Feeling Old | Pad Patter 4.14

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Apr 14, 2019.

1. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I feel old when I go to Girl Scouts and there are all these young mom's running around with kids. So glad this is our last year and I won't feel so old any more. Then I go to bowling with the retired ladies every Thursday - where I am the "baby" at 58 and the lunch discussions are about how 72 isn't all that "old".

All relative....

Christina W and bestcee like this.
  2. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

It's totally relative, Bev. Most of the people in our neighborhood are a lot older than me. The lady across the street calls me "a baby".

3. amandac

amandac Read, or Run? Hmmm ...

Pretty much every day something makes me feel old :giggle.

The most recent thing was my youngest getting her drivers licence, so now she is out and about on her own as often as she can be and I don't need to be Mum's taxi anymore! Who would have thought I would MISS that?

56790836_10156540607783051_1176682419034521600_n.jpg

4. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I think that depends. My brother's kindergarten teacher is 21. One of my favorite childhood teachers was 68.

SeattleSheri and Tree City like this.
  5. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Things that make me feel old are realizing my siblings are older. Because that's always a moment when I go "wait, if they are x, that means I'm y!" And the high school reunion group that Facebook wants me to join. That makes me feel old.

6. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

You have a point. Teachers aren't hatched at retirement age. :) DD's fifth grade teacher graduated college mere months before the school year began so of course I was older than she was...actually, she was closer in age to her students than to most of the parents lol.

But my experience as an elementary student was different: all my teachers were old *to me*. Even my pregnant third grade teacher seemed old, although she was probably no more than 30. Did I have a horrible understanding of age? Probably. You were a kid or you were an adult, period. Kids: young. Adults: old.

And my comment wasn't to say all teachers are old but to point out how wrong I was as a kid lol.

7. LynnZant

LynnZant Well-Known Member

I'm approaching five 0 this year. Not happy about it because I don't feel old, but I sure look it. Makes me want to go all vampire and get rid of the mirrors.

Christina W likes this.
  8. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Got notification of my class reunion this summer. Knew it was happening this year but between a 45th class reunion and the 50th anniversary of the moon walk that I actually remember... made me feel much older today!

And, the FB notifications of people I know that are retiring are happening way more often... to them I say "you'll love it!"

9. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

I'm solidly in my mid-40's. I had my littlest dude when I was 43, so most people assume I'm younger than I am. I always laugh when people ask me if I'm having more ... um, I'm 45, so no, it's extremely unlikely. Some days I notice my age, but most days I just feel wiser than I was when I was younger. I totally wish I didn't have to contend with the physical aspects of aging, but I also know that I'm limited on what I can do about that. One of the gals on my team was talking about "old people who are in their mid-40's" to me and I was like ... "um, you mean like me?"

10. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I had my littlest at 40. When he was little, people either thought I was younger or thought I was his grandmother :giggle .
    Now that he is almost 14, one of the things that sometimes makes me feel older is being around most of his friends' moms, who are quite a bit younger than me. I'm still deciding whether he is the one that keeps me young, or the one that makes me feel really old...it's a day to day thing :giggle

SeattleSheri likes this.
  11. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

My husband and I were just talking about this last night ... when I was pitching a 3rd kid (it took me 10 years to convince him, lol :giggle), I said that it would keep us younger. Last night he declared that not to be the case, lol :giggle. I told him it was too soon to tell. I have to admit that sometimes I feel a smidge self-conscious (or maybe a little like an imposter) among the younger moms. The good thing about the area I live in is that it has a lot of "older" parents, so even the younger ones are in their 30's. Most of my friends didn't start their families until after 35 and some in their 40's.

IntenseMagic likes this.