Finding Basics

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by littlekiwi, Oct 24, 2021.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I tag previews in ACDSee by Designer, theme mainly and for certain paper/element packs (stitching, labels etc) I tag type of item as well. I also tag alpha packs and templates too. My problem is I can’t find basics like stitching, labels, tags, staples etc that are hidden in kits How would you overcome this because it’s a case of “I know I have x but where is it”?

2. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

I don't tag each item of each kit. I only tag previews. I'd say if you needed a stitch and can't find one in your current kit, go find a pack of stitches you purchased and use that instead. It might be faster than digging through each designer's kit for one stitch. And at least here, most designers won't be mad if you have to mix a couple different elements for their challenges. I can't speak to other stores.

But that's just what I would do.

I use windows explorer, too, so if I am working on a page for a specific designer and I don't see what I need in the kit I'm using, I might go out to the designer's main folder and type "stitch" in the windows search tool bar. Most designers these days do label their element pieces so this seems to work for me, too.

I have purchased well over 7000 different items between all shops and many years (judging by the number of preview images in my previews folder), so I know I have something of what I need somewhere.

BevG, bestcee and littlekiwi like this.
  3. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

I have windows. I did a search in each shoppe for stitches. I then make a folder and duplicate all those items and put them in there. I actually have folders for each shop that are named all the doilies, all the stitches, all the butterflies, etc.

4. littlekiwi

Ok, maybe just searching in Windows Explorer for those sorts of things might be the way to go. I tried searching from within ACDSee and it didn’t really work as I’d hoped.

5. littlekiwi

@klee73010 the issue is more that unless things are somewhat tagged I don’t realise they are there if that makes sense. I may just end up adding more tags to previews as I tend to mix and match a fair bit.

6. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I used the search feature in my Documents, which is where I keep my digital kits.

7. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

because I've been tagging since I first started out I tag all my elements and papers. I like tagging everything in a kit when I unzip - this helps me get to know the kit. So for me finding things is relatively easy. I do have some goto CU packs of buttons, fasteners and stitches - these are quick and easy for adding to a kit in a hurry.

8. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

There's a way to search I thought even if something isn't tagged.

Cheryl? @gonewiththewind didn't you show me how to search that includes file names?

9. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

I have a very low sophistication method - I use the search function in my parent folder and type in a "staple" "stitch" or whatever I'm looking for - it works with both PCs and Macs. Designers are awesome about labeling their elements, so it makes it easy to filter them out. This method works for me because I'm usually not searching more than 500 kits, so I might get 100 staples and I can view them all with a quick scroll. I also have a few that I commonly re-use specifically tagged and have started using Cheryl's library method (there is a post in the Learning Pad), as well. Good luck, I hope you find something that works for you! It's always interesting to me how different do things!

cfile likes this.
  10. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I have a Favorites folder on my hard drive where I keep my most-used basics like that so that I don't have to dig around if the kit I'm using doesn't have one.

11. littlekiwi

That would be awesome if there was a way.....maybe I'm just not doing it right which is highly likely I think!

12. bestcee

Okay, I'm not sure how you are doing it, but this is what I did and it found all the same staples that Windows search found.
    ACDSee 2018/Windows:
    1. Use the Search pane. Mine is on the right, but your screen might be set up differently. If you can't see it, go to the top and choose Panes. Make sure "search" is clicked to show up.
    2. Put what you are searching for in the first field under "Search for files or folders named"
    3. Choose Entire database (might be overwhelming and take a long time!) or Specific folders and categories. I did specific folders/categories.
    4. I then picked a folder. Since I organize by store-> designer, I limited my search to just Soco for this example. I clicked "Add" and navigated to Soco's folder on my computer. (I did repeat this using my TLP folder, and it still worked! Found 498 staples.)
    5. Then, hit "Start" at the bottom.

Screenshot-2021-10-26-23.17.jpg

If you need more visual steps, let me know and I'll do a better walkthrough. But this screenshot should show all the steps filled in.

13. bestcee

Side note: Once I had this search done, I went in and added "Staple" tag to all of them. I figured why not? It only took another second, and it means I have almost 500 staples ready to choose from!

14. littlekiwi

Thanks @bestcee, I’ll give those instructions a go when I’m next on my laptop.

bestcee likes this.
  15. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

If you are just using the QUICK SEARCH function that's located at the top right of your screen, you have about three options for QUICK SEARCH. Just click on the down arrow at the right of the QUICK SEARCH box, and then choose SET OPTIONS. From there, you can choose to INCLUDE FILE NAMES, INCLUDE CATEGORIES, and INCLUDE CONTENTS OF FOLDERS.

For the full SEARCH panel, go to EDIT > SEARCH (or use shortcut F3). You can choose FILES AND TEXT, CATEGORIES AND FOLDERS, and PROPERTIES. I have found searching is SLOOOOOWWWWWWW with ACDSee18. I don't know if it's improved or not in more recent releases.

bestcee likes this.
  16. littlekiwi

well it kind of worked, I feel like it didn't find quite a bit though which is annoying. If I search in Windows Explorer for example I have 258 "staple" items, through the ACDSee search, I found 14 so not sure what I'm doing wrong. It's the same for pretty much every thing I'm searching through ACDSee....far less items show up than in explorer.

17. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I do as you do Sheri :) only a few designers I have an issue with that do not label that way, so otherwise it is perfect :)

SeattleSheri likes this.
  18. bestcee

I do this often for things like staples or cameras. But what about word art? Or flairs that have a camera and are named flair?:think

I'm trying to find the least work solution to not having things I really liked when I bought the kit disappear into my hard drive. :-)

cfile likes this.
  19. bestcee

It takes ACDSee about 30 seconds to 1 minute longer than Windows search for me, was that your experience too?

20. bestcee

Have you catalogued your kits? I've done the right click, catalog on all my TLP kits. Maybe that's the difference?

Because I had them find the exact same amount.