Gaah! Target online order for store pickup mess

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by QuiltyMom, Nov 28, 2018.

1. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Have any of you had any problems doing an in-store pickup with Target?

I placed an online Cyber Monday order for store pick up. When I went to get it, two of the items were marked unavailable. I knew for a fact one of the items was on the shelf (I had just walked passed it). So, I had to find the two items on the shelves then have customer service fix the mistake. It was a real pain, but at least I got the items and the discount. They said that sometimes the stock people who fulfill online orders don't bother looking for items on the selling floor if it's not in stock in the storeroom. Huh???

This was two days ago. I just received an email from Target telling me they had cancelled that part of my order. (Um, that happened two days ago!) When I called the 800 customer service line the person just couldn't get off script and kept telling me that they'd check the availability of the items... They couldn't understand that I was calling to let them know my frustration with the process.

Needless to say I won't be doing that again. Am I alone with this frustration? I'm just curious, that's all.

2. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Oooooohhhh.... don't get me started on Target right now! I ordered a few light items and a bookcase online to be delivered to my house. All of the light items shipped UPS while the heaviest, bulkiest item was shipped via USPS. I knew right then I would probably never see it or at least not see it by the promised date. Sure enough my mailman marked the package "delivery attempted, no access to delivery area" every day at the end of his shift instead of delivering it. After several days of this, I went through the online replacement request, I spelled out the issue and specifically asked that if they thought I should get a replacement please ship it via any other method than the USPS. Well... not an hour later I got a "your replacement item is on it's way" email and yes, it was being shipped via USPS again. I called and the first person I got was like yours, he could not vary from the script at all and didn't seem to grasp the issue at all. He kept acting like I should be excited that they had approved my replacement and shipped it so quickly. He finally got tired of me and transferred me to his supervisor. She was friendly and got my issue... but claims that they have absolutely zero say over how things are shipped. So basically my solution was to keep calling and asking for a replacement until USPS finally relented and actually delivered the item. She also told me that the original bookcase had been shipped back to their warehouse. Oddly enough.... not two hours later that bookcase that was supposedly back at their warehouse appeared at the bottom of our porch stairs. The second one appeared nearly a week and a half after the guaranteed date... last Sunday evening during a rain storm and they did not mark it as delivered. I love Target, just not the ordering online part lately.

Side note... due to my frustration with USPS, I wrote an email to my congressman since I knew he was working on issues with the postal service. Imagine my surprise to get a call from his office a couple days later to get the details of my issue and offer their assistance in getting my item delivered!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    Tree City, Karen and QuiltyMom like this.
  3. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Oh, wow!!! I've had serious problems with FedEx before, saying they'd delivered a package when they hadn't, but that is insane! I've had no problems with USPS except when it's a large item. They never want to deliver those. I'm so sorry you had to deal with that!

4. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Not Target - but last week I had a similar problem with Kohl's Online order/Store Pickup. I got a good deal on a Keurig and it was $5 extra Kohls cash to pick up in store Vs free shipping. Since I was headed out that way for other stuff I figured why not pick it up - we'd have it home a little quicker than the shipping would take too. Well, as I'm putting the Keurig in the car, I noticed the seal for the box was tampered with. I opened it up in the parking lot and sure enough it looked like someone had taken it out. Then I pull the tray out where the coffee mug sits and it was filthy - coffee spilled all over it and just dirty. They tried to give me a returned, used & DIRTY Keurig!!! I was furious.

When I went back in - they told me they had none in stock. And tried to tell me to drive to other stores 20 miles away where it was in stock. I was aggravated because it was a free ship item. I told her to just order me one to ship to my house because I was not driving 20 miles for a free ship item. Low and behold she has someone check the floor and there were plenty of them out there. It made no sense.

I agree with you - I'm not doing it again either. I'll either have it shipped or just go shopping myself.

