Fun Facts | pad patter 08.09.2021

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by FarrahJobling, Aug 9, 2021.

1. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

What is a totally random fun fact you know?

I learned a long time ago that the plastic bit at the end of a shoelace is called an aglet.

I also recently learned that in Baseball, there are SEVEN ways to get on first base. Seven!

2. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

The accent mark over the e in French words is called accent aigu. The one that looks like this:[​IMG]

I learned that in three years of French, and for some reason, that particular one stuck with. I like the way "accent aigu" sounds. LOL

HavaDrPepper and FarrahJobling like this.
  3. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

My name as given to me when I was born included this accent aigu. And, when writing it I use it. But the usage of typewriters had me just using e followed by the apostrophe. And, with computers I do the same because not every font can show the accent aigu correctly. But so much of my legal paperwork just has Rene because it is hard to explain the accent aigu. And, my mother refused to spell my name Renee.

4. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Here's one that boggles my mind!
    Most elephants weigh less than the tongue of a blue whale...isn't that crazy??? Think about how big and heavy an elephant is...wow. LOL

Mrsdudds, Karen and FarrahJobling like this.
  5. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I just learned this the other day and thought it was a really cool piece of information.
    The ampersand (&) started out as the ligature of e and t, so they were connected to each other and represented the word "and". For a while it was used as the 27th letter of the alphabet. They would use the phrase "per se" to set it apart from the rest of the letters, so in reciting the alphabet, they would say "X, Y, Z, and per se and" indicating that it stood by itself. The "and per se and" morphed into ampersand and it was eventually dropped from the alphabet.

Memaw2Wm, Karen and bestcee like this.
  6. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

The reason you sometimes see Jvstice instead of Justice is because u and v were the same letter once upon a time. They were just used in different circumstances.

My favorite one? Brains mature up until about age 25. So technically - teenagers really are still brain damaged. :giggle

Memaw2Wm likes this.
  7. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I cannot wrap my mind around this! :eek: