Finding Mojo again

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by littlekiwi, Mar 15, 2022.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

@HavaDrPepper If I didn’t scrap for challenges I literally would not be able to buy anything at all thanks to exchange rate so I tend to scrap with challenges front of mind if I’m doing them that month (I wanted to do April but the month vanished on me faster than I’d like).

2. littlekiwi

I have dusted some of the rust off the mojo and attempted the template challenge but I think I’ve changed it soo much it no longer resembles the template!

LynnG and rach3975 like this.
  3. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

So, do both. Scrap for challenges keeping in mind what you can use and scrap for yourself using what you love.

LynnG likes this.
  4. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

I don't know if this would fit your style or feel limiting, but if you're struggling in the moment to find the right kits take some time to identify kits when you're not scrapping. If you have a list of things to scrap, include a preview of what kits in your stash would work. If you don't have a list like that, maybe tag or list some kits by theme (eg, go to kits for scrapping shows and movies, go to kits for scrapping a hard day, etc.) When I'm struggling with mojo, the more decisions that are made ahead of time, the better!

LynnG and Cath_ like this.
  5. littlekiwi

That’s probably a good idea to do something like that anyway given my stash is currently not tagged in any way.

I think a major issue I’m having is I’m not liking the layouts that I’m working on at the moment after nearly 3 months off…seems as though every time I scrap I get 1-2 that just don’t flow for what ever reason, 1 I don’t mind and 1 I absolutely love but I really struggle with getting through those first few “creatively”.

Example being, I worked on the template challenge last night, struggled through it somewhat, changed so much of it I’m not sure it’s even the challenge any more, stopped just shy of finishing but saved the PSD file and even today I’m not sure what I can do to “fix” it without totally changing the layout I am doing - I deleted the photo spots as I don’t have any photos for this particular story which probably hasn’t helped the situation either.

6. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

you could put back, and write photo here on it, make it a quick page for someone to use???

7. NBK-Design

NBK-Design Designer

Have you explored our blog hop Jennifer? Maybe that brings you some joy. Just following the hop and check out the packs without saying you need to scrap with it.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Cath_ likes this.
  8. littlekiwi

I have downloaded it but not yet unzipped it, I used my computer time yesterday to attempt to scrap.

NBK-Design likes this.
  9. NBK-Design

NBK-Design Designer

Maybe the first step only unzipping. Without any thought of scrapping. Nice cup of tea or coffee and unzip the files and check folders. More not.
    I know that by myself we always force us to follow rules. When I have a file. I must unzip it and then immediately work on it. Make a page with it.
    Working at a advertising agency I have that daily. I learned that when I unzip. Check the files and then close the folder again and start something else. I often get an idea while working on something else.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

10. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think

I do this. Unzip straight away & click through all the files both to be sure they downloaded correctly & to get a full idea of what’s in the kit. Sometimes it sparks ideas as I see specific elements or words or patterns or other times it just puts those products in my head so I know what I have the next time I can scrap.

NBK-Design likes this.
  11. littlekiwi

I honestly feel like I’ve forgotten how to scrap! I sat down the other week and ended up with a half finished layout I’m not in love with, and yesterday as a stress release I tried to do a page using a new kit that I’d just bought and ended up giving up after putting maybe two things on the page!

gonewiththewind likes this.
  12. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I have to share that I feel like I've forgotten how to design! With my own personal health issues, I've managed to at least continue scrapping, but designing and all that goes along with that has taken a back set as I take care of myself. I'm exhausted from doing that.

My only advice at this point, being in a bit of a desert of my own, is to take a deep breath and know that creativity will bubble up again. This has happened to me before (maybe not quite this bad) and it's always come around.

Sending (HUGS)

bestcee and cfile like this.
  13. HavaDrPepper

Don't beat yourself up about it. It happens to all of us at one time or another. I had a long dry spell in 2016 and 2017. 2016 was a bad year for me emotionally with the loss of both dogs in December 2015 and Dad passing away in June of 2016. Scrapping was not something I had any interest in both because of the emotions and other responsibilities that I had to settle the estate not to mention stuff going on at work. And, I was just too busy in 2017 with other things to scrap. I would do a few pages here and there but my heart wasn't in it. The mojo finally returned in late 2019 but even now I have periods where I don't scrap. This year has been like that... days/weeks when I scrap a lot and then times when I don't.

You have been through a lot in the last year. Don't add the worry about scrapping to everything else.

14. littlekiwi

@HavaDrPepper I want to scrap to give me my creative time back now that life has settled quite a bit so while there isn’t pressure per say, it’s something I want to get back in the swing of doing at least weekly….the last time I scrapped was mid February!

15. HavaDrPepper

I know that's what you want to do but it sounds to me like it is causing you to stress about it. And, it is hard to be creative when you stress about being creative because I hear you saying your pages aren't what you envision. You have a couple options. 1) pitch what you've done 2) accept it as being complete. Either way move on whether it is scrapping something else or taking a break.

I would love to be scrapping right now but due to vision issues because of allergies, my eyes get extremely tired when I'm on the computer too long. So I'm on a break and hoping the allergies calm down soon (darn walnut trees blooming).

16. littlekiwi

@HavaDrPepper I’m not sure stress is the right thing, it’s more now that life is becoming a bit more “normal” for me I want to scrap. I find I can get started with pages but going beyond maybe photos, a template or sketch or scraplift idea, a few papers and maybe a word strip or piece of word art, I struggle to “finish” and/or like what I’ve started enough to keep trying other ideas. Maybe I struggle because I use templates and take most if not everything off then start - even dressed down templates are a bit much for me. Or maybe it’s because so much of the enjoyment of scrapping previously was zapped because of the stress of my old laptop and my memories of those times. I’ve now been on my new PC for 3 months and love it but only have a “half finished” layout to show for it which I’m not in love with.

17. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

@littlekiwi I suppose not having your files where they were, or simular, has alot to do with your fustration

18. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

I have a pin board of layouts I love and may want to lift ... I also search galleries for inspiration. Than I go through photos and find what I want to scrap.
    I tend to write letters to my kids in layouts
    Or tell a story of what's going on in my life
    I am one-to-br bluntly honest and scrap the good and the bad...

19. HavaDrPepper

@littlekiwi You say you aren't stressed but you are showing lots of frustration. IMO, frustration is a step down from stress.

going beyond maybe photos, a template or sketch or scraplift idea, a few papers and maybe a word strip or piece of word art, I struggle to “finish” and/or like what I’ve started

At this point, just consider it done and move on. Know why I'm able to do so many layouts in a year? They are simple. Template to start and use one kit. Photos, papers, a few elements and I'm done. 99% of the time I delete some of the items on the template. Do I like them all? Not always but in my case I wanted to tell a story and I've done that. Story told and I move on.

I'm sorry you are struggling but dwelling on it isn't going to help.

20. littlekiwi

I finally managed to find the perfect kit for the photo/story I wanted to tell and OMG it made the biggest difference....the layout just flowed. I think I was possibly trying to force ideas and thats never great for creativity.

[​IMG]

gonewiththewind, bestcee and Cath_ like this.