Karen and QuiltyMom like this.
  5. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Target was good last year, but I don't think any of them are prepared for the onslaught of people who want to online order/pick up in store. Honestly, Walmart started that years ago and their service was wonderful. I haven't done that with them for a long time, but their home delivery still seems good. I'm pretty much all Amazon these days and they have started slipping up a little (in my opinion). I don't know if it's Amazon or their sellers, but they better get it together - they're going to have major competition VERY soon!!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  6. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

We usually don't pick up in store, but on Black Friday, hubby bought something for my son and went to pick it up at Target. They said they could tell they were in the store, but the online order hadn't been fulfilled . . . I'm guessing because of the heavy shopping traffic (which the store should accommodate for with extra employees in my opinion, but that's another issue entirely). Hubby and daughter went to the shelves and picked it up and bought it, then went online and canceled that order.

I'd honestly rather pay shipping than have to stand in line in a store. Mostly because the other people in line aren't always nice and sometimes the employees aren't either. Add to that discomfort with my back and it's a situation that doesn't make Cheryl a very happy girl. LOL!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  7. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Sorry to hear about all the trouble! We don't have a Target close by, so I've never tried site to store with them. I do it with Walmart all the time because I can buy online, get cash back back from Ebates (usually up to 10%), and then pick it up in the store. That way I don't end up wandering around picking up stuff I don't need. I've never had any trouble with it at all. At Christmas though, I'd much rather just have it delivered to my house.

8. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

Our USPS lady comes to our door to deliver...especially if it's something too heavy because she'll ask for my husband's help. That's crazy that they won't take the time to deliver it to your door. I have a friend that works for USPS here. They deliver Amazon packages on Sunday when there isn't typically mail delivery so it's weird that they won't just take their package to your door.

bestcee and QuiltyMom like this.
  9. LynnZant

LynnZant Well-Known Member

If the USPS accepts that package's weight to be delivered then they should deliver it! Sorry your carrier is a bum.

On an upside. . .my nephew went to Target on Black Friday to get a 40 some inch TV at super special price. He gets it all the way home just to discover a giant smashed spot in the screen. Drives all the way back, and of course they didn't have any of those left. He tried the next model up in price, but they didn't have any of those either. Finally they found a 60 some inch TV, and the clerk just told him to take it for the $199 price. That may have been worth all the trouble!

10. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Ugh, what a hassle. DH had a similar issue at Home Depot. It's annoying because you think you're saving time but if you have to go through that rigamarole, then it doesn't seem worth it.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  11. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

A neighbor recently posted on our neighborhood group asking if anyone had a couch on their porch. Turns out the delivery people left it at the wrong house. Like who delivers a couch when no one is home to answer the door?

We are a bit spoiled with Amazon as we have a distribution center that is local. I once bought a modem at 10pm and by 10am the next morning they were delivering it.

12. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

That's awesome, Bev. I've gotten a few things in one day, but not too often. I get Sunday deliveries frequently, though.

Karen likes this.
  13. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I generally don't ship to store but I am waiting to pick something up at Lane Bryant this week or weekend. Hopefully it's not too much of a hassle.

14. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

First off...don't you think the delivery people would double-check the couch address?! Like, who dumps a couch on a porch and just leaves?

Secondly...we have an Amazon distribution center near us. The problem isn't Amazon's locale but that our USPS carrier is not very good at correctly delivering packages. So, enjoy your speedy and correct delivery. I'll be over here ripping my hair out over missing packages marked as Delivered that sometimes show up the next day and sometimes not at all. I once had a man from another part of the city drop a package off. I thought it was a scam until he showed me the label (I don't answer my door for anyone). USPS had dropped it off at his place. It was so nice of him to bring it to me! They were replacement hinges for some kitchen cabinets, and while not a box of vital stuff, they were nice to get cuz I had 3 doors off their cabinets cuz I'd had to send back the original (broken) hinges to get the replacements for free. And what would the company have done if I'd called to say "where are my free hinges?" They'd have confirmation that they'd been delivered. It'd be my word against USPS.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  15. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I've had wonderful experiences with ship to store options around here... Sorry you haven't! It is a huge time saver!

