything that is going on, on my mind. ..

I have mixed feelings about this episode, and all the things I read, both in Portuguese and English, just helped me to be more confused lol

I hate some things that happened, and the way they decided to do it, like, I KNOW it should be dark, but 82 minutes of total darkness made me feel tired and with a headache and not much excited, and from some pieces I've read, it seems they (HBO) had problems with image's resolution also, sometimes the image was very pixelated and well...people with big tvs were complaining about this.

I don't know....I liked the episode, but I didn't loved it. For me, there were other battles on the show that made me feel more scared...but it's just my opinion , I know many of you loved !

I'm afraid to see the next 3 episodes, I hope some things are better explained, at least about Bran, he's there like an statue grrrrr!! lol and jon snow, please be a hero...you and dany are boring !! do something to get the throne! lol

SeattleSheri and weaselwatchr like this.
  20. weaselwatchr

How did I forget this? Yes I was a mess. Dany wailing and then Drogon coming down to shield her. It was just too much for me, lol

Ferdy likes this.