Finally Done!! Feeling Stupid

Discussion in 'Project Life/365/52' started by jaye, Aug 6, 2015.

1. jaye

jaye My other car is a Zamboni!

ok, so for the first part I have finally finished my album from our trip to Florida in 2013 (I am however only up to March in our Yearly Album and we won't even discuss where I am for 2014). It's been ordered and I should have it in a couple of weeks.

Where I feel stupid is using Shutterfly, am I the only one who has issues trying to set up a photobook? I did one for my daily December 2014 without issue but for some reason I could not get my pages to work for the 12x12, I ended up going with Blurb who I have used before for a 7x7 album that I was pleased with.

Any suggestions in what size to make my layouts so they fit and not cut off? I even had issues uploading the pages.

2. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Yay.. slowly and surely you will get it done! Be proud of what you have accomplished. There is only so much we can squeeze into our days!

I scrap 12 x 12 or 12 x 24... BUT I leave about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch on ALL sides (or each 12 x 12 page) that I knowingly think will be cut off. I don't have text or a photo in that area, so I know nothing important will really get cut off. When I printed, it turned out ok. I set up my layouts to show the guides anytime I scrap. I think I have an old tutorial somewhere... I'll look and PM you.

Here are two printed albums... I think you should be able to see these, since we are friends.
    https://www.facebook.com/jennifer.marione/media_set?set=a.3893765873749.2167721.1567130705&type=3

This one has both the digital pages and then the printed pages in the same album, so it's easy to see what was chopped. https://www.facebook.com/jennifer.m...0202501059718893.1073741826.1567130705&type=3

They have a template with the information... check that out here - https://www.shutterfly.com/digitalscrapbook/scrapbook/specs_scrapbook.jsp

3. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Yay for getting your book ordered!

Boo for the Shutterfly problems. I have used Shutterfly to print all of my books with no problem... until this week. I have always used the digiscrap option and it's always had blank, unformatted pages to place my pages into. But this week (did they update something?) my default pages were random one photo templates and when I changed it to what I thought was the plain 12x12 page, it would work on one side, but wouldn't on the other. The right side would always show up zoomed way into one spot on my layout instead of dropping it in as a full sized 12x12. It was extremely frustrating, especially since this was an in progress book that was working perfectly before. Is that what you were experiencing? I thought it was just me and was going to try again before I contacted costumer service.

As for not getting things cut off, it's depended on the template for me. Some leave enough edge that they print perfectly with nothing cut off, but others I have to adjust. I usually select everything but my background paper and reduce to 97% (or less, if needed) before flattening. At 97%, I've never had anything cut off, but on some template sets, the pockets do come close to the edge.

4. jaye

Thanks Jenn!

Yes Tracie, that is exactly what I was experiencing. It literally took me most of the day and I had my pages all ready to go. I must not be reducing mine enough so I ended up doing the white border around the page which works as my background paper was white.

5. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

First of all. YAY for a new album! Regardless of when the memories are from, they are now documented and ready to be viewed forever! I love that.

Second, I'm sorry about the Shutterfly thing. I've always printed my albums from them (b/c of the frequent 50% off sales) and the last one was a couple of months ago. I had no problem at all with it using the digiscrap album option. If they've changed it, I'm sure they will hear about it and change it back.

So, no advice. Sorry. I hope you're happy with your new blurb album (I've never used them). Sometimes it's fun when the memories are older :).

6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I just tried putting together a Shutterfly book about two weeks ago too and saw all the same problems that Tracie is talking about. It is SUPER annoying! I was even thinking about going into one of my old books and saving a new copy of that and starting with that as a base because the new updates are just awful. Why would anyone ever want every picture zoomed in like that? AND the default now is to autocorrect the colors on every page. No! I have already done that and want to turn that off for the whole book. It was taking me so much time, I just gave up in annoyance and my pages are done and ready to fill a whole book. I have used Shutterfly for a decade and this is the first time I was so annoyed that I gave up.

I'm taking a mental break from it for a few months because as Jen said... they'll hear about it and I'm sure it'll be fixed the next time I try to finish my book. :)

7. jaye

Tracie and Karen, you just made me feel a whole better knowing that it wasn't just a me issue :). I have used Shutterfly before without issue and have a book by Blurb, pleased with both. I have also used Blacks (Canadian company) and it is fabulous as well.

My Blurb book (had a 10% coupon) is about the same price as the Shutterfly one would have been so I lucked out. Hopefully they will fix the issue and go back to what it was like before.

8. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Jaye... it made me feel better to know I wasn't alone too! I seriously thought I had lost my mind or had screwed up some setting somewhere. I was getting so frustrated!

Looks like things might be getting fixed.... I uploaded two pages to my book today and no zoom issues. I didn't work with the book enough to confidently say that they've fixed the issue... but my experience today gives me hope. It does still make you choose a page layout for each new page you add which bugs me.

9. jaye

got an email from Blurb....book is being shipped!! I should have it next week :)

am up to March for 2014 in completed pages which means that 2015 is back to four months behind *sigh*

10. jk703

Yay! You have to take pictures of it, lol! I know... odd.. but then to show us! :)

11. jaye

my book came today and I LOVE it!!

12. sucali

sucali sucali

Oh wow! How exciting! Glad to hear you love it! Do you have some pictures for us?

13. jk703

Yay! Pictures? I haven't printed with them yet... but have heard good things!

14. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Yay! I'm so glad you love your book and that it was worth the frustrations. I finally finished my book two nights ago and am eagerly awaiting it's arrival on my door step too!

15. jaye

I will definitely take some pictures and share :). Best words I heard were from my son as he was looking through, 'mom this is great'. Now to push for finishing and catching up on my other projects :).

16. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

Love that!!