Folder view?

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by Kat, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

So this was accidental. I unzipped a folder and boom, the folder popped up as the preview (the file titled folder.jpg in the kit)... it's awesome. I want to do that on all of them. So I tried with the next kit and used a duplicate of the preview and renamed it to folder.jpg.... but it didn't work. (on LBW+SB SnowScape)

Does anyone know how to do this? I am on a macbook pro. I know I've heard of ways to do this in the past but never tried it. I don't want to change file associations though. I just unzipped and this one popped right up.

screengrab-folder.png

2. merank

merank Working my way through scrumdiddlyumptious bars

I also have a Macbook Pro. Here's what I do:
    Open the preview image in the preview app
    cmd-a to select all and cmd-c to copy
    Right click on the folder icon you want to change and choose get info
    Click on the little icon at the top and cmd-v to paste

BTW, folder.jpg is a windows thing. Just Jaimee must have a Mac. I love that her stuff already has the preview as the folder icon!

Added: I just realized - no right click on Mac (sorry, I'm on my PC at work right now). I think it's option click or you can select the folder and then go to file>get info.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  3. Kat

Okay that worked, but if I want to change back to default for any reason, is there a way to do it?

4. merank

I think you just click on the icon under get info and cmd-x to cut the image

5. merank

If that doesn't work, you can copy a regular folder icon from get info of any folder and then paste it in the one you want to replace.

6. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I like that look too! I didn't know you could do that when I had a Mac. You don't have to convert the image? That's great! When I had a Mac, I was using Photos, and I was able to store it using the Preview by right clicking and using it as the Album Cover.

Now, with Windows, I have a website I use (http://icoconvert.com/) and I make my folder icon by using the Preview that comes with the kit. Then I go into the Folder settings, and change the view. Similar but different. :)

rdjrneace likes this.
  7. Kat

Okay here's the after! I'm in looooove..... screengrab2.png

Karen, Mylinn and bestcee like this.
  8. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

You have discovered my favorite digiscrap organizational tip! I was so excited about it when I figured it out, I blogged about it and explained how, with screenshots. Click here to read the post! :D And, yes, I use a Mac too.

scrpprgirl, merank and Kat like this.
  9. Kat

It was super easy!! I followed the instructions and boom! Try it! I'm going to seriously go nuts now organizing!

merank and jk703 like this.
  10. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Really? I thought it was a Mac thing. I always delete it on my PC because it does nothing.

11. merank

I thought it was odd when you asked about changing them back. I actually wrote in my response that you won't go back once you start changing icons, but then I deleted it. I actually have custom icons for just about everything on my Mac.

I always thought Windows uses folder.jpg as the image for the folder that it's in. You might just have to change your view settings to see them. I always delete it if there's another preview file or rename it if there's not.

12. Mylinn

Mylinn What's that old bat up to now??

Yes yes, for windows, is there something better than this? I can get a specific pic to show by using properties-customize folder. Screen Shot 01-25-18 at 05.58 PM.PNG

13. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

OMG Jenn, thanks so much for this. I have been trying to get something like this for windows and it has been driving me crazy. I absolutely love this. Now I just need to do my hoard of digi stash like this. You are my savior.

jk703 and bestcee like this.
  14. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Did you see Jenn's post above? That's for Windows.

Me too!
    Windows used to use the folder.jpg back in XP. But it hasn't worked that way in 8 or 10. Instead it looks like Mylinn's post above. Totally ugly and worthless.

Mylinn likes this.
  15. Mylinn

@bestcee, thanks!! I had missed that part of her post. I'll blame low blood sugar but it may have been a doggie distraction and poor memory = losing my place, lol.

bestcee likes this.
  16. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

@Mylinn - I love your suggestion but am having trouble getting it to show the photo on the front of my folder. With the folder selected I went into properties and then customize. I chose the preview photo and then hit "apply." Followed by "okay". But when I go back to look the photo does not show on the front of the folder. I am using Photoshop CS2. Any help you can give will be appreciated.

Mylinn likes this.
  17. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

@jk703 - I tried this method but must have missed a step in the process. Could you do a step-by-step? When the converted icon comes back as a download, what format is it? Although it stated "downloaded", I could find nothing in my download folder or in the original folder from which I selected my photo. I have Windows 7 and Photoshop CS2.
    Thanks for any help.

18. Mylinn

@flowersgal Here are the full steps to my method:

right click - properties
    click customize
    then under Folder Pictures - click choose file and choose
    click apply
    then ok

it's a pain and my windows 10 keeps forgetting sigh but not every time and tis better than opening all the folders, lol.
    Haven't tried the icon one yet, been scrapping grin. Will check in after I do.

19. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I'm a Mac person and used to do the @merank method. Now I use an free App...yes, "There's an App for that!". Img2icon. I linked the app to the cnet site as googling brought up so many links that had way too many potential links to choose. I've used this since an much earlier version, maybe 5 or 6 years ago. Simple and easy. For me it's the next step after downloading products and unzipping them.

merank likes this.
  20. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

Windows 10 users who are having trouble with folder previews-- @bestcee @Mylinn @flowersgal I have no idea why it works for me and not you, but all I do is change a preview's name to folder.jpg and it shows as the preview. (I also did it like this in several earlier versions of Windows--since they first added the capability, it has worked for me.) Maybe Google has the answer...Google knows everything!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    HeatherB likes this.