Flying Help

Discussion in 'Photography Pad' started by mrspotts, Jan 19, 2015.

1. mrspotts

mrspotts Could I get a planner for my planner?

So I'm going to be flying in the near future, and I have never flown before with my DSLR. Can anyone give me a few pointers or tips on how to prepare to fly with it and how to keep it safe while flying? Is it going to be safe going through baggage check? Ugh I'm sooo nervous because this DSLR is important to me and anything happened to it I would cry. :cry

I do plan on using my small messenger style camera bag to take it with me. I also plan to take it as a carry on. Thats all I've got planned. Help me out ladies!

2. SirScrapalot

SirScrapalot Tackling my to-do list with gusto

I've never had any issues with mine through baggage check, and I always carry mine on with me. I keep it in a specific camera bag and make sure I am careful.

3. Cristina

Cristina Handmade with love, actually

I just keep it in my handbag usually. Extra lens and all. It stays with me at all times.

[​IMG]

4. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

I would make sure the battery is charged and you have a memory card in it, in case they want to verify it is what it is

5. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I think you'll be good. I just take my camera sling bag on as my purse/carry-on and I put it in a tub and it slides right through the baggage x-ray machine. There's no banging around or anything, so it should be safe. :)

7. jaye

jaye My other car is a Zamboni!

same here, I keep it (them) in a carry on and have never had an issue.

8. mrspotts

mrspotts Could I get a planner for my planner?

Thanks ladies and gent for easing my mind! Helpful tips all around.

9. violetsnana

violetsnana New Member

I work for an airline, and what everyone above said is just right. My only caution is to make sure that your camera bag (or what ever you carry your DSLR in) is small enough to put under the seat in front in of you. The overhead bins fill up fast these days, as no one wants to pay extra to check their bag, can't blame them, but you DO NOT want to be put in the position to have to check your camera. :-/

10. NancyBeck

NancyBeck Happy resident of Pollyville

I always carry mine on with me too and put it in a carry on that will fit under the seat. It's actually the "Shoot Sac", which doubles for my purse when I travel and has a side compartment for my camera.

11. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

I wouldn't check it. My carry on is my camera bag.

12. JillW

JillW I love lavend ... zzzzzz ...

I am always pretty paranoid when traveling with my DSLR as well - I always carry it on - and keep it in a camera back pack type of case. I believe one time I did have to take the card and batteries out for them to inspect.
    Good luck!!