BUT- DONT get me started on our USPS. AT LEAST weekly, the mail is in the wrong boxes- often times I get either neighbor next door's mail. We have a big stand of locked boxes & they ALL have our names on the inside so I really don't understand how that keeps happening. AND to top it off- they are TERRIBLE at delivering packages to our porches- typically they get the WRONG street (many our our address are the same number, but different street- ie- ours is 13412 Copper River lane and we have a 13412 San Juan lane just up the hill!) Our neighborhood facebook group exists primarily for people looking for packages that were delivered- but not to the right house! I've even had to call the USPS office & they even said that our neighborhood is too confusing. Ugh. THat's your job!?!?

16. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

From me, yes with Target. I will do Target pick up any day of the week! I can order online, walk in the store and get what I forgot, and the order will be ready when I check out.
    Also me: No with Walmart. Seriously, I've tried their pickup twice (not grocery) and I refuse to do it again. It was a total nightmare both times!
    The first time: the item was in stock. They said 2 hours. Great. We waited and waited for the confirmation email to go pick it up. Never came. The next day (30 hours later) Dh went to the store, found the item and the shelf and bought it. We cancelled the order. This was June.
    The second time: We ordered last Saturday(16th). As in before Black Friday and Thanksgiving. Again, the item said in stock, 2 hours. We waited. And waited. And waited. And received two delayed emails that both had a same day pickup date. Then a shipping notice that the item was being shipped. Then, finally, Tuesday the 26th - 10 days later! I finally received notice that the item was ready to pick up. The only reason I waited was it wasn't that price anywhere else and it's a Christmas present. Otherwise, ugh!

We have a distribution center, but nothing is fast. I'd rather pick up at Target.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  17. jenn mccabe

Your mail person sounds like mine. It is a HUGE problem in our neighborhood. We have a few streets that have the same house #s too so that's a big one - wrong street, and they just mix up the mail for those next door and across the street from us. They are just rushing and don't pay attention ... or really seem to care.

amien1 and QuiltyMom like this.
  18. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I haven't read the whole thread but what gets me most about your original post Jan is the phone call & how they got stuck in the script - seriously what happened to 'we value your feedback '?!

QuiltyMom and Tree City like this.
  19. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

I have an awesome local post office and I always pick USPS delivery if it is an option. FedEx and UPS seem to vary, sometimes really good (like now) and sometimes really bad (in the past), but USPS is always consistently good.

I prefer picking up in store, rather than shipping it to my house, so I do it as often as reasonable. The only time I had trouble with order-online-and-pick-up-in-store was with Wal-Mart, but they resolved it quickly and without too much fuss. (I think that would have gone better if they had a counter with a person, instead of the delivery kiosk; the difficult part was finding the right person to fix my order for me.)

Kohl's, Target, Best Buy, Staples, and Home Depot have all been really excellent.

Guitar Center didn't send the confirmation email, and when I called, they hadn't even gotten the order, but they looked it up and put it together for me to pick up *AND* offered to cancel it and sell it to me in store because they were running an in-store sale on one of my items.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  20. jenn mccabe

Update on my Kohls online order/store pickup.

I think I got another $15 Kohls cash because of it. It appeared in my wallet on my Kohls app at the beginning of the month and it expires at the end of the month. That's a lot longer than they usually give you. Weird that they didn't say why - but after my order they sent the auto email asking for feedback about my experience and I did fill them in on my mishap. So with the sale, the various coupons and all the Kohls cash - it's like I paid $33 for that Keurig machine. That's actually pretty amazing! It's the K55 model - not the fanciest model, but not one of those tiny little mini ones either.

QuiltyMom and bestcee like this.