FOGO? | Pad Patter 20/Nov

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, Nov 20, 2020.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

The next council over has been doing this for at least a couple of years but our local government area council has just started doing FOGO - the regular green bin now takes Food Organics as well as the Garden Organics we've put in it for decades. Does your area have a food organics waste pickup collection?
    [​IMG]

bestcee likes this.
  2. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

We’ve had food waste collections here for a year or two maybe now. Between food waste, normal recycling and soft plastic recycling we hardly need to put out our normal bin.

bellbird likes this.
  3. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I'm not surprised NZ has been ahead of Aust in enviro stuff!

4. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I wish we had a food organics bin! We don't, which means we have a homemade compost bin in our backyard. It doesn't smell (because we're careful what goes in it), but still...it isn't pretty lol.

We do have a yard waste bin, which allows us to get rid of large branches or other yard waste (not food waste...so it seems like the "garden organics" part of your FOGO bin lol). They turn it into mulch or fertilizer and sell it, which means money for the city. I approve of that. ;)

bellbird likes this.
  5. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

No, and I suspect that would be very unusual in the US. In my county we only recycle things like paper, cardboard, metal cans, and plastics. No organic waste at all. There's a day once a week when they'll pick up yard waste like raked leaves or trimmed branches, but it has to be packed in clear garbage bags. I have no idea what they do with it.

bestcee and bellbird like this.
  6. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Each city or area is different though but more and more are doing food waste recycling now

bellbird likes this.
  7. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

Until the beginning of 2020, we were only allowed to do garden and fruit and vegetable waste in our green container ... Now we can also put meat and fish waste in it ... but without legs or bones ...I have not yet heard of milk, yoghurt surpluses ... I usually do not have them and animal waste I have no idea ...

Since 2020, we are also allowed to put butter dishes, yoghurt pots and all kinds of plastic into our PMD (plastic, metal packaging and drink packs) ... that saves a lot in residual waste ...

bellbird likes this.
  8. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

***off topic: the word fogo means fire in Portuguese, so I just came here worried with the thread....
    sorry to interrupt your discussion! LOL

FarrahJobling, Tree City and wvsandy like this.
  9. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

Oh, my, @Ferdy! I'm glad that's not what this thread is about! :-) I saw FOGO and thought that along the lines of FOMO it would be Fear Of Going Out! :lol

There's no separation of organics here. We have one bin for recycling and another for trash. We don't even have separate yard waste pickup; it just goes in with the regular trash.

10. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

our food and garden waste are two separate collections. We have 5 bins:
    * recylcable plastics and metals
    * paper and card
    * garden waste
    * food waste
    * other household waste.

Food waste is collected weekly. The rest are fortnightly on rotation (household week 1, the rest on week 2)

bellbird likes this.
  11. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Nope, not here in Virginia. I admire how advanced Australia and New Zealand are!

And like @Ferdy and @KimJ I tried to guess what the subject line meant, and I guessed the same as Kim. :lol2

bestcee, bellbird, KimJ and 1 other person like this.
  12. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

@KimJ I'm suffering with that, Fear Of Going Out! LOL!!

well, here in Brazil there is a very small system of recycling things, I think that some small towns are succesfull with this organic separation of products.
    We do separate glass, plastic, aluminium cans and once a week there's a collector truck to pick up things...

bellbird and KimJ like this.
  13. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Not here either but my city does have a "city farm/compost facility" where residents can take their yard/garden waste, tree limbs, grass clippings, leaves and other acceptable materials. The city also does a pickup of leaves during the fall as long as they are on the side of the road. They do not accept tree stumps but most people just grind those down into mulch.

My neighborhood has had a leaf collection service for ever since it is not in the city limits so they won't collect our leaves. Residents of the neighborhood take care of it and those in the heavily wooded area are the ones in it. My neighbor that mows my yard works it and takes care of my leaves for me. I would bet they then dispose of the leaves at the city farm.

We do have the recycling of plastic, paper, cardboard and aluminum in bins that the refuse department picks up. Other items can also be recycled but we have to take those to a specific location (plastic bags and glass among other items).

bellbird likes this.
  14. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I'm in the Fear Of Going Out group. We don't recycle food waste but we put most of ours in our big compost bin I got about a decade from our local...Enviromental branch of State Government? But this year once into more of a Covid lockdown, I stopped as it seemed we had much much less food waste and many more fruit flies in the house. Our temps have been much warmer than in previous years. :(

We do recycle paper, plastic and cloth (if we had that) and with more on line orders our big bin gets filled most weeks. There is another bin for trash (except metal which has to be picked up by request) and usually 1-2 bins of yard waste, EXCEPT bamboo which is considered trash. So...we have quite a few bins put out every Tuesday night but not as much as our neighbors. ;)

bellbird likes this.
  15. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I wish. The best I can do is a home compost bin, but I can't put everything in it. It's better than nothing, though.

bellbird likes this.
  16. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

oh no sorry!! i didn't think of other interpretations (although Fear Of Going Out is probably a totally real thing this year especially with covid) and i'm really hoping this fire season won't be as bad as last summer in any country!

KimJ likes this.
  17. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

That has been part of the reason various councils here have given for not doing FOGO and not doing more in terms of recycling, they reckon 3 bins is too hard for most people (and when i was maybe a teenager, i can't really remember) they had dividers in the 'yellow' recycle paper, plastics etc bin and plastics went in one section and newspaper and cardboard etc in a different section but it all got tipped in the one truck and just jumbled and they'd have to re-sort it again at the depot but some places they said people just couldn't handle having to divide their recyclables up and were just shoving it in whatever spot. I remember one animal park we visited a while back had an otter or similar critter (maybe a ferret) manage to do a sorting rubbish trick with different waste/recyclables and different coloured bins, like surely if they can manage to figure out where it should go, humans should be more than capable!
    I'm always amazed at what other countries do and what 'normal' is there. i love that you can manage a 5 bin rotation!

Angela Toucan likes this.
  18. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

now this intrigues me! bamboo, as in plant cuttings, aren't treated as yard/plant material waste?? is it because it can grow from cuttings and is a pest or competes with native plant species?? i've never thought about it but i'm surprised it can't go in there. (some of the paper plates & alternatives to single use plastic cutlery here are now bamboo based & is backyard compostable - big improvement!)

19. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

I was also thinking Fear of going out. Lol

KimJ likes this.
  20. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

There is a place here that will pick up organic waste, but it’s not part of the regular waste management

we compost our own organic waste. Mike has a system of his own in the back yard.