FitBit Decisions

Discussion in 'Fit Pad' started by LoveItScrapIt, Apr 24, 2018.

1. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

Okay, I want to take the FitBit plunge. Never had one so I don't know anything. I did have a cheapo one that never stayed on my wrist so there's that...ROFL

Tell me the good, bad and otherwise. What about the straps? I need something that's gonna stay on my wrist see above...lol

2. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

I have a FitBit Blaze and I love it. I've had it for a year now and have only had one issue with it (and I am pretty sure it is just me... my family all has the FitBit Blaze and I am the only one with the issue). When I exercise and get really sweaty, I get a rash underneath the band. I do have extremely sensitive skin though, and like I said, no one else on my family has this problem.

Anyhow, there is so much I love about it. I upgraded from a FitBit Flex because of the additional features of the Blaze. It counts floors, heart rate, calories, and steps. It tracks sleep and tells you how much time you spend in four sleep stages (awake, REM, light, and deep sleep). Quite honestly, the detailed sleep tracker is probably my favorite thing. My daughter likes to track her exercise and enters the type she's doing before starting for more accurate tracking. She also likes to do guided breathing exercises with it.

The Blaze disattaches from the band for charging. As for the band itself, I have had no issues with wear or coming off. It clasps like a lot of watches which is a ton more secure than the way my FitBit Flex clasped (I accidentally pulled that thing off all.the.time). We're all still using our original bands because they've held up so well.

Oh- I will add that we bought a pack of screen protectors to protect the fact of the Blaze. I'm still using the one I put on a year ago and my husband and daughter are each on their second I believe. They are cheap and a good addition.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  3. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I have a Charge 2. It is smaller than the Blaze and costs less. It has less features than the Blaze, but it does have the ones I wanted (steps, heart rate, sleep tracking). The bands are replaceable and there are cool ones on Amazon.

My current and favorite band is a silver metal mesh with a magnet closure that allows me to tighten it as I want.
    [​IMG]

bestcee and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  4. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

@GlazeFamily3 I had the rashes with both my Charge HR’s as well.

I’ve had the Flex, Charge HR and now the Alta (for the past 4 days). I prefer seeing numbers so the flex didn’t really work for me. The actual Charge HR was great (didn’t need the HR function but was the best deal at the time), the bands on the other hand were a nightmare - rashes, band splitting and peeling, band falling off etc. Now I have the Alta, chosen cause I can replace the band.. it’s too soon to have an opinion on it as I’ve only really worn it today but so far I like it apart from the type of catch it has, prefer a buckle but I’ll survive.

5. BevG

FYI - My dd is thinking of getting a Fitbit so we were comparing models last night. It appears the Blaze has been replaced. Not sure which model replaced it.

6. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

I had a Fitbit way back when they were little clip-ons that you could stick in your pocket; I wear both a watch and a bracelet and I didn't want another band. My husband is the same way; he has one that he keeps in his pocket. (I always clipped mine to my bra. LOL I gave it up when I bought an Apple Watch.)

I mention it because if you have issues with bands, you might want to consider one that you don't wear on your wrist, like the Fitbit Zip, if that records enough information for you. My Fitbit One (which I believe is discontinued) had stairs and activity (how often I moved), in addition to steps and distance and I expect the Zip to have at least that much.

7. LoveItScrapIt

Thanks ladies. I will definitely take this all into consideration.

@sakura-panda - does the Apple watch do all that a FitBit can? I was also thinking of a Smart Watch type too.

8. Jems

Jems Well-Known Member

i have the Charge HR ive had it a few years now the strap broke but i bought a funky one from amazon and i love it!

9. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

I don't know what all a Fitbit can do -- I had an early one, before the larger displays were available -- and I know my Watch does more than I pay attention to. I bought the watch for text notifications, so that I don't have to dig out my phone only to find out it's a coupon or a shipping notice. I had not planned to give up my Fitbit for it, but when I saw how well the activity tracking worked, I switched over.

I used my Fitbit for activity, steps, distance, and stairs; my Watch displays activity, steps, distance, and reminds me once an hour to stand up and move around. It syncs to the Health app on my phone, which uses data from my watch to calculate flights climbed (stairs), exercise minutes, and heart rates. (There may be more; that is all I noticed during a quick check.)

10. BevG

One thing we are considering is if she needs the heart rate tracking. It helps for cardio and for detailef sleep patterns.

11. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I have an Apple watch and love it. As far as my needs go, it does everything a Fit Bit does, and I can just wear it as a watch if I want to. I got the man's size, because I like big watches. I also replaced the band with a cool, black, magnetic band. I love mine!

12. LoveItScrapIt

13. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

I had a fitbit flex for a little over a year until I forgot to take it off when I went diving. Water resistant does not equal waterproof, LOL. RIP fitbit.

Now, I have an Apple watch. I can't remember who asked about if the apple watch is better, but my opinion having owned both is that it's far better. It wasn't cheap, but if I had known all of the things it does, I would have bought it long ago. The fitness tracking is better for what I like - seeing the 3 rings that I need to close by the end of the day is a really fast visual way for me to look at the watch, see what I still need to do, then do it. And the other features, like being able to answer my phone, voice to text, control the camera on my iPhone, super-cool. I haven't even tipped the iceberg of what I can do with it, but I'm very happy.

LoveItScrapIt and Cherylndesigns like this.
  14. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

This. Except my metal magnetic clasp one is a blush pink or gold pink whatever that fancy schmancy color is :flirty

My Fitbit Charge HR 2 lets me see my text notifications. But I bet not as well as the Apple Watch.

For me, the deciding factor between models was the display and the size. My ring can drive me crazy when I work on the computer. I needed something that fits just right or I'll take it off! I do love that I can easily change out the bands on the Charge 2, as I was one of the band broke Charge people.

15. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I love seeing those three rings close every day! It tracks all kinds of activity. I'm with you, I haven't figured out much, but I haven't had mine all that long.

LoveItScrapIt and bestcee like this.
  16. Mylinn

Mylinn What's that old bat up to now??

I have the first Fitbit..?charge? It works mostly okay. Bought a face cover and battery charge cover (sweat and skin cells kept getting into the poor design). It is not completely accurate. Counts steps so long as I am moving and under ?10 mph, so I get credit for lots of backing up and driving in town, etc. Misses some staircases. However, I needed it mainly to monitor HR for panic frequency (poor memory) and sleep amounts/schedule. For those it works well enough. BFF who sold it to me (to upgrade to the 'best' model a year ago) loves hers. My doc got the same 'best' model and reacted to the metal on all 3 she tried. Don't know what she finally ended up using.

17. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I bought the Charge 2 a couple months ago after I broke the band on my Charge HR for the second time. It's perfect for my needs. I considered an Apple watch, but I really don't need that much stuff going on on my arm. My husband has one and loves it... but is constantly distracted by the notifications. All I need to know is who is calling and what my texts are without having to dig out my phone.... everything else can wait :-)

2018iNSD.png

18. tkradtke

@BevG and @bestcee ... do you have a link to your bands? I was looking at getting a new one soon as the black band I have is looking a bit "heavy" now that it's getting to be short sleeves weather. I was looking on Amazon and was completely overwhelmed by the options and reading reviews.

19. BevG

20. tkradtke

BevG likes this.