Free Photo Organization like Picasa?

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by 3BluEyedBabies, Jan 28, 2023.

1. 3BluEyedBabies

3BluEyedBabies Falling for pumpkin ...

So, right before MOC, I reluctantly updated my old desktop from Windows 8 to Windows 10. Now Picasa isn't working very well. It took me 5 tries just to upload a couple of pictures from my camera card to my computer for yesterday's challenge. My question is, what FREE program do you all use to upload and organize your photos on your desktop? Should I just use the recommended Microsoft photo stuff that came with Windows 10? I don't even know what will happen if I get rid of Picasa because I've used it forever.

gonewiththewind likes this.
  2. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I don't know of a free program. I pay for Google Photos.

3. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

For just about forever, I have been using folders with Windows Explorer. I recently upgraded to Windows 11 when my laptop died... It doesn't do facial recognition, but you can set up tags individually in the metadata for each file if you wanted to.

4. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I still use Picasa on Windows 11 but I've never used it to upload photos from my camera, I just use it to look at my digital scrapping folders. I use the Canon software for 2 of my cameras and the 3rd one I use Windows Explorer.

And, I've tried to find something that works like Picasa since it was discontinued and no luck.

5. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

A free program available to those with an Adobe account (which is free) is Adobe Bridge. It is a bit of a resource hog, in my opinion/experience, so keep that in mind. I found it to be a great tool for organizing photos and digital supplies.

https://www.adobe.com/products/bridge.html

If you don't have an Adobe account/ID, here's the link to signing up:

https://helpx.adobe.com/manage-account/using/create-update-adobe-id.html

I'm not sure what software you are using, but if you have PSE, you also have access to the PSE Organizer. https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/how-to/organizer-overview.html

6. easyeyes4you

easyeyes4you Well-Known Member

I am purging "old" paper stuff... Working slowly through folders seeing what I thought important enough to save... Yesterday, I happened across instructions for using LR after V5... I have LR CC, have not yet looked at it, but if you happen to have LR that might be a route.. I came here looking for what options are out there.. .I do have Bridge, and could not function without it, however, it was a major fail when I tried to organize with it a few years ago, and uses huge amounts of memory and keeps crashing, with the new updated version...